mtbr member
    Mar 2014

kona hei hei 29er 2014..yay or nay?

Hi guys noob on here,have been enjoying life for the past 18 months bouncing around on my giant revel hardtail which I have upgraded the life out of and its time to spec up to a full suss.I'm a guy who likes to stay on the ground so I'm thinking a short travel 29er is my best bet.I've come across a kona hei hei 2014 at value so I'm thinkin of taking the plunge and blowing my Christmas cash on it!anyone with experience of the hei hei or owners I would appreciate your feedback..thanks

Short-Change-Hero
    Lots of guys ride the Hei Hei and say that it is a pretty good bike. Unless there is a significant deal on it that makes it better than anything else I would suggest going out and riding some different bikes. With Interbike around the corner everyone will be releasing their 2015 models which means that everything in stock will be going on discount to make room. This can be a good thing because any leftover 14 go on sale and leftover 13 go on deep discount.

Aside from that is there a specific reason you want to go to FS? Are your trails showing that you could benefit from it? Riding style? Bodily issues?
    These are all things that you should thing about when going after a new bike, then there is always the possibility of grabbing a higher end frame and throwing the "upgraded" items from your Revel on to it to save some cash up front and then upgrade to better parts down the road.
    Inbred 29r (Purple People Eater)
    HH Thumper (Blackheart)
    Bikes for Boobs F*ck Cancer! One too many, 6/24/13. Miss ya ma'.

mtbr member
    Mar 2014
    Just came across it brand new from a guy who is taking a hit on it from the retail price,all receipts and guaranteed. I'm just looking to make the step up to be honest without hitting my pocket real hard,have the hardtail 18 months now and have enjoyed every minute (bar the odd bar over slam!!) I'm more of an xc guy who likes speed and the ups as much as the downs and doesn't like to leave the ground often yet would like to try the full suss out??
    #fastrollin #nofallin

mtbr member
    Based on the uses you described I think the hei hei is a terrific bike. Like you I rode a 29er hardtail for some time and decided it was time to go full suspension. I just bought a new 2014 hei hei deluxe last month(at a significant discount) and I absolutely love the bike. The hei hei flat out rips (bested all my prior strava times within my first 2 rides). It pedals and climbs really well and is a lot of fun on the descents. The suspension works so well I have never felt the need to flip the ctd levers to climb mode. The bikes are specd with good components that just plain work. Prior to buying the hei hei I demoed a couple other higher end bikes and for me the hei hei beat em all regardless of price.