mtbr member

Kona Hei Hei at $1500?

For those that have the Hei Hei, what do you think about a new 2012 Kona Hei Hei at a $1500 price?
    Link to the exact bike I'm talking about.
    KONAWORLD

This would be my first 29mtb, I currently have two 26's, a rigid and a FS, 1997 and 2001 models. I'll probably get rid of both of these when I get the new bike.
    I've also been considering the Giant Anthem and Salsa Spearfish, but I do like Kona and I'm thinking this is a great price.

Rod
    Endorphin Junkie
    Quote Originally Posted by FloriDave View Post
    For those that have the Hei Hei, what do you think about a new 2012 Kona Hei Hei at a $1500 price?
    Link to the exact bike I'm talking about.
    KONAWORLD

This would be my first 29mtb, I currently have two 26's, a rigid and a FS, 1997 and 2001 models. I'll probably get rid of both of these when I get the new bike.
    I've also been considering the Giant Anthem and Salsa Spearfish, but I do like Kona and I'm thinking this is a great price.
    I have no experience with this fork or have even heard of it. I'm sure someone can chime in here. For that frame, which I'm assuming is just like the others, would be a great platform to put lighter parts on as your budget allows. I have no idea what your budget is, but I'm assuming it's around 2k because that's the lowest msrp I can find on the Anthem. I would buy the bike that fits you the best that has the best fork. Fit coming first of course. You won't ride a bike that has a great fork, but you're uncomfortable on it.
    There is not much choice between rotten apples.

mtbr member
    Two of the folks in my group ride them (different models...higher end). Both can't say anything bad about them. I believe the frame is the same between the various models, just different components. You can always upgrade things as you wear them out. The fork and wheels are going to be v. heavy but should work fine and would be prime candidates for upgrades down the road when things wear out. The components, while not the highest end, will get the job done well and should last. $1500 sounds like a great deal on this bike.
    Geologist by trade...bicycle mechanic (former) by the grace of God!

2012 Specialized Stumpy EVO 29 HT

mtbr member

Re: Kona Hei Hei at $1500?

I thought that was a super price too. I'll spend more like $2500 initially, if I get this I will get a set of super nice wheels for dirt and set the stock wheels up for road and paved bike trail riding, which I train on a lot.

Sent from my DROID X2 using Tapatalk 2

mtbr member
    That sounds like a good plan; wheels $~500 and I would seriously consider a fork. However, what can you get for $2500?
    Geologist by trade...bicycle mechanic (former) by the grace of God!

2012 Specialized Stumpy EVO 29 HT

mtbr member
    Dec 2010
    As far as a good deal- it's about 20% off M.S.R.P. but you have to look at the fact that the bike has likely been in your LBS inventory for well over a year- probably 14-16 months. It's not uncommon for some dealers to discount up to 25% at this stage and on very rare occasions for repeat customers-30%. So I wouldn't say it's a great deal but if you want the bike, 20% off is certainly not bad.

Having said that, as far as the bike itself, I don't own one but I did test ride a Hei Hei a couple of months ago and came away very, very impressed. t was a '13 Deluxe model, which does have better components and the M.S.R.P. is significantly more at $2899.

If you have $2500 to spend, I strongly encourage you to check out this exact bike and negotiate a $399 discount. Demo. it if at all possible. I am confident you would not regret spending the extra grand on the newer year, upgraded model with the Reba fork, Fox shock and Easton wheelset. This bike flat out rocks.

mtbr member

thanks for the thoughts guys. my number IS the out the door price actually $1479.

I'm currently on a GT Idrive TEAM with full XTR group, ( thought that is a 2001 model)

Sent from my DROID X2 using Tapatalk 2
    Last edited by FloriDave; 02-17-2013 at 11:53 AM.

mtbr member
    you can upgrade that fork to a reba for somewhere around 250 using ebay. you can prob get around 150 for your never ridden xc32 and get a reba for around 400 new. Or one like i'm about to sell that barely has been used for a little less(not trying to sell you mine just giving an example)
    For a FS kona rig with decent components that looks like a pretty good deal in my opinion. Hard to find any decent FS bikes in that price range.

mtbr member

Thanks guys, I pulled the trigger on this.

I'm putting Kenda Komfort tires on the stock wheelset for road workouts.
    Then I have a Stans Crest wheelset, Magura Storm SL rotors, Sram 1070 11x32 cassette, with the Maxxis Ignitor tires that came on the stock wheelset, I'll run those tubeless.

I have an assortment of seats, seatposts, stems and bars that I'll probably swap around. Most likely carbon bars.

I'm going to try the stock suspension for a while before I replace it. I know I can easily drop a pound with a fork change alone, but honestly, I live in Florida and for me suspension only has to soften the blow of roots and such, I'm not dealing with mountain descents or high demand suspension needs. We'll see, I'll upgrade fork and shock in a heartbeat if I feel like it's not working for me, or I want to drop some additional weight.

In any case, brand new Kona hei hei with two complete wheelsets fully ready to roll for just under $2200.

And I will be getting rid of 3 older bikes that this replaces.

Sent from my Droid tablet using Tapatalk 2

mtbr member
    Dec 2010
    Congratulations on the new bike. You made a great choice. I'm a big fan of the Kona Hei Hei. I would be interested in hearing a report after you've had a few rides on it.

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by dancingoutlaw View Post
    Congratulations on the new bike. You made a great choice. I'm a big fan of the Kona Hei Hei. I would be interested in hearing a report after you've had a few rides on it.
    I'll do that once I get it all together which will be next week.
    I did go ahead and order a new Reba RLT fork and am selling the XC32 on Ebay. I know if I don't do it now, I never will.

mtbr member
    After about 150 miles on the Kona, I've put together a little review...

http://irun100s.com/daveharper/?p=439

mtbr member
    nice review. I might eventually switch out my frame to a Satori(LT version of the Hei Hei)
    2012 Pivot Mach 429
    2010 Cervelo R3 SL