Thread: Kids on 29ers

mtbr member
    Jul 2013

Kids on 29ers

Upgraded my kids to 29ers since we couldn't find a 26" with quality components that didn't require lots of bucks to update. (Shimano tourney just didn't cut it anymore). They love them! My question is I am curious about is what are some good flat pedals for kids without doing plastic bmx? I ride with saints but the pins seem a little big for their smaller feet. Or maybe I should buy them teva links? pondering thoughts.

mtbr member
    Sep 2012
    Any cheap Wellgos, Will suffice and are available in many colors. Shop around and find them under $50.

mtbr member
    Jul 2013
    Agreed, I actually miss my old set of Wellgo's on my Diamondback.

mtbr member
    Jul 2013

"Bennies Platform Pedals" -Specialized

I'm am 14 and I'm currently riding a Specialized Stump Jumper FSR 29 Comp, I threw on "Bennies Platform Pedals" from specialized... and I absolutely love them! When I ride i usually wear skating shoes, and most skating shoes have that waffle bottom, and with this waffle texture the pedals spikes really stay planted into my shoes textured bottom and my feet don't move around the pedal too much.. Plus you can raise or lower the little spikes with a simple tool. Hope I helped!

Just A Mountain Biker.
    Quote Originally Posted by Loveriding View Post
    Upgraded my kids to 29ers since we couldn't find a 26" with quality components that didn't require lots of bucks to update. (Shimano tourney just didn't cut it anymore). They love them! My question is I am curious about is what are some good flat pedals for kids without doing plastic bmx? I ride with saints but the pins seem a little big for their smaller feet. Or maybe I should buy them teva links? pondering thoughts.
    I just ordered a Trek X-Caliber 6 29"er for my 12 year old, he outgrew the 24" wheels and like you we found that any "entry-level" 26" wheeled bikes are either non-existent or junk. Giant would have been an option with the 27.5" but finding one of those proved difficult. I thought that the idea of a 12YO on a 29" wheeled bike was ridiculous but it really fit him well! I was surprised.

As far as pedals, I just ordered him some Deity Compound pedals in red, I use them on my 29"er and find them to be light & grippy.
    26" isn't dead, it just got FAT