Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast
    mtbr member
    Apr 2008

Kent Eriksen / Steve Potts?

Thinking of building a geared 29er and wanted some feedback on which would be the better choice. Looking for feedback on working with either builder.

One plus for me in Colorado would be to go and visit Kent up in Steamboat.

Regards,
    Doug

human dehumidifier
    I wish I had tough decisions like that to make :-)

FWIW, I've got a steel Phoenix 26er, it's a great bike.
    NFL will punish America for its sins with Katy Perry as the Super Bowl halftime show.

Full Tilt Boogie
    May 2005
    I think that Kent builds nice bikes, but I think Steve is in a league of his own. I was talking to him recently and he told me that he's built over 3500 fillet brazed bikes. That's not including the tig'd steel at Ti stuff. That's experience that can't be beat in my opinion.
    I sell bikes here. Check out the Blog here. Facebook.

mtbr member
    Dec 2003

Yeah, tough choice....

Hard to go wrong with either one there. Talk to each and see who you connect with more/better.

those are Rollercams...
    Quote Originally Posted by benwitt11
    I think that Kent builds nice bikes, but I think Steve is in a league of his own. I was talking to him recently and he told me that he's built over 3500 fillet brazed bikes. That's not including the tig'd steel at Ti stuff. That's experience that can't be beat in my opinion.
    I don't think I could have said it better myself.

Truly a wealth of useless information.

http://blackdogadventureteam.blogspot.com/

rider
    Jan 2005
    Both build great bikes. But, perish the thought, if you ever had to sell it, the Potts bike would command a much better price. Just another thought to add to the mix.
    Abandoned the 26" wheel in May '03

mtbr member
    Apr 2008
    Quote Originally Posted by 29erchico
    Both build great bikes. But, perish the thought, if you ever had to sell it, the Potts bike would command a much better price. Just another thought to add to the mix.

Thanks, I've talked to Steve and the pricing is about the same for both frames. I'm leaning toward to Potts, It would be like owning a piece of Mt Bike history in my opinion.

N+1

walt

I know, it's not one of your listed options, but talk to Walt at waltworks. You could have your frame / fork by spring. His frames are appreciated by many, too. It's worth a phone conversation....and you could visit him in Boulder too!
    GET Bret Weir, I said.

mtbr member
    Apr 2008
    Quote Originally Posted by MichiganClydesdale
    I know, it's not one of your listed options, but talk to Walt at waltworks. You could have your frame / fork by spring. His frames are appreciated by many, too. It's worth a phone conversation....and you could visit him in Boulder too!
    Thanks! I just checked and the wait list is the same as a Potts, 4 months.

breathing helium
    I do not think that you can wrong with either one. I own an Eriksen and it is a stellar bike. Dealing with Kent was a true pleasure from start to finish. I would suggest that you go with the builder that you can visit for fitting and such. I think that would be pivotal for me. Steve makes great stuff too, so you win either way.

Stokeless Asshat
    If you were not already aware.

Potts/Ericsen...Ti only
    Walt...Steel only

My opinion? One of each.

DWF
    Non Dual Bliss
    Either way you're golden but how about the best of both worlds: Eriksen frame with a Potts Type II fork?

Steve & Kent are good friends and have been building for a similar length of time and are two of the nicest, most sincere guys in the biz.
    A man must have enemies and places he is not welcome. In the end we are not only defined by our friends but those against us.

Stokeless Asshat
    Quote Originally Posted by DWF
    Either way you're golden but how about the best of both worlds: Eriksen frame with a Potts Type II fork?

Steve & Kent are good friends and have been building for a similar length of time and are two of the nicest, most sincere guys in the biz.
    You took the words right out of my mouth.

Jeff

aka baycat
    Look at these ****ing welds! (Potts).

Step further. Potts frame, eriksen post

mtbr member
    Oh yeah......... look at these welds.

And Kent just won Titanium bike of the year at the 2009 NAHBS.

100% recycled
    Kent for sure - you can visit for measurements, to check on how your build is going, to get fit- ride out the shop and then a further fit. You will get alot more attention than just sending off your requirements and getting a frame in the mail.

You are going custom to get the best fit (otherwise it would be a standard frame - right?) so why not go with the guy that will give the best fit considering that the two are reasonably equal in everything else?

redefined
    I would go with an Eriksen. Especially considering you can go there and personally meet with him to discuss your needs and get fitted. That's invaluable imho.
    And though I can hide my cold gaze and you can shake my hand and feel flesh gripping yours...I simply am not there.

Black and Sticky
    Can't go wrong with either. Three years ago I was trying to make same decision. Here's what I chose. Only half a 29er, but still rolls sweet. What others have said about working with KE is exactly true.
    Attached Images Attached Images
    "Some people follow their dreams, others hunt them down and beat them mercilessly into submission." - Neil Kendall

mtbr member
    Jan 2004
    It's like asking the question, who has the better rack? Teri Hatcher or the chick who put the Moots seat post between hers?

Oh yeah, then think Eriksen.

mvi
    mtbr member
    Jan 2004

Only half a 29er,

Not to change the subject but how do you like that bike?

mtbr member
    Jul 2006
    Love - LOVE my ERIKSEN Ti 29er sooo much I did NOT order the Superfly 100 @ BRO deal.

Carl Strong is also an incredible builder and fun to work with. [watch his video at www.strongframes.com ]
    Grand claims demand grand proof.

mtbr member
    Bumping this thread. I know there's no possible way to lose with either. Considering the Potts just a tad more because of the closer driving proximity of Point Reyes to LA then Steamboat.

It would be nice to get fitted in person and meet rather then doing the phone thing....not that I couldn't make the drive to Steamboat.

The Cunnigham fork has me intrigued too. Any user comments on that ?

I could drop him an email but does anyone know if Steve's doing the 650b yet?

Frame price and wait time similar ?

Thanks.
    https://soundcloud.com/dave-ferris

'05 NY Steinway D
    Yamaha CP4
    Potts 29er
    Ellsworth Truth
    Litespeed Classic

Sup
    Why did you bump a thread from 2009?

Sj
    I am slow therefore I am

mtbr member
    Jul 2005

Thread Recycling

Last June, Steve Potts stopped in to visit Kent Eriksen's shop in Steamboat Springs where he actually did the finishing touches (i.e. "braze-ons") on my new KE road frame. Small world, et cetera.

mtbr member
    Steve and Kent are actually working together because the welder at Ericksen quit a while back. Kent has been doing the mitering and Steve's been doing a lot of the welding. It's a perfect combo in my opinion and as stated multiple times in this thread, you can't go wrong with either.

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast