Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast
    mtbr member

Kenda Recommendations?

Looks like my team will have a Kenda sponsorship this year. I don't know much about their line. I raced on Maxxis Ignitors last season and Bonty XDX's. Was looking at Racing Ralph's for this season but I just found out about the Kenda deal. Looking for something with some side bite, decent rolling and a reasonable weight. I also run tubeless with sealant. I'm in rocky New England as well so durability is needed.

I just looked at the Slant Six and the Karma. Any other choices?
    JRA Cycles
    My Trek HiFi
    NEMBA Racing
    SNEMBA
    I love learning new things in my pajamas.

mtbr member
    I have used Karmas 2.1 up front and 1.9 in back with no issues in upstate NY. In the thick slop they lack but they have done fine on loose over hard pack, rocks (no sidewall tears yet), damp, etc

Always Learning
    Quote Originally Posted by Tinshield
    Any other choices?
    Switch teams.

It's a whole new ballgame at Kenda this year for 29"ers. So you might just have to be the Guinea Pig and try them all out as their line up is brand spanking new.

Slant Six (combo of Nevegal and Small Block 8), Kozmik Lite II for rear, Klimax Lite, Happy Medium, as well as the old standards Karma 1.9's, Small Block 8, Nevegal.

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by BruceBrown
    Switch teams.
    LOL, there's no mandate so I can use other stuff but I thought I would ask anyway. Might start the season on the Ignitors.
    JRA Cycles
    My Trek HiFi
    NEMBA Racing
    SNEMBA

mtbr member
    I've been running Small Block 8 as my favorite rear tire for a few years. I've just snagged a couple of Ikons and am trying them out. But I have nothing but love for the SB8 on rocks and hardpack. If you deal with lots of wet trail conditions, it probably wouldn't work nearly as well, though.

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by direneed
    I've been running Small Block 8 as my favorite rear tire for a few years. I've just snagged a couple of Ikons and am trying them out. But I have nothing but love for the SB8 on rocks and hardpack. If you deal with lots of wet trail conditions, it probably wouldn't work nearly as well, though.
    Yeah they pack up too much. A friend was running them briefly.
    JRA Cycles
    My Trek HiFi
    NEMBA Racing
    SNEMBA

Nouveau Retrogrouch SuperModerator
    Switch teams.

It's a whole new ballgame at Kenda this year for 29"ers. So you might just have to be the Guinea Pig and try them all out as their line up is brand spanking new.

Slant Six (combo of Nevegal and Small Block 8), Kozmik Lite II for rear, Klimax Lite, Happy Medium, as well as the old standards Karma 1.9's, Small Block 8, Nevegal.
    Well, the Karma, SB8 and Nevegal are available. I would not count on seeing the other announced tires anytime soon. They still have not shipped some models that were announce at interbike 2009.
    mtbtires.com
    The trouble with common sense is it is no longer common

Always Learning
    Quote Originally Posted by shiggy
    Well, the Karma, SB8 and Nevegal are available. I would not count on seeing the other announced tires anytime soon. They still have not shipped some models that were announce at interbike 2009.
    Hmmmm....

I wonder what's up with Kenda? Announcements, new tires listed on their website - and no product.

I guess the OP is back to Karma/SB Eight/Nevegal - or switching teams.

Its got what plants crave
    I like Nevegal front, SB8 rear. I like the looks of the Slant Six as well and wouldn't mind giving it a try. I'd like to try it in the front on fast hardpacked rides instead of my Nevegal, with the SB8 rear. I bet that'd be a fast combo. Or for looser or more aggressive conditions, the Nevegal front and Slant Six rear.
    Ocala Mountain Bike Association - www.omba.org

mtbr member
    The nevegal is an awesome tire that can be ridden fine tubeless and in all 4 seasons; however, it weighs a ton and is one of the slowest rolling tires they make. I would stick with a karma up front and sb8 in rear or karmas all around if it is going to be wet.

San Miguel Beer Drinker
    Apr 2009
    I wonder if they'll come up with the dred tread for 29ers

Hmmmm....

I wonder what's up with Kenda? Announcements, new tires listed on their website - and no product.

I guess the OP is back to Karma/SB Eight/Nevegal - or switching teams.
    Not enough production capacity. They produce tires for other brands and their own models are being bumped.
    mtbtires.com

Flaccid Member
    Friends don't let friends ride Kenda.
    "i'll brazilian when YOU do boy, right around the ol' rusty star. Actually, whole fruit bowl. Get on it!" NicoleB

mtbr member
    SB8 for hardpack. The Slant Six looks promising, but who knows when it will be available in 29er or how much it will weight. I have heard rumors of under 600 grams to over 800 grams.
    CyclingCentralVa.org

Always Learning
    Quote Originally Posted by shiggy
    Not enough production capacity. They produce tires for other brands and their own models are being bumped.
    Well, at least they are making some money with those contracts for the other brands.

I do like the looks of some of the tread patterns they have listed on their site for 29"er, so I hope that someday in the future a couple of them get released. That Nevegal/SB 8 combo they are dubbing the Slant Six probably interests me the most to try - if and when.

BB

Well, at least they are making some money with those contracts for the other brands.

I do like the looks of some of the tread patterns they have listed on their site for 29"er, so I hope that someday in the future a couple of them get released. That Nevegal/SB 8 combo they are dubbing the Slant Six probably interests me the most to try - if and when.

BB
    Except they could make more selling their own brand. A peeve of the US office.

The Kommando is the new model that intrigues me. A scaled up version of their 'cross tire. The pic on the site is for the narrow version and the 1.9 and 2.2 look very different. Unlike any mtb tread as of yet.

pic from 29inches.com
    Last edited by shiggy; 02-20-2011 at 05:56 PM.
    mtbtires.com

mtbr member
    I just posted in another thread, but I am having the Slant Six put on my new bike right now and will be picking it up this weekend. They look very promising for New England terrain. A 6"-12" snow storm for tomorrow is going to make it a while till they see dirt though.

Where'd you find the slant six? I can't find anybody who has it in stock. Sorry to recommend a damn tire you can't even find, LOL.

NedwannaB

Regarding tubeless

Quote Originally Posted by Tinshield
    Looks like my team will have a Kenda sponsorship this year. I don't know much about their line. I raced on Maxxis Ignitors last season and Bonty XDX's. Was looking at Racing Ralph's for this season but I just found out about the Kenda deal. Looking for something with some side bite, decent rolling and a reasonable weight. I also run tubeless with sealant. I'm in rocky New England as well so durability is needed.

I just looked at the Slant Six and the Karma. Any other choices?
    From site:

"Kenda does not endorse the use of any fluid-based sealant products in any Kenda tube-type or tubeless-type tires. Use of any fluid-based products will void any warranty claims
    29'' models are L3R Pro compound"

Maybe your team sponsor will not worry about this. I realize people run various Kenda models with sealant. Their sidewalls seem to be a little less pourus then say WTB non-tubeless version. I am getting Karmas and was planning to get the Stans kit but am having second thoughts now. Think I'll run tubes first off and see how I like them.
    Wait,who did he tell you that?....

Trail Ninja
    I'd say fhaaaggit abowdit. From my experience, Kenda's no good in the NE. I rode SB8s and the rear sidewall got eaten up within 200 miles. Also, once the rocks and leaves got wet, it was slipping even on really slight inclines (I mean less than 5% grade). Also tried Nevegal but the sidewall is so flimsy and runs poorly with low pressures. The SB8 converted to tubeless easy enough though, but the sidewalls got shredded too much for tubeless on the rear end of the bike. They all pinch flat easily too--even if you pump them up over 35 psi and bounce off every rock, they'll still manage to pinch flat.

Haven't tried any of the new Kenda tires, but the only new one available is the Slant Six. Dunno if that has sidewalls that can withstand rocks though.

Fire XC Pros seem to be popular up there. Another friend of mine likes Rubber Queens for Diablo, but that's park riding stuff on a Kona Dawg or maybe his Stab. I'm a big Maxxis fan--I run High Rollers on my 26 since it loves to lean and Ikon EXO x2 my 29er XC bike (which had SB8s before). I highly recommend the Ikons.

Regarding tubeless fluids in Kendas, I have a set of UST Nevegals on my big hit bike, and the Stan's fluid has bubbled the inside of the casing. It's not leaking air but it's disconcerting.

mtbr member
    Bike29.com has the Slant Six, just not listed on the website yet. There are plenty of people running Kena tires tubeless and at 145lbs I am not to worried about softer sidewalls. This will be the first time I run any tire tubeless so we shall see how I like it. They are being mounted onto Crest rims. Worse thing that can happen is I switch back to tubes or move to a different tire.

mtbr member
    May 2009
    Hawley has a FEW of the Slant Six 29ers in stock. Mostly the 2.0s.

Any shop should be able to order them.

Has anyone seen how the volume of the 2.2 is? Is it big like the Nevegal 2.25? I think I'd like a 2.2 to run in the front, with a SB8 in the rear for fast and hard packed trails.

mtbr member
    No message
    Last edited by Rakuman; 02-28-2011 at 08:45 PM.
    I always type in bold cuz I'm blind as a bat
    For the Rich there is therapy!!!! for the rest of us we have Mountain Biking

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast