mtbr member
    Mar 2007

Kenda Kross Plus 700x42 Tire

What do you think of using these tires as a comuting option?
    They look like they might be good on some lite trails?

http://www.nashbar.com/profile.cfm?c...kking%2FHybrid

mtbr member
    Aug 2007
    Well, they're cheap. I've found that the cheap tires aren't the best option for a front tire because the tread compound is super hard. When it gets wet it tends to slip. A higher quality front and a cheap rear is the way to go. The rear will wear out faster anyways.

mtbr member
    Apr 2007
    They're cheap and cheerful but a 2" (51c) or larger tire would be better.
    Schwalbe Big Apple 2.0 or 2.35, Continental City Contact 47c or 54c.

You know, for kids
    check out the CST Servant 700x42 as well, a little better compound than the Kenda with kevlar protection and slightly smaller side knobs

disclaimer: I sell and repair bicycles

mtbr member
    Sep 2005
    I run a set of those on my Karate Monkey. So far I think they are great. I use them mostly for dirt road travel, but I have taken them on some steep loose rocky single track. Fast cornering on dirt road is no problem, they work pretty well. Stopping is not great great in the dirt, theylock up pretty easy. Trail riding is pretty good, they handle rocks and small ledges pretty well. When it gets steep and loose is when I get of the bike and walk. Fast tire and good cornering on pavement.

Plus they are inexpensive!!!
    Attached Images Attached Images

mtbr member
    Mar 2007

Wormdrive from Maxxis. 700X42mm with cornering knobs.

I was told these might be an option.

Wormdrive from Maxxis. 700X42mm with cornering knobs.

has anyone tried them?

Fat boy Mod Moderator
    skogorbet sweet setup thanks for the mini review... i'm looking at the same tires due to cost for my redline... how do you like them on the street?
    - Surly Disc trucker
    - '82 trek 560 roadie

mtbr member
    Sep 2005
    Thanks. I just did a ride today and hit 48 mph on a twisty downhill. They handled great and hugged the curves. They seem pretty fast on pavement, although most of my time is spent on dirt roads, so the pavement will seem faster. For $6 each, it's worth it to pick up a pair.

highly visible
    Stewie, I've commuted on both the Kross Plus K847 and the WormDrive in the 700x42 size, and done a bit of mud riding with both as well.

The two tires appear very similar, with a smooth or smooth-ish center section and substantial side knobs. But there are differences. Performance notes:
    - Weight. Kenda is about 630g, Maxxis is 450g. Maxxis will feel snappier in acceleration as a result. Also, the Maxxis is a folding tire; the Kenda is not.
    - Rolling resistance. Slight edge to the Kenda. Once up to speed, the Kenda rolls a bit faster due to its smoother center tread (despite the fact that the center tread is thicker). And it will roll noticeably faster than that CST Servant due to the smoother tread and lack of an energy-sapping Kevlar belt.
    - Puncture resistance. Kenda is MUCH better in this regard. Not flat-proof like a Kevlar belted tire, but the thick center tread will prevent almost all flats while rolling faster. How flat-resistant? I've commuted over plenty of glass shards with the Kenda as my primary rear tire through two dark, wet Portland winters and have yet to get a single flat.
    - Hard-surface traction. Again, Kenda gets the edge. Very grippy on wet pavement.
    - Offroad grip. You'd think there would be little difference given the similar tread patterns -- maybe an edge to the Maxxis given its directional side knobs -- but in practice I've found the Kenda to be noticeably better. You won't mistake it for a knobby, but I've taken the Kenda on plenty of trips through muddy Forest Park and gotten through just fine. I've done that with the WormDrive too, but it was trickier and I had to slow down more to keep the rubber side down.
    - Snow and ice. Snow gives a similar performance margin as Mud to the Kenda. Oddly, the Maxxis excels on ice. I can't really explain it, but my experience with the Maxxis from at least 2-3 icy occasions is it's one of the best tires I've tried on ice. Of course if you ride on ice a lot you need studded tires, but there it is FWIW.
    - Cornering. Sorry. Although I have run both of these tires in front, I have a lot more experience with them as rear tires and can't really judge the cornering. It's possible the directional side knobs on the Maxxis could give it the edge, but that's just speculation. For commuting ONLY without respect to offroad performance, I strongly prefer a tire WITHOUT side knobs, because you can corner a lot faster and with more confidence on wet pavement. I've crashed on wet pavement when side knobs failed to hold, and that's no fun. Currently a big fan of the Maxxis OverDrive, and will be running the 700x38 version as my winter commute tire.

Bottom line is that the Kenda is overall a better tire for commuting and moderate offroading UNLESS the lighter weight or foldability of the Maxxis tilts the balance the other way for you. Also, IMO a semislick with side knobs is nowhere near as good for commuting as a round tire once the pavement gets wet. Check out the Kenda Kwick Roller EZ-Ride as an in-between alternative up front: available in 3 sizes up to 700x45, lighter than the Kross Plus even in its biggest size, faster rolling than either of the other two tires discussed above, smoother on the sides and better cornering than either (but not a true slick and not quite as round as the OverDrive).
    Last edited by GlowBoy; 09-17-2008 at 10:14 PM.
    "People like GloyBoy are deaf. They are partisan, intellectually lazy & usually very angry." -Jaybo

ballbuster

Heh, funny you should ask

Quote Originally Posted by stewie
    What do you think of using these tires as a comuting option?
    They look like they might be good on some lite trails?

http://www.nashbar.com/profile.cfm?c...kking%2FHybrid
    I just got a pair of those for my CX bike. Turns out they don't fit my frame. I might try them on my 29er. They seem wide enough. I installed them on my Sun CR18 rims on my CX bike, and they were plenty wide for those rims, so fit on a 29er rim, even a wide-ish one should be fine.

mtbr member
    Mar 2007

Tube options for the 42 tires..thanks Glowgoy

Thanks for all you comment.

What size tube could I get away with.

I have a couple that fit a size 700x35.would that work on a 700x42?

I was riding 2.25 tubless.
    I had and am still getting over a serious accident. I fractured my pelvis real bad so I am off my one foot for 6 weeks!
    I kind of blame this on my lack of knowledge how tubless work.
    I had a bump with these tires and I broke a beed and damaged the side wall which caused the tire to unravel which through me onto a road.

So that is why I am going 700x42 with tubes.

What is a folding tire mean?
    Weight. Kenda is about 630g, Maxxis is 450g....is this an important consideration?

so the Kross Plus K847 seem like a good tire.

anyone else smell that?
    Quote Originally Posted by stewie
    Thanks for all you comment.

What size tube could I get away with.

I have a couple that fit a size 700x35.would that work on a 700x42?

I was riding 2.25 tubless.
    I had and am still getting over a serious accident. I fractured my pelvis real bad so I am off my one foot for 6 weeks!
    I kind of blame this on my lack of knowledge how tubless work.
    I had a bump with these tires and I broke a beed and damaged the side wall which caused the tire to unravel which through me onto a road.

So that is why I am going 700x42 with tubes.

What is a folding tire mean?
    Weight. Kenda is about 630g, Maxxis is 450g....is this an important consideration?

so the Kross Plus K847 seem like a good tire.
    i'm actually running stretched out 26er tubes in my 700 x 42 kendas. so yeah..i'd guess the 35 would be o.k.
    1. Your signature can not be longer than 125 characters.

highly visible
    Stewie, I personally don't think the weight is a big consideration unless you're racing. Just means the bike will feel very slightly slower to accelerate with the Kendas as opposed to the Maxxis. Even the Kenda is lighter than most 2.25 tires, so I really doubt it's a big deal.

The tubes I personally use for this size tire are labeled 700x35-44, so obviously they can stretch quite a bit without compromising their integrity. If your tire is labeled simply 700x35 you'll probably be OK, but if it's labeled with a range (such as 700x28-35) and 35 is the high end of a range, that's probably too much of a stretch (so to speak).

Just the same, if you're recovering from injuries caused by a tire failure, why not be on the safe side, get yourself to a bike shop and buy the correct size tube?

Folding tire means exactly that: the tire can be folded up and stuffed in a bag. Nice feature if you're going on a remote adventure and want to carry a spare. Otherwise the big advantage of folding tires is substantially lighter weight, due to their use of Kevlar or a similar material for the bead instead of steel wire. But, again, that's not a big deal.
    "People like GloyBoy are deaf. They are partisan, intellectually lazy & usually very angry." -Jaybo

more beers, lees gears.
    i find folding tires are often easier to get on the rim.
    A burrito is a sleeping bag for ground beef.

mtbr member
    Mar 2007

Will I need to change my gears with faster tires?

Just another thought.
    A guy I was talking to changed his Cobia to these narrower tires.
    He found that he was running out of gears as his bike was so much faster.
    He just had the sock tires 2.25 that came with the cobia.

do you think that is an issue?

thanks

mtbr member
    Apr 2006
    On the road, perhaps, but I can't imagine going down singletrack in 44x12, spun out with skinny semi-slicks on. Maybe I'm just not being imaginative enough.

Even on the road, you're going north of 35mph at 120rpm with that gearing.

ballbuster

I've done it

Quote Originally Posted by justinb
    On the road, perhaps, but I can't imagine going down singletrack in 44x12, spun out with skinny semi-slicks on. Maybe I'm just not being imaginative enough.

Even on the road, you're going north of 35mph at 120rpm with that gearing.
    ... loaded up wtih 20 pounds of camping gear on 26" wheels. Just hope no surprises pop out in front of you, and hope your wrists are in good shape. I even took my CX bike to China Camp once on 30c tires. It wasn't too bad, apart form the wrist pain. I was skipping off all the rocks into random directions, but nothing I coulnd't handle. I certainly wouldn't rail at top speed at the limts of traction.

more beers, lees gears.
    yeah, on the road a 44/12 may seem to top out. but you would only ever use another gear or two.

My wife complains about the same thing since adding slicks to her commuter. the 40 tooth big ring isnt beg enough she says. Considering its an XS frame, a 50 tooth road ring would look goofy.
    A burrito is a sleeping bag for ground beef.