mtbr member
    Nov 2016

Keep my Ripley or get a Fuel EX 9.9?

I currently ride a 2018 Ibis Ripley LS X01 Werx build, and absolutely love it. But, I've been eyeing the Fuel EX 9.9 for awhile and recently found a 2017 model that I'm considering buying.

I've only ridden the 2017 Fuel EX 9.8, and the suspension definitely was not set up properly for my weight, so let's throw that ride out the window. That leaves me asking, has anyone directly compared a Ripley LS to the 2017 Fuel EX 9.9? I understand this model doesn't have the latest thru-shaft technology rear shock, and I've read mixed reports on how the Fuel climbs - a lot of people say it bobs under hard pedaling, others say the suspension works with outstanding efficiency.

What I'm mainly concerned with is climbing efficiency. The Fuel 9.9 is about 2lbs lighter than my Ripley overall (25.1lbs vs 26.8lbs). But, what about the suspension? How does the 2017 version of the Fuel EX compare to the Ripley's DW link?

I mainly ride flat terrain with minor elevation change and man-made obstacles, roots etc here in Florida, but 3-4x a year I take trips out of state, mainly to NC and ride Pisgah and Dupont. Since the trails here are so flat, I strongly value pedaling efficiency, because fast is fun, and efficiency is the only way to go fast here. But I don't want to be outgunned when I take it up to the mountains.

Should I stick with my Ripley or go for the Fuel EX 9.9?

mtbr member
    May 2005
    The 2lbs won't make much difference here in FL, unless you are racing at top-level. I have fs bikes ranging from XC 24lbs to trail 29lbs, and have set pr's on all.....it depends more upon me, the effort I put forth and trail conditions.
    That said, there are some very tight/twisty trails, such as Gilligan's @ Oleta, where my XC is faster/ less-taxing as steering is faster/lighter.
    If you can afford to have two bikes, one more XC and one more trail, then it gives you variety, and then the trail bike will be really nice for trips north.
    That said, if it's one or the other bike, then it's always fun to change things up and make the experience of riding different, as the bikes will feel different. Don't worry about 3-4 trips and being "out-gunned", as you can always rent a bike well-suited to the area you intend to ride.

mtbr member
    Jan 2012
    You need both and maybe a Yeti SB100 to make a trio.

mtbr member
    Jul 2013
    I have owned a fuel and demo'd a Ripley. The ripley is a better bike. I cant think of one thing the trek does better. A fuel frame is definitely not 2lbs lighter than a ripley either, so if you want a lighter bike, see what parts you can change on yours to reduce the weight. It will cost less than a new bike at least...

mtbr member
    Jan 2016
    You end up with 2 bikes that are very similar----I would not do this---buy something either more XC or All Mountain--both the Rip and the Trek are great bikes and are aimed at the same market and despite feedback I doubt you can see the diff for all that cash

mtbr member
    Jul 2008
    Keep The Ripley LS, if pedal effenciecy is #1 factor not sure you will be happy with the modified single pivot from Trek (albiet I have not ridden a Fuel, I demoed a Remedy).
    XC, Road, XXC, Endurance, Mtn, All-Mtn, Cross, Gravel, just go have fun on 2 wheels!

mtbr member
    Nov 2016
    Quote Originally Posted by pctloper View Post
    You end up with 2 bikes that are very similar----I would not do this---buy something either more XC or All Mountain--both the Rip and the Trek are great bikes and are aimed at the same market and despite feedback I doubt you can see the diff for all that cash
    I'd be buying the Trek very lightly used for under $4k, and I should be able to get over $5k for my Ripley with the components it has, so I'd be coming out on top money wise.

Yeet so hard
    If you love your Ripley, keep it! What if you go through all this and don't like the Fuel?

If you have some cash burning a hole in your pocket, get something completely different. Perhaps a stache? The 29+ wheels should be great on what I presume is sandy soil. If you value efficiency over anything you can go carbon, rigid.
    Guerrilla Gravity BAMF
    Smash

mtbr member
    Nov 2016
    Quote Originally Posted by tims5377 View Post
    If you love your Ripley, keep it! What if you go through all this and don't like the Fuel?

If you have some cash burning a hole in your pocket, get something completely different. Perhaps a stache? The 29+ wheels should be great on what I presume is sandy soil. If you value efficiency over anything you can go carbon, rigid.
    I already have a Stache 9.8

I'm thinking I may buy the Fuel since it's a really good deal. If I don't like it, I can sell it and break even.

mtbr member
    Jul 2008
    But no warranty..if that matters to you.
    XC, Road, XXC, Endurance, Mtn, All-Mtn, Cross, Gravel, just go have fun on 2 wheels!

Yeet so hard
    Quote Originally Posted by matt.s67 View Post
    I already have a Stache 9.8

I'm thinking I may buy the Fuel since it's a really good deal. If I don't like it, I can sell it and break even.
    I KNEW it was a good idea
    Guerrilla Gravity BAMF
    Smash

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by Brodon View Post
    I have owned a fuel and demo'd a Ripley. The ripley is a better bike. I cant think of one thing the trek does better. A fuel frame is definitely not 2lbs lighter than a ripley either, so if you want a lighter bike, see what parts you can change on yours to reduce the weight. It will cost less than a new bike at least...
    This

mtbr member
    Jul 2013
    Dude asks for advice, people tell him not to do it, he then posts that he's going to do it. I don't know why we even respond to these type of threads...

mtbr member
    Jun 2014
    Quote Originally Posted by Brodon View Post
    Dude asks for advice, people tell him not to do it, he then posts that he's going to do it. I don't know why we even respond to these type of threads...

#1 reason I'd never do this- warranty. Carbon bikes, especially trail bikes are going to break eventually and you'll be SOL. Good luck!

mtbr member
    Jun 2008
    Ripley is the better bike. Sounds like you want to do this to make money? I wouldn't be so sure you can make a profit on this - I think the most people negotiate their Pinkbike/Craigslist. Unless you have buyer lined and agreed upon price.

So you may or may not end up with with more money in your pocket and worse bike. Sounds like you're getting what you pay for. And yes - you negate the excellent Ibis warranty and get zero warranty from Trek.

mtbr member
    Oct 2014
    The lack of warranty would bother me too. I have a buddy that has been through multiple front and rear triangles on the fuel ex. The crazy thing is the front triangles weren't even from crashes. (I'm not saying that Trek makes bad bikes... but I would just be nervous without a warranty)

mtbr member
    Ripley all day

mtbr member

Keep my Ripley or get a Fuel EX 9.9?

I'm in Florida too. A few months back I tested a LS back to back with a 9.9 on identical trail loops in my backyard (Santos reds and blues). Both seemed to be set up well by the mechanics for my weight.
    My summation was the Trek was a light and efficient. Great mix of raceable trail bike. The Ibis was a funner trail bike with a more relaxed attitude, and climbed with a much better feel in the rear when climbing steep rocky tech than the Trek. The LSs 2.6 tires differentiated the two further as well fwiw.
    In the end, I put a premium on rear suspension performance, I split the difference and went with a Pivot 429T frame and built to 25.0#- completely happy camper!
    Last edited by Noclutch; 1 Week Ago at 07:45 PM.

mtbr member
    Feb 2012
    Quote Originally Posted by sml-2727 View Post
    Ripley all day
    Every day and twice on Sunday. And I've owned a Fuel 9.9 and currently a Remedy 9.8. I like Trek but would take the Ripley every single time.

mtbr member
    Nov 2016
    I've decided to forget about the Fuel. Thanks everyone for your input.

mtbr member
    Oct 2014
    Quote Originally Posted by matt.s67 View Post
    I've decided to forget about the Fuel. Thanks everyone for your input.
    I support this! Good job on fighting off new bike-itis.

mtbr member
    Jul 2013
    Bravo sir! Put some juicy new parts on that sweet Ibis of yours.

mtbr member
    Aug 2011
    Quote Originally Posted by JonJones View Post
    Every day and twice on Sunday. And I've owned a Fuel 9.9 and currently a Remedy 9.8. I like Trek but would take the Ripley every single time.
    ditto. Ripley FTW.