mtbr member

Karate Monkey fork on Paragon?

2011 Paragon frame. Would I be crazy to build it using a Karate Monkey fork? The frame is designed around 100mm. The Surly fork is corrected for 80mm. Would I be mucking about too much with the geometry?

mtbr member
    Feb 2007
    The KM fork isn't much to speak of. Why not just spend a bit more for something that will fit the Paragon better?

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by mhickey79 View Post
    The KM fork isn't much to speak of. Why not just spend a bit more for something that will fit the Paragon better?
    I have one laying around I'm not using. My other choice is a 100mm travel Tora from a few years back. I was just idly thinking it might be fun to build the bike rigid, but probably I'll go w/the Tora.

Expert Crasher
    Quote Originally Posted by mhickey79 View Post
    The KM fork isn't much to speak of.
    There are a ton of them in use across the globe. Many would probably disagree with you. The myth that the KM fork is bad because it is rigid has grown legs on this forum, to the point that many (not saying you are) reiterate this without having ever ridden one.

I think the OP is focused on geometry and outcome. To that, I say give it a try. Worse thing that could happen is you switch to that Tora.
    Happiness depends more on the inward disposition of mind than on outward circumstances. Benjamin Franklin

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by GreenLightGo View Post
    I think the OP is focused on geometry and outcome.
    Yes. I have no issues with quality of fork. I actually run one on a Rockhopper 29er. I threw it on there one fall along with some cyclocross tires for a kid who wanted to run a triathlon and he needed a bike. It feels so right I've not bothered to take it off. No great need for suspension where I live.

If I'd bought a frame built around 80mm travel, I'd do the KM fork no question.

mtbr member
    Nov 2011
    Take this with a grain of salt since everything I know I've learned from these forums. I'm no engineer but I think it's worth trying.
    The Gary Fisher frames seem to have very laid back head angles. I gather the 20mm difference should steepen the head angle by about 1 degree.
    I found my X-Caliber to be a bit slow handling - 1 degree steeper would be interesting to try.

Since you've already got the fork, why not try it.
    One thing, that hydro formed aluminum frame along with the KM fork, which has a reputation for being very stiff, is going to make a very rigid, rigid setup.