Thread: K2 zed 3.29

mtbr member

K2 zed 3.29

Been thinking about the K2 zed 3.29. My wife gave me the go ahead to get a new bike and we just found out that she is pregnant so I'm on a reeeaaaaaaallly tight budget and I've been reading really good things about this bike from reviews. I'll probably be able to upgrade components over time. Can't find any geometry and such on this bike anywhere. I've heard that the sizes run large. Can anyone share the standover height of the Small frame? I would really appreciate that. Thanks.

mtbr member
    I would say at that price you want to look at a rigid single speed. The K2 has really low end components, and I don't see them lasting too long. You will end spending more on replacing components than you paid for the bike in time. It's not even worth buying and upgrading. Get either a used bike or a rigid single speed, and save up for a nicer bike down the road.

mtbr member
    Used will be you best bang for the dollar

Trail Tire TV on blogger
    don't think they have all the geo spec... but here's their web site...
    Zed 3.29 | Specifications

I had a K2 Apache 5.0 up until a yr ago.. man I kinda miss that bike. it was a tad tall but short length wise, not sure how the Zed compares.

like others said, you could get a used bike, but honestly, for a 29er, with disc brakes, at the $350 range it's not a terrible unit.

Short-Change-Hero
    If you are that tight of a budget then go with a used if you can find something...
    Dont forget about bikesdirect too for some good budget deals.
    Inbred 29r (Purple People Eater)
    HH Thumper (Blackheart)
    Bikes for Boobs F*ck Cancer! One too many, 6/24/13. Miss ya ma'.

mtbr member
    Thanks guys, I've been trolling craigslist and bikes direct. Hopefully a good used one will come up soon. I appreciate the input!

Is dang happy!
    It actually has a cassette and not a freewheel!
    Plan on replacing the fork but it is as good or better than most 26"wheeled bikes in that price range.
    The wheel is a extension of the foot

mtbr member
    I compared it to the Specialized Hardrock 29er and while Specialized is a trusted name and K2 is a company/brand that I don't know too much about, the components on both bikes are about the same give or take and that's what made me curious about this bike. Most reviews on it were pretty good, but components such as the generic wheels and the lower end sunrace and sram drive train have me questioning it's integrity. I mostly ride xc singletrack with some pretty technical and rocky areas here and there. I considered this bike because with my budget I was thinking of getting on something decent and replacing and upgrading components as they break over time. I may be able to convince the Mrs. to let me go a little higher on the price. Was looking at the Gravity 29point1 as well but since I'm from Texas, I get to pay taxes on it. Worth it but it would be stretching it a little far.

mtbr member
    Apr 2012
    Hi, Im thinking about getting a K2 Zed 3.29 from nashbar I like it exactly like the picture?
    i like the frame geometry of it how its almost a traingle compared to the one on the k2 website and amazon do you know if I order a medium that it will be the same? I would really hate it when I order it and it will be not like the picture from nashbar. Anyone bought this bike recently?

mtbr member
    Jul 2012
    If you guys are still looking at this bike, Nashbar has it for $299 up until midnight tonight.

mtbr member
    May 2012
    Mine has been great started at 327lbs back in march closing in on 280lbs today. I ride the bike daily with no problems so far.