Thread: K2 29er's

Just Ride!

K2 29er's

It's official, I think there are now more than enough brands to declare 29er's as a BOOM! With a mention of the brand in the Bianchi thread by TheSingleGuy, I rummaged through Google and found the K2 Big Train 800 (cheap sus fork) and the Big Ship 1200. They seem to be for the Japanese market only.
    Attached Images Attached Images

Cold. Blue. Steel.
    Wow- cool find. They say the Japanese copy other's orignal ideas, and then make them even better. Do our friends in the far east have a better handle on how great big wheels are? They didn't invent them, but are they going to bring the evolution along even faster than the U.S. can? Will I soon need to "drive" a Japanese 29er similar to my need to drive a Japanese mini pickup truck?!
    Spinning and Grinning...

Recovering couch patato
    Cheap sus fork? It says original superlite steel here...

What's with slack head tube angles in Japan? It does look pretty rad though. Another good find!

Also look at the pavement-only low BB.
    Klok - XC - Skate - Ski

Recovering couch patato
    Wait a minute, are those the first real pics of a Kenda Karma? If not, reject my donor eyes if you're in a hospital to get new ones!
    Klok - XC - Skate - Ski

Bored
    Quote Originally Posted by Cloxxki
    Also look at the pavement-only low BB.
    BB drop is not much different than a 02 to 04 Fisher HT frame. Plus, you get a super stable ride. Maybe it makes sense for the trails there.
    MTBR is serious stuff.
    You never get better until you get out of your comfort zone.

Just Ride!
    Cheap sus fork? It says original superlite steel here...
    Suspension fork comes on the Big Train, not the Big Ship, see image.

What's with slack head tube angles in Japan?
    Short people = short top tube = toe overlap problem = chopper 29er's. At least that is my theory.

Recovering couch patato
    It's a way around it, but not a real solution, IMHO. That bike must be a great DH, and not much else. They could have gone for a shorter stem. Seems to keep DH bikes very ridable.
    Klok - XC - Skate - Ski

(was) Big in Japan

CooL! Someone noticed my post!

Quote Originally Posted by kustomz
    ... With a mention of the brand in the Bianchi thread by TheSingleGuy...
    I'm famous!!!! AT LAST.

Just kidding! Yep, I hadnt noticed the Big-Ship, but I've been trying not to rush out and buy the Big-train. I've got a hydro disc set and disc hubs waiting for it, would just need to build up my hubs using its rims, do a SS conversion and WOOHOO! Also have an instigator fork lying around, maybe would cure the HA thing - but toe overlap might be a problem...

Actually, one of my good friends, JapanRider, found the inspiration he needed to go 29 when he saw the BigTrain in out local sports-store. He sat on it, and immediately found the wheel size he'd been missing (I guess the difference is more pronounced when you are over 6 foot 3 tall). He grabbed a Rig, and hasn't looked back. I haven't ridden with him on it yet, but in the six weeks he's had it, his Yeti ASR has been ridden a total of ZERO times.

Dammit, I had cured myself of the 29er urge until yesterday!

You guys suck.

I think its awesome to have a few entry-level 29ers around - can only be good to introduce new riders to the genre, and I think these bikes would be a hit everywhere. They should have been released all over, I have no idea why they are here. I have a friend who owns a pretty big bike shop in Nagoya, I'll see if he knows anything, and pass it on...
    Ride.

(was) Big in Japan

by the way,

Just found another couple of 29ers in my ALL-CATALOG. Thats the name of the catalog produced which contains every MTB sold in Japan each year. They are from ANCHOR - which is Bridgestone's performance bike company over here these days. seem like nice bikes, and there are also a few custom guys and small builders doing 29ers here now too. Amazing!

Sorry for picture quality, were taken with my cell-phone, I couldn't get the lighting right, and I've had two beers...
    Last edited by TheSingleGuy; 04-01-2005 at 02:53 AM. Reason: apology
    Ride.

Always Learning
    Wait a minute, are those the first real pics of a Kenda Karma? If not, reject my donor eyes if you're in a hospital to get new ones!
    I don't know, one of the Japanese online Bike shops lists the Big Ship 1200 tire spec as:

KENDA 700X50C

BB

(was) Big in Japan
    Quote Originally Posted by BruceBrown
    I don't know, one of the Japanese online Bike shops lists the Big Ship 1200 tire spec as:

KENDA 700X50C

BB
    I've seen it in person, and it comes with big fat Kenda slicks. One of the reasons I've been able to resist so far, as no LBS carries 29er knobbies yet.

OOPS, that's the BigTrain I was talking about.
    Ride.

what a joke
    I love the fact that its described as a "high grade model mountain motorcycle".
    blah blah blah

(was) Big in Japan
    Quote Originally Posted by ozlongboarder
    I love the fact that its described as a "high grade model mountain motorcycle".
    translation software at its finest. Some of the things I've seen it produce would be a hit on any comedy program. For example, the word please, or "kudasai" came out as "BOTTOM RHINOCEROS."
    Ride.

Recovering couch patato
    Sounds like Kenda Khan 50c. If Khan is a Japanese word, I can imagine it being described in just one character :-)

I once had an hilerious FrontPage presentation fwd'd to me, with official signs in Japan, telling us to do something, or not do something, in a machine-translation kind of way. Too funny.

If someone could tell Japan how silly such translations look, even a non-Japanese speaker could have a nice job checking English texts pre-print.

I remember talking to a Bridgestone big shot at a bike show, he was so happy someone talked to him, asking about his product. I may have slipped some references to increased rubber surface on bikes...

But really, does Japan now have more complete 29" bikes than the USA and Europe combined? Haha!
    Klok - XC - Skate - Ski

(was) Big in Japan

But really, does Japan now have more complete 29" bikes than the USA and Europe combined? Haha!
    I don't know about that, but I think that one advantage Japan has is that it has a huge market of people who are ready to spend cash. They are happy to pay top-dollar, even seem to prefer to, and I guess when there are 126,000,000 people throwing money around, it attracts attention.

There are also a ton of collectors, looking for eclectic or rare stuff, especially that produced overseas, so my semi-educated guess is that these two factors attract more than Japan's fair share of the world's bicycles.

I also read something along the lines of "there are more vintage Harley-Davidson motorcycles in Japan than in the USA" so it isn't just limited to MTB.

Oh, and by the way, they are getting taller over here. I am often surprised at how many tall people there are. Still nothing like Australia (the only other place I know), but all the same, was quite an eye-opener for me.
    Ride.

(was) Big in Japan

Not to get OT here, but

I once had an hilerious FrontPage presentation fwd'd to me, with official signs in Japan, telling us to do something, or not do something, in a machine-translation kind of way. Too funny.

If someone could tell Japan how silly such translations look, even a non-Japanese speaker could have a nice job checking English texts pre-print.
    Go for it! Just remember that to even get hired by a Japanese company you'd have to be as proficient at their language as you, Cloxxki, are at English. Sure, anyone could proof-read translated passages, but to work along-side Japanese people all day would be an entirely different challenge! I've seen enough people struggle with this even when here only for a year to know it's true.

If you really want to laugh at Japanese, check out Engrish.com but remember how bad we'd all be if we tried to write something in their language.

Guess I did get OT, but I have a big soft spot for my current home. I think Japan and Japanese people are hugely misunderstood, partly because of history, and partly because of lack of up-to-date information.
    Ride.

featherweight clydesdale
    Quote Originally Posted by TheSingleGuy
    Just found another couple of 29ers in my ALL-CATALOG. Thats the name of the catalog produced which contains every MTB sold in Japan each year. They are from ANCHOR - which is Bridgestone's performance bike company over here these days. seem like nice bikes, and there are also a few custom guys and small builders doing 29ers here now too. Amazing!

Sorry for picture quality, were taken with my cell-phone, I couldn't get the lighting right, and I've had two beers...
    Bridgestone made some pretty cool bikes back in the early 90's. An MB-1 was near the top of my wish list back then.

(was) Big in Japan
    Quote Originally Posted by Fattirewilly
    Bridgestone made some pretty cool bikes back in the early 90's. An MB-1 was near the top of my wish list back then.
    They've still got an impressive array over here. Can you still buy them (new models) elsewhere?
    Ride.

willtsmith_nwi

Ditto

Quote Originally Posted by kustomz
    Suspension fork comes on the Big Train, not the Big Ship, see image.

Short people = short top tube = toe overlap problem = chopper 29er's. At least that is my theory.
    I'll ditto that answer. the alternative is a reverse stem and return to endo-land. Everything is a tradeoff.

The low chainstay is also necessary to "squeeze" the rider in without making the wheel base to large and unwieldly for such a small rider.