Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast
    mtbr member
    Mar 2009

Just ordered a clearance Focus Black forest 2.0.. Give me the good/bad news

It was 50% off because it was actually a 2011. I see specs dropping and prices rising every year, so this was actually not a bad thing for me at all. I can see 29er technology improving a little every year as they take over, but it looks pretty good regardless. I was going to order the Focus Black Forest 1.0 I was looking at last night (retail $2100, selling for $1049) this morning, but the da*n thing sold out over 10 hours, I couldn't believe it. Kind of sad for me, kind of cool for somebody else that probably posts here. But the two bikes had the same geo and the same fork, so I'm only screwed a little I guess.

But anyways, it looks to me like I got a pretty sweet deal on a German made bike. The TT length is shorter than what I like, but that is the case with 90% of the MB's out there today, and I'll just purchase a really long stem. But does anybody have anything terrible to say about this bike? Anything good? I didn't want to post this before I bought one of those bikes because I thought somebody would buy them lol.. And somebody did buy that nicer looking 1.0 last night.

Here it is. Focus Black Forest 29 2.0 Bike 2011 > F > Focus | Jenson USA Online Bike Shop

I have purchased 3 MBs from LBS's with mixed results, and my buddy who runs the Trek store would have done me a good deal on a Cobia, but I just don't like the "wide" feel of Treks. And that may not make sense, but that is just a "personal fit" thing I have noticed about the newer models. The 2013 Cobia is spec'd pretty nice and is a cool bike overall, however. But for $800 out the door with some nice pedals I think I did OK, maybe even better than $1G+ tax for a new Cobia. And if you are the person who got that 50% off 1.0 I wanted to order, go ahead and rub it in.

mtbr member
    Jan 2012
    You did yourself a favor with the 2.0. 370 hubs are 3 pawl low quality, Alixir brakes are replaced quickly.
    Your bike has the same fork and good quality drive components. Everything you need.

mtbr member
    Jan 2013
    Quote Originally Posted by eb1888 View Post
    ou did yourself a favor with the 2.0. 370 hubs are 3 pawl low quality, Alixir brakes are replaced quickly.
    Your bike has the same fork and good quality drive components. Everything you need.
    +1 on this

Couldn't agree more on the Alixir brakes..

mtbr member
    Mar 2009
    I was happy with the brakes on the 2.0, and thanks for the responses. The 1.0 was triple butted which I believe takes off a couple pounds, and weight is the only thing that makes the 2.0 not look like a top level <2000 bike to me. But I'm pretty exited, and once I get a long stem on there I'm going to really use this bike a lot on some local trails.

Crash Dummy In Training
    Nice Deal good fork and components
    I don't think you could buy the part's you got for $750 ?
    Cheapest I found the reckon Silver 100 mm for was $277.23 shipped
    Keep us updated on the performance and handling of this one.
    ​​
    2012 Stump Jumper Comp 29'er H.T.
    1997 Rock Hopper / Manitou TI Bulge Fork / Shimano STX-3 x 7 P.O.S.​

mtbr member
    Mar 2009
    Thanks, I will. I'm sure with the "bronze build" I will have to play with the tension wires for the RD to get it right (but I hope not lol).. But I'm looking forward to getting this. It's not a 3g carbon rig by any stretch, and it's actually really heavy tbh, but I have to think German bike kind of heavy = tough and lasting, although not super fast. I'm still exited about it.

mtbr member
    Aug 2013
    I got the last one they had left but its going to take forever to get here! post your feelings on the bike when you get it i am very interested to hear what you will have to say.

mtbr member
    Mar 2009
    ^^ Will do. I'm pretty exited. Let us know your thoughts when you get yours as well.

It's funny, the one guy who wrote a lengthy review/blog on this bike was coming off a 2009 Rockhopper Pro.. Same as me. I still think it was a great deal and I can't wait. I also bought the 50% off Highland Peak to replace my Scott Aspect as a back up lol. I was looking at new Rockhopper Pro's and Carve's this year, I think I got something as good as a Rockhopper Pro, a decent backup bike with a Deore drivetrain (I bought a Deore FD on Clearance for $10), and $100 worth of extra gear for LESS than I would have got just the Rockhopper pro for. As a majority German American, I'm also exited to be getting a bike frame made there.

mtbr member
    Aug 2013
    crazy! i too bought the highland peak! i will indeed post my thoughts on the bike when it arrives.

mtbr member
    Aug 2013
    Oh btw the highland peak just dropped in price to 299... perhaps you could call and get them to refund you the $70 but probably not.

mtbr member
    Mar 2009
    Quote Originally Posted by Monkeypickass View Post
    Oh btw the highland peak just dropped in price to 299... perhaps you could call and get them to refund you the $70 but probably not.
    I sent them an e-mail, and will call them soon about it. I would probably be happy with a $70 off $100 purchase or something.. I think that would be fair. By their own policy, I could return the bike, but I don't want to do that tbh. If they are smart, they will take care of me, I like spending money at their site so far.

mtbr member
    Mar 2009
    Aaaand I got home at 3:55 and just missed their Saturday hours. Monday I guess.

mtbr member
    Aug 2013
    Yeah hopefully they will be cool about it. I think if you take the approach of looking for a discount on a future purchase instead of a refund you would likely have better luck. On a positive note it turns out my bike will be here thursday and my wifes friday so thats pretty damn sweet! grabbed some Wellgo Mg 1's for her and i got some white tubro bf-180's. Pretty stoked i must say.

mtbr member
    Mar 2009
    I'm happy as well. Not trying to be negative, I was happy with the price I bought it at, but most stores offer price adjustments. I actually got the pedals they had advertised right on the page. Looked decent, not too expensive, and I miss having straps tbh. I'm supposed to get mine on Thursday as well, or maybe weds, I'll have to check. But I have a couple weeks to enjoy the bike with minimal work when I get it, so I plan on doing some actual riding with it.

mtbr member
    Mar 2009
    And one more thing MPA, I was thinking about upgrading the shifter of the HP.. but it's a 3x8 and decent shifters which are compatible are hard to find.. Would most Shimano shifters be able to work? I'm pretty sure not correctly.. But do you have any recommendations?

mtbr member
    Aug 2013
    Well i cant give you a good answer here but i can say that if you replace the shifters you will have to replace the levers too because they are all one unit. If it were me i would stick with just upgrading the front dr and enjoy the bike for what it is. Put your money towards the black forest as that will be money better spent.

mtbr member
    Mar 2009
    I guess because the order was within 48 hours, they did the price adjustment. Great customer service!! Really impressed. And good advice on the HP. I did not notice that the shifters and levers were integrated. I always have a thing for trying to make bikes with V-brakes decent bikes.. Because for quite a few years I have secretly wanted somebody to make a decent bike with v-brakes. The Sun rims/spokes/hubs that came with my V-brake 04 Kona blast are by far the best wheels I have ever had. Not a broken spoke in 9 years of hard riding. Not.... one. I have a wheel from that Blast on my 09' RH Pro, because the DT Swiss (and cheaper light spokes) broke spokes every third ride. So I have had a thing for wanting a bike with good rims and v-brakes ever since. Very rare now.

mtbr member
    Aug 2013
    Gonna be here sometime today pretty stoked!

mtbr member
    Aug 2013
    Recieved it and NOTHING about it is set up properly... thanks jenson! Rear brake pulls to bar gears dont even come close to shifting properly. BUT this thing is still pretty sweet. A little larger than i expected. i am 6'3 and i would say i would like it to be a little smaller. oh well.

mtbr member
    Aug 2013
    I will buy it from you for $500 if you want! ;o)

Congrats.

mtbr member
    Aug 2013

mtbr member
    Mar 2009
    The build on mine was decent, a little slack on the derailleur cables, but that's easy. I actually love it. And yes, the large is LARGE. But I really like long top tubes so it's all good. Did you notice the closeness of the shifters to your hand on the grips? That is different. They forgot the pedals I ordered, but I put on another pair to try it out and I like it. Really satisfied with the bike tbh. Gonna be my 29er for a few years.

mtbr member
    Aug 2013
    did yours come with pedals? mine did.

mtbr member
    Mar 2009
    Quote Originally Posted by Monkeypickass View Post
    did yours come with pedals? mine did.
    No. I thought it did not come with pedals? They took care of me on the other thing, so I'm not going to throw a hissy fit. But I thought the bike didn't come with pedals.. Good for you though.

mtbr member
    Aug 2013
    they are pretty lame pedals and as you can see i did not use them but i will toss them on the shelf in the shop just in case i ever need them.

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast