Page 4 of 4 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4
    I should be studying...
    Actually, I have ridden a belt drive, it's quiet, and smooth. There seemed to be an awful lot of tension on the belt. Other than that I really didn't perceive any other differences, granted I never took these on a trail or rode it very hard. I imagine they won't stain your fancy linen pants or while riding--I would get one for a city cruiser.

I think it is a very reasonable assumption that the impetus for belt drive development was to overcome some of the shortcomings of chain drive for certain applications... or are you suggesting it was designed purely as a novelty?

With respect chain tensioning:

I am currently on my second air 9 carbon frame utilizing the Biocentric 2 and thus far I am unimpressed, yes it stays put, unlike my friends Gary fisher with sliders that constantly slip, however it constantly creaks and pops. Unfortunately the ENO is not recommended for most carbon frames. The others I have not had the opportunity to try. I am very interested in the system on the new Ibis 29er.
    Formerly known as iceaxe

mtbr member
    Feb 2008
    I ran belt drive for about year and a half. Worked fine I ran a bashquard with the belt drive so I didn't have a belt problems.

One thing I didn't like is the amount a tension required for the belt drive. I think it affects bearing wear in the rear and in the bottom bracket bearings. Also it would squeak in the right dry dusty conditions. Believe there is a little more resistance then a chain also. Anyway I went back to chain, easier to switch ratios, and cheaper.

meh... whatever
    Quote Originally Posted by quicksilverta View Post
    I ran belt drive for about year and a half. Worked fine I ran a bashquard with the belt drive so I didn't have a belt problems.

One thing I didn't like is the amount a tension required for the belt drive. I think it affects bearing wear in the rear and in the bottom bracket bearings. Also it would squeak in the right dry dusty conditions. Believe there is a little more resistance then a chain also. Anyway I went back to chain, easier to switch ratios, and cheaper.
    the original CDC system required a lot of tension to operate properly, and was detrimental to both bb and hub bearings. the current CDX system requires MUCH less tension, and is superior to the original CDC in many other ways as well - including being as efficient as a chain (which the CDC system was not).
    "Knowledge is good." ~ Emil Faber

mtbr member
    Feb 2008
    Yep I have the new CDX system. I disagree, I used the iphone app to set the tension to gates recommended tension. Set it around 75 Hz. Checked with a iphone5 and a iphone4s.

meh... whatever
    that's the problem. setting the belt with the iphone compared to the gate's krikit has routinely resulted in much higher tension, sometimes as much as 40 lbs too much.

mtbr member
    Feb 2008
    Belt Tension on Vimeo

Looks like it works fine....

meh... whatever
    fwiw, i wasn't sharing his experience or commenting on an interweb vid clip, i was sharing my experience using both back to back in nearly a score of instances. in every case using the app resulted in both higher and inconsistent tension vs the krikit. we also tried using a straight frequency analyzer on an android with similar results.

imho everyone running a belt drive should own a krikit just as everyone running a chain drive should own a chain tool.

mtbr member
    Feb 2008
    Thanks for the info, sounds like gates should pull the app and stop telling people to use it.

Rogue Exterminator
    I fail to see how anyone would think an app on a cell phone would have any value in properly setting the belt tension. I would much rather use the German method of gutenuf.
    Just stick it in granny and start grinding.

meh... whatever
    Quote Originally Posted by frank daleview View Post
    Actually, I have ridden a belt drive, it's quiet, and smooth. There seemed to be an awful lot of tension on the belt. Other than that I really didn't perceive any other differences, granted I never took these on a trail or rode it very hard. I imagine they won't stain your fancy linen pants or while riding--I would get one for a city cruiser.

I think it is a very reasonable assumption that the impetus for belt drive development was to overcome some of the shortcomings of chain drive for certain applications... or are you suggesting it was designed purely as a novelty?
    no, i was suggesting that despite being room for improvement in certain applications that the chain is not an intrinsic problem area lagging behind in development that needed to be addressed. i would also suggest there is a difference in refining a final drive system verses it inherently being one of the ""problem" places to attack on current bike design". all other areas of the bike from suspension, ders/shifters, component materials, and even shift cables are constantly being refined - INCLUDING chains. look at the new 10 and 11 speed stuff.

it would also seem, as another poster pointed out, that most of the people railing against it haven't actually ridden it for any length of time either on or off road. your admission being case in point. and i'm not sure which system you used, CDC or CDX, or if it was properly set up but a properly set up CDX system doesn't require excessive tension.

i will wholeheartedly agree with you that one application where a belt drive really shines is in urban commuter scenarios - particularly when riding in mucky weather. but since my fancy linen pants are black it really doesn't matter if they happen to get a little grease on them or not.

Quote Originally Posted by daleview
    With respect chain tensioning:

I am currently on my second air 9 carbon frame utilizing the Biocentric 2 and thus far I am unimpressed, yes it stays put, unlike my friends Gary fisher with sliders that constantly slip, however it constantly creaks and pops. Unfortunately the ENO is not recommended for most carbon frames. The others I have not had the opportunity to try. I am very interested in the system on the new Ibis 29er.
    i was just sharing tension methods that i have personally found to be both solid and squeak free. ENO eccentric can be used on a carbon frame provided it doesn't have a carbon dropout. i ran one on a first-gen superfly for a while. and notice i was very specific in which sliders i referenced. despite being of similar design it's odd that some mfg's sliders grip and are quiet while some are not.

the tranny's tensioning system is intriguing indeed, and i'm keeping my eye on it too. would like to get one in my hands to fiddle with.

Page 4 of 4 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4