Do it for Deegan

Jumping a XC style hardtail 29er? YES OR NO?

I have purchased my first full size "adult" bicycle a Cannondale Trail 5 29er and I want to know my limitations! I live in Florida so that's already a huge limitation in itself but there are still obstacles out there that I need to know if I should tackle or steer clear! I know when I bought the bike that is technically in the starting out category but I think I want to upgrade the components as I break/outgrow the original ones. My type of riding consist of road fitness, single track, and downhill offroad fun!! Also there are small to medium size bmx trail style double and tabletop jumps at some of the places I ride and I would like to play around on those if my bike can handle it?

mtbr member
    Once you start jumping that bike, you are essentially voiding the warranty so enjoy but do it at your own risk. The bike wasn't made for it, but isn't to say it won't handle small jumps.
    Geologist by trade...bicycle mechanic (former) by the grace of God!

2012 Specialized Stumpy EVO 29 HT

mtbr member
    Jan 2012
    If your riding shows up limitaations in the Suntour fork, an upgrade option is available from Suntour.
    If you want to upgrade your Suntour fork
    Look on page 5 for a review.
    A strong light wheelset or at least front wheel would help. Choices may depend on your weight.

mtbr member
    May 2011
    your bike can definitely handle hitting a good sized jump perfectly....but that's not how it'll work out every time, no matter how skilled you are.

The wheels will take a beating and probably not last too long if you start jumping it. Case the rear wheel substantially one time and that might be it. Of course your weight will make a big difference too.

In my experience, 29er wheels benefit from high spoke tension. Cheaper rims may not be able to handle it, but with a lot of stock wheels, you can increase the spoke tension (though tightening drive side spokes without damaging the nipples requires a bit of work) and make the wheel quite a bit stronger.

You won't void any warranty if you don't tell the shop you were jumping the bike. But folding the wheel isn't covered by warranty. If you break the frame(e.g., cracked weld), you'll probably get a replacement, though you will likely be asked to pay for re-assembly if its been more than a handful of months since purchase.

If you're riding hard and you hear unfamiliar noises, get it straightened out. A loose headset will start out as a clunk and if you ride it hard might turn into an ovalized headtube, which will likely not be covered by warranty.

mtbr member
    ^^^Really? Believe me...the shop knows that your folded top tube didn't just happen "just riding along"..hahahahaha. Bad advice. Jump away, but understand the limits of the bike and warrany and don't be the d-bag that argues with the shop over the warranty stuff due to jumping.
    Geologist by trade...bicycle mechanic (former) by the grace of God!

2012 Specialized Stumpy EVO 29 HT

mtbr member
    May 2011
    that is why I gave cracked weld as an example. I've never seen a dirt jumper fold their top tube, but I have no doubt that a sufficiently nasty nose case or bailing and having the front end nail a tree would cause it to happen. I agree that this type of failure would likely not be warrantied. Cracked welds from non catastrophic dirt jumping are the most likely type of frame failure from what I've seen over the years, and this type of failure can't be easily distinguished from a bad weld or tube that succumbed to fatigue far too early.

mtbr member
    Sep 2011
    Ride that bike like you stole it. You'll want to upgrade to something else before you break it. Not that there's anything wrong with the bike, but its not worth swapping parts out on. Wear it out, get better at riding in the process, and reward yourself with a dream bike.

TXTony
    ^This

mtbr member
    Sep 2011
    You should actually challenge yourself to break the frame by jumping it too big. You will be a true Jedi if you do.

1/2 fast or 1/2 assed?
    Id suggest finding a dirt jumper. Better safe than sorry. If the Cdale is your only bike then youll be w/o it for a while under repair and will the new wheelset cost as much as a used DJer? I got a few more pounds to lose before I can justify (married) a DJer.
    I'm a ******bag in real life so I dont have to be one on the interwebz.

Cheesiest
    Get a Yelli Screamy or Nimble 9!
    "Paved roads...just another example of needless government spending"—paraphrased from rhino_adv

mtbr member
    Jan 2009
    Can you afford new wheels, headset reducer (to 1 1/8 or tapered) and new fork. If no please don't.

Save and wait tell you have enough for bike that is worth upgrading and can handle what your trying to give it. Or as said before buy a dirt jump bike.

Do it for Deegan
    Quote Originally Posted by hillharman View Post
    Ride that bike like you stole it. You'll want to upgrade to something else before you break it. Not that there's anything wrong with the bike, but its not worth swapping parts out on. Wear it out, get better at riding in the process, and reward yourself with a dream bike.
    Great idea! I think i might want a softtail or a full suspention after i put a couple hundred hours on my cdale anyway.

mtbr member

Unless you are really big, land it stupidly all the time (in rocks, sideways and so on) or do silly big drops you should be ok. A soft riding style is key to a long life for both your bike and yourself. May the force be with you.

simenf - brainwashed by the big wheel mafia.

mtbr member
    Sep 2011
    Quote Originally Posted by stonemxfan369 View Post
    Great idea! I think i might want a softtail or a full suspention after i put a couple hundred hours on my cdale anyway.
    You almost definitely will.

mtbr member

Yes!.....I jump my two 29er hardtails a lot...No problems other than having to true the wheels about one or two times a year...Like someone said earlier, "ride it like you stole it" ....Not to change the subject, but neither one of the 29ers get as much "air time" as my 26" Trance X2
    Last edited by borbntm; 03-24-2013 at 02:39 PM.

mtbr member
    Jan 2012
    YES

All MTB should be able to handles the occasional air out. If you plan on going to the dirt jumps I wouldnt recommend trashing your regular XC hardtail.

mtbr member
    Mar 2013
    Quote Originally Posted by stonemxfan369 View Post
    I live in Florida..
    What part of Florida are you in? exactly which trail are you talking about?

mtbr member
    May 2005
    Geez, what a bunch of buzz killers around here. Yes, you can jump ANY bike as long as you don't land it too hard. It's that simple. I've taken my Niner SIR9 to Northstar and gotten massive air on it. What I didn't do was overshoot the tabletop jumps and land flat from 8 feet off the ground. That would hurt me just as much as the bike.

And anyway, that's part of the fun - learning what you can and can't do on a bike. So just start small and work your way up.

Do it for Deegan
    Quote Originally Posted by SandSpur View Post
    What part of Florida are you in? exactly which trail are you talking about?
    I live in northwest florida. The trails im talking about is Tom Brown park in tallahasse and the UWF trails in pensacola