Results 1 to 8 of 8
  1. #1
    I ride bicycles sometimes
    Reputation: Fuze911's Avatar
    Join Date
    Aug 2009
    Posts
    209

    Jump Stop on RM Altitude 29 frame?

    Hey guys, just built up a RM Altitude 29er and ran into a small issue. I'm going to run this frame 1x9 but since the bottom of the seat tube is hydro-formed into a funky shape, i cant transfer my JumpStop.

    You can see the weird shape in this picture...kinda...Its half oval and half square. The square part faces the rear tire.



    I know that with out the the jumpstop, my chain jumped off time from time on my hardtail. Maybe the FS will stop it to an extent?

    Any advice?

  2. #2
    mtbr member
    Reputation:
    Join Date
    Jan 2004
    Posts
    51
    That's a direct mounting tab for a front derailleur. I'm not sure what you consider a "jump stop."

  3. #3
    mtbr member
    Reputation: boomn's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2007
    Posts
    9,647
    Quote Originally Posted by bikeguy100k
    That's a direct mounting tab for a front derailleur. I'm not sure what you consider a "jump stop."
    I don't think he's talking about the Direct Mount tab. Since the frame wasn't designed for a clamp-on FD the cross section of the seat tube is apparently not circular near the bottom so one of these JumpStops won't work

    It's not cheap, but a good solution would be an MRP 1.X Direct Mount (see here)

    Another good (and cheaper) solution would be to run a "sandwich" setup with an inner "bash guard" that mounts to the bolt holes for the granny ring and prevent drops to the inside just like a normal bash guard prevents drops to the outside

  4. #4
    I ride bicycles sometimes
    Reputation: Fuze911's Avatar
    Join Date
    Aug 2009
    Posts
    209
    Quote Originally Posted by boomn
    I don't think he's talking about the Direct Mount tab. Since the frame wasn't designed for a clamp-on FD the cross section of the seat tube is apparently not circular near the bottom so one of these JumpStops won't work

    It's not cheap, but a good solution would be an MRP 1.X Direct Mount (see here)

    Another good (and cheaper) solution would be to run a "sandwich" setup with an inner "bash guard" that mounts to the bolt holes for the granny ring and prevent drops to the inside just like a normal bash guard prevents drops to the outside
    You sir are correct! Im not talking about the Direct Mount Tab. So my only realistic option is to spend some cash... Its a shame cause i overlooked this little detail. Are those my only options? I cant seem to find anything on google.

    The pauls wont work because i want to run a bash. And the one below, which looks fantastic is $70!!

  5. #5
    mtbr member
    Reputation: boomn's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2007
    Posts
    9,647
    Do you have a bash already? In that case all you need is an inner granny-mount "bash" from BBG for $18 delivered . Go to this page and scroll down to the 64 BCD. It's not guaranteed to fit every frame because its like mounting a huge granny chainring, but most FS frames seem to have a bit more clearance for that sort of thing.

  6. #6
    I ride bicycles sometimes
    Reputation: Fuze911's Avatar
    Join Date
    Aug 2009
    Posts
    209
    Quote Originally Posted by boomn
    Do you have a bash already? In that case all you need is an inner granny-mount "bash" from BBG for $18 delivered . Go to this page and scroll down to the 64 BCD. It's not guaranteed to fit every frame because its like mounting a huge granny chainring, but most FS frames seem to have a bit more clearance for that sort of thing.

    Yes, i have bash already. I used to have the Ngear jumpstop that was 8 bucks so 70 scared me. The inner bash looks like a GREAT option!

    Thanks! i will be looking into it.

  7. #7
    I ride bicycles sometimes
    Reputation: Fuze911's Avatar
    Join Date
    Aug 2009
    Posts
    209
    ORDERED!!!



    Thanks for the help!!

  8. #8
    mtbr member
    Reputation:
    Join Date
    Sep 2012
    Posts
    1
    Hey Fuze, Did the BBG inner bash fit on your altitude 29? how'd it work out?

    I know I stumbled upon an old thread, but I am also on an altitude 29 and trying to make the same conversion, so would appreciate any feedback. Thanks!

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •