VeloDad3
    Oct 2005

Jones XR's in Mud

Has anyone ridden the Bontrager Jones XR's in muddy conditions. First race of the year is coming up and looks like it's going to be a mudfest.

I've seen several posts about the Kenda Klaw's being decent in the mud, just wondering if anyone's ridden/raced XR's in muddy conditions.

Thanks much

Nat
    Solo contendre
    Quote Originally Posted by butchc
    Has anyone ridden the Bontrager Jones XR's in muddy conditions. First race of the year is coming up and looks like it's going to be a mudfest.

I've seen several posts about the Kenda Klaw's being decent in the mud, just wondering if anyone's ridden/raced XR's in muddy conditions.

Thanks much
    I have and they were very slippery in (our) mud.

Work Shed...
    The trail I ride drains extremely quickly, so mud is only around for very short stretches. The xr's are pretty terrible when it comes to georgia clay and mud. There is a particular creek crossing with a steep mud bank on the other side in the winter, but its only maybe 3 feet of mud. I have yet to make it up without unclipping or falling because as soon as the front wheel hits it, I lose control of the bike... long story short, no xr's for lots of mud...
    It's not hip hop, it's electro.....

mtbr member
    I`ve been using them in our local cross races and every one have been extremly muddy. The mud here in Ohio has a high clay content and tends to be slick and sticky. They fair pretty well as long as you not trying to go straight, though on the lower part of the course the mud is very wet and soupy and they do really good. Having that said it pretty much depends on what your mud is like.
    Happy trails.
    Just do it, Faster, Better, Lighter.
    bikekitchen.blogspot.com
    Single Minded

Harmonius Wrench

No good in the mud

They slip and slide around way too much. Essentially, they like to float up on top of our mud, skittering around with zero traction, because they won't cut down through to solid ground. Also the low knob heigth is going to be a big problem on climbs.

Either go with Klaws or a narrower tire like a Schwalbe or Continental for mud and your 29"er.
    Last edited by Guitar Ted; 02-25-2006 at 09:14 AM. Reason: spelling error
    Riden' an Smilin'
    Guitar Ted

Blog
    RidingGravel.com

Work Shed...
    yep, even on dry climbs my back tire has a tough time hooking up in dirt, even with my arse firmly planted on the saddle it will slip. For some reason though, they work really well on the steep, pine needle covered climbs we have around here. My last tires (spec'd something or other 26er) would slip and slide on needles like it was on solid ice...

change is good
    Sep 2004
    Ditto. They suck in clay mud. I still run the front in the winter because I really really like the volume. Ignitors fared better, Klaws the best. I can't tell a huge difference in speed between the rear XR and the Klaw. Then again, I'm not your lean mean racer type.

Work Shed...
    I was thinking about switching to a klaw in the rear, are they wider than the xr's?? how do they fare in dry 'in the woods' conditions?

mtbr member
    Feb 2004
    I"m running the Klaw in the rear and its a tick smaller then the Bonti XR I have up front.
    The Klaw is a good name for this tire as it has the best "bite" of all the tires of tried in the rear. I thought the Bonti hooked up pretty good too but it does pack up with mud a lot worse then the Klaw. I think I'll keep the klaw on until things dry out a bit around here and then switch to something a little faster becasue it isn't a fast roller.

mtbr member
    Jun 2004
    My first impression on dry hardpack and tacky damp was that this is going to be a great tire. Then I hit a wet patch, not muddy but almost, and lost traction completely. Absolutely nothing. The tread packed in full, I was riding mud on mud. So I've got Ignitors for now and I'll use the XRs this summer.

VeloDad3
    Oct 2005

The Klaw It Is!

Sounds like the Klaw is the best bet, the mud here in Texas is pretty nasty stuff. Thanks much for all the info, very much appreciated.

change is good
    Sep 2004

I like the Ignitors

Quote Originally Posted by Rootberry
    I was thinking about switching to a klaw in the rear, are they wider than the xr's?? how do they fare in dry 'in the woods' conditions?
    Fast. Grips well. I would be running one now but it kept blowing off my rear TK 7.1 Packs up more than the Klaw, but I'm not running my FS in very muddy conditions any more.

( )
    Nov 2004
    Quote Originally Posted by abscar
    Fast. Grips well. I would be running one now but it kept blowing off my rear TK 7.1.

Could you elaborate on that? I orderd an ignitor for my rear TK 7.1 recently. I know some tires fit loosely on these rims but I didn't think it was a big problem.

change is good
    Sep 2004

Blew off twice

Quote Originally Posted by steevo
    Could you elaborate on that? I orderd an ignitor for my rear TK 7.1 recently. I know some tires fit loosely on these rims but I didn't think it was a big problem.
    It was seated properly. I was going fast downhill over some rock ledges and it blew off with a bang. It also blew off when trying to pump it up again, but it did finally seat. Next ride it blew off again but I shouldn't have reused it but I like the performance of the Ignitor that much. Padre's wife had similar problems with the Ignitor on the DT rims.
    Ignitor blow offs with DT TK 7.1 rims
    FYI Ignitor scare....

Tig
    I ride, therefore I am.
    Quote Originally Posted by butchc
    Sounds like the Klaw is the best bet, the mud here in Texas is pretty nasty stuff. Thanks much for all the info, very much appreciated.
    I've raced the Klaws (both front and rear) in the TMBRA Fall series as well as Tapatio, and they hooked up really well. A dry Tapatio doesn't need that much "knobbiness", but I didn't have the Ignitors back then. I doubt you will find better traction in loose or mud conditions than the Klaws.

I'll switch to Ignitors for better speed without sacrificing much traction for packed and rocky courses like Double Lake, Waco, Comfort, etc. If next week's Warda race is muddy, I'll stick to the Klaws. I'm 140 pounds and run the Klaws at 36 psi rear, 33 front on a hard tail Rig.

The Jones XR's aren't good for pretty much any condition or surface! I don't miss them.

The early bird gets the worm,
    but the second mouse gets the cheese.