M_S
    mtbr member
    Nov 2007

Jones XR 29 2.25

Thinking about one for the front, probably in TLR, unless people think the non-TLR set up tubeless well (heard they don't). I ride mostly loose over hard trails, some rocky stuff, and plenty of relatively smooth singletrack. But most trails that I ride regularly have a thin layer of loose dry soil and rock. I would probably try this in front with a Nanoraptor or Saguaro in the back.

So yeah, does anybody like them in those sorts of conditions? And is there any meaningful difference between a 2.2 and 2.25?

I tried to do a search, yes, but didn't get much, especially for this size.

And because there are only so many things to talk about, what other tires do you like for these sorts of conditions?

Thanks.

mtbr member
    Jan 2009
    I just switched from the Jones XR to the 29-3 "front" version. Both tubeless. I just felt that the Jones slipped too much over loose stuff. The 29-3 feels like a solid improvement; the Jones kept slipping in the corners without much of a warning. I just ordered another 29-3 to put on the rear and we'll see how that goes. I really like the ease to set up with floor pump, hold air well and have good sidewalls thus far.

Living the thug life.
    They are front and rear specific. The front is the 2.25 I believe. I really like this tire, but I have heard some others not as thrilled.

I have always done non tubeless version converted tubeless on bontrager rims with no problem.
    I proudly ride for these guys.

My blog.

M_S
    mtbr member
    Nov 2007
    The price is also attractive on the XR, but loose over hard is sort of my priority. Fast rolling would be good too I guess. Might consider the front 29-3, and there's the 29-4 as well. Oh, and non Bonty stuff. Decisions...

How would these compare to a rampage, if anyone has used them both?