mtbr member
    Feb 2004

jones diamond w/ truss fork as SS. weight?

i'm really intrigued by the Jones diamond frame with truss fork and would like to run it ss but the weight seems a bit on the hefty side. has anyone here set one of these up ss and hung it from the scales?

mtbr member
    Check the Tai Jones thread on this page, if you haven't. There may be a post or two about weight. You aren't going to get this bike too far under 25lbs even with the most expensive of parts. My guess is a single speed as typically speced by Jeff with Thompson post/stem, his handlebars, wide rims, and XT cranks is coming in around the 26-27lbs mark. Now if you carbon out the post/stem, the brakes, use light handlebars, get a carbon wheelset with superlight tires, you could get down below 25lbs, but that's kind of missing the point of this bike, I think. Weight would be the least of my concerns when deciding whether to buy this bike. For a durable, bombproof steel frame, 5lbs is not that bad. The truss fork is lighter than a number of rigid unicrown forks on the market, and it's an awesomely stiff fork. Look around. There aren't many steel bikes made with the same tubing coming in much lighter.
    You're so cute internet tough guy. Noogie...Noogie...Noogie.

hispanic mechanic
    Agreed. Most of the ss setups on that thread are north of 26 lbs.
    The frame set is, in my opinion, not unreasonably heavy, it's more the way these bikes were meant to be set up- 135mm front hubs are heavier that 100mm, Loop- or H-Bars are fairly heavy, wider rims and tires are obviously heavier. The emphasis tends more towards ride quality than light weight. I'm still considering one for 100 mile racing, though.

Los
    "Shut up body and do what I tell you."
    Jens Voight

http://teamjva.com/jens-voigt-soundboard/

mtbr member
    Apr 2011
    Frame/fork is not weight-weenie friendly. Forget low 20's. Just try to keep it under 30. I'm about there with an addition of a Knard up front (27 TPI). Mine is a unicrown fork, though.

The heft does seem to have advantages. Compared to my last rigid bike, which weighed 22 lbs, the Jones has much better feel through the rough stuff. Frame is stiff where it needs to be and navigating through the rock garden is much more confidence inspiring.

Lastly, the extra heft hasn't affected my times, really. The only part of my bike that I'm questioning is the Loop bar. Climbing the steep stuff, it kind of puts my hand at an awkward position. At the ends, it's too far back. At the brake levers, not enough leverage. I may switch to a traditional ~700mm bar.

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by phsycle View Post
    The only part of my bike that I'm questioning is the Loop bar. Climbing the steep stuff, it kind of puts my hand at an awkward position. At the ends, it's too far back. At the brake levers, not enough leverage. I may switch to a traditional ~700mm bar.
    Me too. I like the Loop bar for a number of reasons, but I agree with you on the climbing steeps, and I kind of miss some of the stability of super wide bars in twisty, techy turning. With the stability of a fat wheel, the Loops didn't bother me as much, but I switched to the Rabbit Hole and the steering is quite a bit faster. I may go hit my local trails with both the loop and my extra wide Salsa Whammys and trade off between bars for back-to-back comparison. I guess either way you have to make trade-offs, and it just depends on which trade you prefer to make.
    You're so cute internet tough guy. Noogie...Noogie...Noogie.

agu
    mtbr member
    Mine's between 25-27lbs, depending on tire choice. Unicrown fork though.

As the others have said, I think the bike isn't designed to be a "lightweight" platform - though there's nothing stopping you from doing so. It will just ride different with narrower rims, lighter tires, and über parts. It might lose some of its stability and composure (note that I didn't say comfort) in the rough stuff.

I've also compared lap times to my previous rigid SS and the Jones is close, if not faster.

Heavier or lighter, faster or slower - to me it doesn't matter as long as the bike gives me a silly grin on my face while riding. :-)

mtbr member
    Feb 2004
    Thanks for the feedback. I'm not looking to go silly light with the parts and I'm not a big fan of carbon. I appreciate a light bike but i choose longevity and performance over weight, within reason. I was just curious if the answers were going to be more like 30-30+lbs, 25-30lbs or maybe some sub-25's. sounds to me like 25-30lbs is the most likely.

Thanks again.

hispanic mechanic
    Quote Originally Posted by Slow Danger View Post
    Me too. I like the Loop bar for a number of reasons, but I agree with you on the climbing steeps, and I kind of miss some of the stability of super wide bars in twisty, techy turning. With the stability of a fat wheel, the Loops didn't bother me as much, but I switched to the Rabbit Hole and the steering is quite a bit faster. I may go hit my local trails with both the loop and my extra wide Salsa Whammys and trade off between bars for back-to-back comparison. I guess either way you have to make trade-offs, and it just depends on which trade you prefer to make.
    I rode an original curved extension Ti H-bar for several years, but found that I prefer the standing climbing position of a flat, moderate-sweep bar better. If I rode a multispeed bike I might feel differently, but in high-torque situations I had similar experiences as phsycle.
    The more I think about this, the more I lean towards a Jones diamond frame with a unicrown fork. I think I want to try this geometry out- I know I like the geometry of my Nimble9, But I keep wondering about the Jones. When I order my custom Waltworks it'd be nice to eliminate one variable

Los
    "Shut up body and do what I tell you."
    Jens Voight

http://teamjva.com/jens-voigt-soundboard/

mtbr member
    Apr 2011
    Quote Originally Posted by sslos View Post
    ...The more I think about this, the more I lean towards a Jones diamond frame with a unicrown fork. I think I want to try this geometry out- I know I like the geometry of my Nimble9, But I keep wondering about the Jones. When I order my custom Waltworks it'd be nice to eliminate one variable

Los
    That's funny. I'm looking to do the same. Walt is about 10 min from my house, but before I started a build with him, I wanted to try out the Jones geo to see if it was something I wanted and if there was anything I would like to change.

If you're ever down by SLC Utah, you're welcome to take my Jones for a ride.