Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast
    mtbr member
    Nov 2008

Jet9 RDO or Anthem X - Need opinions :)

Hey guys, it's about that time again where the only thing on my mind is adding a full squish 29er to my stable. I've searched the Internet high and dry, checked out the local shops, and narrowed it down to 2 choices. I think it's time to hear what my fellow XC guys have to say. Any opinions would be great, even if you wanna tell me selections are garbage feel free to speak your mind or add another bike you think fits the bill. My current go-to bike is a giant Xtc 29er, almost top shelf build...XT groupo..23.5 lbs. I love the bike but it really beats me up and think a full suspension would compliment the hardtail very well.

Thoughts...

Jet9 RDO - I've been drooling over this frame for a long time. If I'm gonna spend 2 grand on just a frame...I really wanna see what the niner bikes are all about. This bike feels like more of a trail bike, on a XC chassis..which i liked... It's fast, comfortable, and gorgeous. Downsides: price, won't be as easy as swapping all parts from my Xtc, internal cable routing can be a headache.. To anyone who owns one... Do you have any regrets? Would you buy it again? On paper this is my dream bike, but will have to make some sacrifices to afford it. The local niner dealer is top notch in customer service and knowledge.

Anthem X Aluminum - I've always loved giants maestro and their geometry. I demoed an anthem advanced and loved the bike. I'd like to opt for the advanced carbon, but for that price..i can't justify choosing it over the jet9rdo. I know i will love the geometry but Ive always owned giants and would like to try another companies bike this time around. I know change can be a good or bad thing. Again, I have a relationship with this local shop and they have great customer service.

If it was your money... Would you stick with the tried and proven rig with the lower price tag... Or would you take the risk and invest the time, money, and energy for a bike that could potentially be perfect..or possibly be sold/traded if its not what you expected. My gut says give the niner a try... But I know 100% the anthem will serve me well. Just looking for honest opinions if it's better go to with the sure thing...or try the "latest and greatest". I want to get it right the first time and have no regrets. I think the niner would end up costing about 1.5-2 grand more when considering price difference and non compatible parts to swap over.

Thanks guys.

mtbr member
    Nov 2008
    I also wanted to add that I plan on racing XC in the near future.... So anything with more then 100mm of travel will be too much bike for me. Which is why I have these 2 bikes on my short list. My trails consist of A LOT of climbing...and will gladly sacrifice the descends to improve the climb. The jet9rdo supposedly rides nice with 120mm front, which can add to its versatility when not competing.

mtbr member
    Nov 2007
    In case you didn't know. A few places are clearing out the V1 Jet9 RDOs for a little less than $1600 shipped. Might make your decision a little bit easier.

mtbr member
    Nov 2008
    Yea that's exactly why I'm ready to pull the trigger if I feel the jet9 carbon is the right bike. I could still get a anthem frame for about 500 cheaper..plus I won't have to worry about buying and press fitting the headset and bottom bracket, along with a smaller seatpost, and having a shop do all the cable fittings. I'm sure I could do it myself but might be too much headache.

The deals seem too good to be true on the niner stuff. I wonder why they run those promos? New model coming out?

Carbon & Ti rule
    I would go with the Jet9 RDO,

I brought a Jet9 RDO a year ago & It is an awesome bike, Fast smooth,Awesome climber etc.

Would I buy it again ??

Yes I just brought a New Green one, So at the moment I own a Tang 2012 with XX & A Green 2013 with XX1

Don't under underestermate just how good these bikes are.

Hands down this is fastest bike I have ever owned & it's fun. I have owned Giant Reigns,Trances,Trance X, Anthems, Epic, stumpjumper, Tallboy carbon, Jet9 Alloy, Rip9 Alloy.

My friend owns a Bike shop that sells Giant & he rides a Anthem X 29 & Trance X 29 & he has told me if he didn't own the shop he would be ridding the Niner.

I'm sure you will love the Jet9 RDO for what you want.

I don't own a bike shop so can ride what ever I want & after Riding the Jet9 RDO for a year ( I normally only keep a bike for a year ) I brought another 1 in a colour I like a little more.

My wife Jet9 RDO is the white one & the black 1 is my friends.
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Jet9 RDO or Anthem X - Need opinions :)-trip-033.jpg  

Jet9 RDO or Anthem X - Need opinions :)-green-rdo-reynolds-015.jpg  

Jet9 RDO or Anthem X - Need opinions :)-img_4963a-640x427-.jpg  

Jet9 RDO or Anthem X - Need opinions :)-waynes-rdo-013.jpg  

Last edited by muzzanic; 12-20-2012 at 01:21 PM.

mtbr member
    Feb 2008
    Get the one you fall in love with, otherwise, you will have remorses. Both good options. I have a Jet 9 RDO which I really like.

mtbr member
    Sep 2008
    I have an anthem and love it. Niner is sexier. Not sure why, maybe the gross paint jobs but anthems don't get as much love it seems. Both are great bikes. If you like the way they both ride and fit, go with the cheaper one I guess.
    Small ring in front makes it easier. Small ring in back makes it harder. That blows my mind.

mtbr member
    Mar 2012
    I have an Anthem and I love it. Fast, smooth and all that. I had an opportunity to demo my bike before I bought it though. Will your Niner shop let you rent or demo one for a weekend?

mtbr member
    Oct 2009
    The Jet 9 RDO's are on sale and the price is unbeatable.

Price aside, having demoed both I would go the the Niner - while the maestro sus worked well, the cva sus seemed more active with similar pedal efficiency and more stability at speed through the rough stuff. The Niner is flat out fun to ride and the more versatile of the two. Race only would be a toss up.

Consider what you can get the Niner frame for now and it should be hard to pass up. Best deal I have seen all year.

mtbr member
    Oct 2008
    I have a Jet9 RDO. I will be racing Cat2 on it starting in January. I've done one race on it so far and finished 13 overall out of 200. The course was just ruff enough where the RDO crosses over into trail bike that it made climbing and decending easier. I had a guy on an Epic test ride my bike as soon as we finished. He was behind me through a lot of ruff stuff and saw first hand how planted the RDO's suspension was.

I built mine up with a mix of XT and X-9 and a Fox 120mm fork. Some swapped over from my last bike and some new. The build process was easy. Mine is 25lbs even with Stan's Crest and heavy tires. I'm going to by swapping to XX1 though one piece at a time. I love the 1x10 I have now but shaving weigh and more gears would be nice.

I had put a deposit down on a 2013 SuperFly 100 Elite. I got my money back when the delivery date kept getting pushed back and built the RDO. I'm glad I did every time I ride it. It's not just a short travel XC race bike. It is a FUN bike.

mtbr member
    Mar 2012
    rdo is on my bike dream list too. if u have a chance of getting one go for it i reckon. doubt it will be a possiblity for me. Dont know what pricing is like where you are, but here in australia i can get a full carbon anthem x1 for basically the price an rdo frame (4000$).

ridden the anthem. its good but i just wasnt a huge fan of the long chainstays. The steering did the job but was dull. May suit some people. I might be interested if they redesign the thing and shorten the stays like they have done on the trance 29.

mtbr member
    Jan 2012
    Quote Originally Posted by pwu_1 View Post
    In case you didn't know. A few places are clearing out the V1 Jet9 RDOs for a little less than $1600 shipped. Might make your decision a little bit easier.
    Where are "these places"??? Do tell...

mtbr member
    Dec 2009
    I was in the same predicament and decided to go with the RDO 2012. Sure I'd be happy with the Anthem Advanced X and save some cash whilst at it but I thought to myself that I should get a bike that I wouldn't get bike lust next year. Hence the decision to go with the RDO.

Plus Giants are really popular in Australia, especially where I am so I spent the extra to create a bike I wanted (and lusted over) and also to be different. The only other bike I had envy for are the SWorks but I'm not keen on the proprietary suspension components after having owned an Epic.

mtbr member
    Apr 2012
    Like you, I currently ride an XTC 29er and am shopping for a FS to add to the stable. Just today I rode an Anthem and a Trance (both 29ers) along with a few others. While the Anthem is a great bike and rode really nicely I'm gonna buy a Trance. The Anthem felt very similar to my XTC (which I'll be keeping), while the Trance was noticeably kushier over the rough stuff yet still quite agile and a solid climber.

I'll keep the XTC for XC type rides, but the Trance will be a great compliment for tougher trails or when my back needs a rest.

If you want something that feels like your XTC then the Anthem will fit the bill to a T.

mtbr member
    Dec 2009
    I had an RDO and while it did ride very nice they internal cable routing and press fit bottom bracket gave me enough problems I wouldn't buy it again. Another guy I ride with has his cable routing sorted out on his RDO but still has to change cables every couple months, not ideal for something you plan on racing. The RDO isn't going to save you much weight over the Anthem and I think the Anthem would be a more reliable bike for racing. I haven't ridden the Anthem so I can't weigh in on the suspension performance but I can't imagine it it's that much of a difference, which I will say the RDO suspension was very good and that was hard to give up.

Carbon & Ti rule
    Quote Originally Posted by mtb_dood View Post
    I had an RDO and while it did ride very nice they internal cable routing and press fit bottom bracket gave me enough problems I wouldn't buy it again. Another guy I ride with has his cable routing sorted out on his RDO but still has to change cables every couple months, not ideal for something you plan on racing. The RDO isn't going to save you much weight over the Anthem and I think the Anthem would be a more reliable bike for racing. I haven't ridden the Anthem so I can't weigh in on the suspension performance but I can't imagine it it's that much of a difference, which I will say the RDO suspension was very good and that was hard to give up.
    Hi
    It is a shame you didn't know how to sort out your cables & bottom bracket on your bike.

Such a nice bike to let go.

I have 2 RDO's now & can't say I have had any problems with mine or any of the others I have helped others build up.

mtbr member
    Nov 2008
    Quote Originally Posted by muzzanic View Post
    I would go with the Jet9 RDO,

Would I buy it again ??

Yes I just brought a New Green one, So at the moment I own a Tang 2012 with XX & A Green 2013 with XX1

Don't under underestermate just how good these bikes are.

Hey, appreciate the response. Well said. Along with everyone else's posts...thumbs up. You guys have given me some great insight. I've had the exact same thoughts in my mind, but it's nice to hear it from other riders for peace of mind.

The anthem was on my top strictly because it feels almost identical to the Xtc, and I love the bike. But with niners pricing right now I'd be a fool not to take advantage.

Regarding the member with the 120mm fork (sorry I can't go by your name, it won't show me the previous post when replying)...that's great to know. Thanks for sharing. I contemplated running a 120 up front but thought it might take away a little race worthiness only to gain some playfulness on trail riding. Looks like you can run the longer travel without losing a whole lot.

Thanks again everyone. I think the jet9 rdo is the way to go. I demoed one for about 30 minutes, but that's not enough time to get a good feel for the bike. Don't get me wrong, it was love at first pedal (anthem was the same) but I'm the type of guy that needs a good 50-100 miles before I can give an honest review. I'm gonna go talk to my niner deal about putting down a deposit to get the frame on order. Still waiting to sell my older trance x to have all the money...hopefully that will be gone tomorrow

mtbr member
    Oct 2008
    Quote Originally Posted by drz400sm View Post
    Regarding the member with the 120mm fork (sorry I can't go by your name, it won't show me the previous post when replying)...that's great to know. Thanks for sharing. I contemplated running a 120 up front but thought it might take away a little race worthiness only to gain some playfulness on trail riding. Looks like you can run the longer travel without losing a
    The 120 fork is the only way to build the Jet9 RDO. I took mine out again last night. My normal mid week training area is 5 miles from my house. Then there is a series of trails around a small park. I did 2000' of climbing in 10 miles once on the dirt. It has been raining here in Arizona wich makes for good dirt but moves all the loose rocks around. The Jet9 RDO just produces traction. A lot of the climbs I did were very loose. And as long as you can turn the cranks you can climb.

I was on a Fisher SuperFly HT last year and thought it turned quick compared to other 29ers I had ridden but the Jet9 RDO doesn't give up anything in the turning department with the 120 fork. I would be scared at speed of how twitchy it might be with a 100 mm fork.

Your Best Friend
    These two are the best FS 29ers made IMO. Can't go wrong with your choice. Maybe see if you could find a similar deal on an Anthem Advanced frame? Don't know if there are any out there but then at least you'd be comparing apples to apples.

mtbr member
    Jan 2012
    Quote Originally Posted by pwu_1 View Post
    OP, this guy is not kidding! I found a site selling em at $1584! Killer deal. May not have carbon linkage, or 12x142 but man what a deal! For that price I'm not sure its worth passing up. Plus this site is offering free shipping.

mtbr member
    Oct 2008
    Quote Originally Posted by Rev. 14 View Post
    OP, this guy is not kidding! I found a site selling em at $1584! Killer deal. May not have carbon linkage, or 12x142 but man what a deal! For that price I'm not sure its worth passing up. Plus this site is offering free shipping.
    I was able to get my frame thru my local Niner dealer for slightly more then the current online deals a few months ago. You might want to check with your local Niner dealer instead of ordering on line.

I knew the 2013 was changed to the 12x142 and carbon rockers. I was building up a race/trail bike with Stan's Crest wheels so I already knew I wasnt going to have the stiffest set up around. If you were building an all mountain/enduro/ trail bike the 12x142 might be worth the extra money if you were going to pair it with carbon wheels or Stan's Flows.

mtbr member
    Sep 2006
    Quote Originally Posted by Rev. 14 View Post
    Outside Outfitters was $1562.38 shipped. Ordered one yesterday. Didn't want 12x142.

Already have an Anthem and a Jet9 alloy that I like. Really had no intentions of buying one, but oh well. I almost always buy used, but something in the back of my mind told me that I wanted a warranty with this frame.

mtbr member
    Sep 2006
    Quote Originally Posted by azpoolguy View Post
    If you were building an all mountain/enduro/ trail bike the 12x142 might be worth the extra money if you were going to pair it with carbon wheels or Stan's Flows.
    Not if you believed Niner when they said it provided no real benefit.

Then again, that was before they switched the frame to 142, so I'm sure their spin has changed a little now. Another year and another way to convince us to buy something new.

mtbr member
    Nov 2008
    Quote Originally Posted by azpoolguy View Post
    I was able to get my frame thru my local Niner dealer for slightly more then the current online deals a few months ago. You might want to check with your local Niner dealer instead of ordering on line.

I knew the 2013 was changed to the 12x142 and carbon rockers. I was building up a race/trail bike with Stan's Crest wheels so I already knew I wasnt going to have the stiffest set up around. If you were building an all mountain/enduro/ trail bike the 12x142 might be worth the extra money if you were going to pair it with carbon wheels or Stan's Flows.
    Ive been on the phone with my local shops..unfortunately I only have 2 niner dealers around me...and one of them I refuse to give any business to. They have rubbed me wrong a few times and finally gave up on them. The other shop, i just met the guys this week, are one of the best shops ive been too. The guys their dont try and feed you BS, and take the time to get you the exact product needed. They even encouraged me to do my homework and figure out what I want, and offered getting me a demo bike before making the purchase. Any other shop would be trying to make the sale that day, otherwise they disregard you.

They are willing to honor the 1649 price...but then you need to add tax to the deal. Personally..id much rather spend an extra 100 bucks...heck...id much rather spend closer to 150-175 more if I can support a local shop. In the grand scheme of things...if i order from the local dealer I will have access to quicker and a more personable customer service experience. I wanna see these local shops stay in business!

mtbr member
    Nov 2008
    Quote Originally Posted by JeffS View Post
    Outside Outfitters was $1562.38 shipped. Ordered one yesterday. Didn't want 12x142.

Already have an Anthem and a Jet9 alloy that I like. Really had no intentions of buying one, but oh well. I almost always buy used, but something in the back of my mind told me that I wanted a warranty with this frame.
    Thanks for the link to outside outfitters. Im gonna ask if the shop will honor that price...if not...no big deal. I want them to make their money. They seem like the kind of guys that would be upfront and honest about these things. Thats a great price....but i always thought the 2012 model used the rear 12x142....i guess i was wrong about that...but i wouldnt consider it a deal breaker by any means.

Quote Originally Posted by JeffS View Post
    Not if you believed Niner when they said it provided no real benefit.

Then again, that was before they switched the frame to 142, so I'm sure their spin has changed a little now. Another year and another way to convince us to buy something new.
    Im sure the upgrade was mainly to follow the rest of the industry. The jet9rdo was designed for xc racing, and unless your tracks require the stiffest bike possible...it seems like its more for the bling factor. For all mtn riding...i could see more benefits. Definitely gonna look into the differences on that frame...ive only run bikes with 135x9 and never noticed problems with stiffness. The only problems ive come across is when buying used bikes, and the drop outs being out of tolerance. Could be like that from the factory...or could be from guys over torquing the rear axle..and eventually wearing down/crushing the drop outs. Thats at least the impression I got from a hardtail a few years ago. Anyone know if the 2012 model has replaceable drop outs? Im guessing probably not.

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast