mtbr member

Jet rdo vs. Tallboy c vs. Sb-95 al

So I just sold my road bike and HT, and I'm looking for a FS (29 of course) an these 3 are my options, medium build, around $5500 budget, any riders of these 3 bikes? what are your opinions?
    I do most XC racing, looking for a FS because of back injury

mtbr member
    Feb 2009
    XC racing mainly? Jet9 RDO out of those three, without question.

King of Middle Earth
    Not considering an Epic or a Mach 429?
    fee-fy-fo-fum...

mtbr member
    Yeah, not a lot of drops, 98% XC, I might consider something else

mtbr member
    Jan 2012
    Which Tallboy? YOU talking talking Tallboy 2?

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by Rev. 14 View Post
    Which Tallboy? YOU talking talking Tallboy 2?
    This one:

Santa Cruz Bicycles TALLBOY CARBON

with this kit : SPXXC29

Viva la Vida!

Jet rdo vs. Tallboy c vs. Sb-95 al

JET 9 RDO. Superb machine
    We do not stop playing because we grow old;
    We grow old because we stop playing

mtbr member
    Jan 2012
    Quote Originally Posted by el_burras View Post
    This one:

Santa Cruz Bicycles TALLBOY CARBON

with this kit : SPXXC29
    That is the Tallboy 2. It is fairly new at this point. You may find one on the Santa Cruz demo tour. Reviews seem to be high on it. Seems they have made it over a quarter pound lighter and improved suspension for improved pedaling efficiency. It also comes standard with a 120mm front fork. I had the Tallboy 1 carbon, if you want to call it that. Great bike in every way, the only downfall I found was pedaling efficiency could be improved. Seems like SC listened and fixed it. In terms of lightness it is probably the lightest of the three you have listed, but I believe different, not worse just different.

SB95 is more of trail bike I say. More travel, more weight, which makes is more capable for any situation. Not that the Tallboy 2 or Jet 9 RDO can't handle it but these have only 4in of travel and SB95 is a 5in travel bike with a slacker head tube angle at 67.5 I believe? I think the Tallboy 2 has a 70.2 heat tube angle and the Jet 9 RDO is 70.5. This makes the Yeti a downhill beast that can eat up almost any thing in its path. Now if you are talking SB95, Tallboy LTc, and Rip 9 RDO then that is more of a closer comparison. What we have in the Tallboy 2 and Jet 9 RDO is XC and the SB95 is more trail/all mountain, some will probably disagree.

I sold my Tallboy for a Jet 9 RDO; however, the frame is sitting in the box at the moment as I'm now planning to move in the next week so packing is the priority. Do yourself a favor, at $5500 you can get a nice bike, very nice. Look out for SC and Niner and Yeti Demo tours and ride one. You want to be happy on what you get for that price. I have heard that even though the Jet 9 RDO is 4in travel, because of the CVA suspension it feels like alot more and thus qualifies the bike for the trail designation too. I would agree, as I looked at the suspension link and its much longer as the Tallboy uses a shorter suspension link. Tallboy does have shorter chain stays but I'm not convinced it makes a huge difference between it and Jet 9 RDO. The pedaling efficiency in the Jet 9 RDO is superb.

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by Rev. 14 View Post
    That is the Tallboy 2. It is fairly new at this point. You may find one on the Santa Cruz demo tour. Reviews seem to be high on it. Seems they have made it over a quarter pound lighter and improved suspension for improved pedaling efficiency. It also comes standard with a 120mm front fork. I had the Tallboy 1 carbon, if you want to call it that. Great bike in every way, the only downfall I found was pedaling efficiency could be improved. Seems like SC listened and fixed it. In terms of lightness it is probably the lightest of the three you have listed, but I believe different, not worse just different.

SB95 is more of trail bike I say. More travel, more weight, which makes is more capable for any situation. Not that the Tallboy 2 or Jet 9 RDO can't handle it but these have only 4in of travel and SB95 is a 5in travel bike with a slacker head tube angle at 67.5 I believe? I think the Tallboy 2 has a 70.2 heat tube angle and the Jet 9 RDO is 70.5. This makes the Yeti a downhill beast that can eat up almost any thing in its path. Now if you are talking SB95, Tallboy LTc, and Rip 9 RDO then that is more of a closer comparison. What we have in the Tallboy 2 and Jet 9 RDO is XC and the SB95 is more trail/all mountain, some will probably disagree.

I sold my Tallboy for a Jet 9 RDO; however, the frame is sitting in the box at the moment as I'm now planning to move in the next week so packing is the priority. Do yourself a favor, at $5500 you can get a nice bike, very nice. Look out for SC and Niner and Yeti Demo tours and ride one. You want to be happy on what you get for that price. I have heard that even though the Jet 9 RDO is 4in travel, because of the CVA suspension it feels like alot more and thus qualifies the bike for trail designation too. I would agree as I look at the suspension link and it much longer as the Tallboy uses shorter suspension link.

Wow great info!! That's what I was thinking, SB-95 more of a trail bike, heavier, and to be honest I don't I need that much travel. Problem with going into demo events is that I live in a small city, couple of LBS only, and the stick to the more 'commercial stuff' trek's, giant's, specialized, and none of those are my thing.
    Thinking of a way to at least try the Jet and the SC, currently I have another '13 niner and love it. Leaning towards the JET

mtbr member
    Jet.............

Carbon & Ti rule
    I have Owned the Tallboy & Jet9 RDO, Hands down the Jet9 RDO eats the Tallboy IMO.

With a budget of $5500, I would look at maybe building the Jet9 carbon to save some money over the RDO & put some more money into the wheel set.

The 1 thing that most will agree on is put XT brakes on it.

If I was building the bike for you it would have

Jet9 Carbon or the new Alloy Jet9 (same setup with 100mm travel )

The new X01, 1x11 Group set but with XX1 cranks because it will let you run a smaller front ring than the X01 if needed.

XT brakes with Ice Tech rotors.

I9 hubs & light bike carbon rims.

Carbon bars approx. 710mm wide.

Ergon grips.

Easton Haven stem

Revalation 120mm fork.

Dropper seat post & seat of your choice.

Start you off with Racing Ralph tyre on the back & Nobby Nic on the front.

Your choice of pedals.

This bike would be super fast & able to tackle most things you would want to throw at it.

My 2 c

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by muzzanic View Post
    I have Owned the Tallboy & Jet9 RDO, Hands down the Jet9 RDO eats the Tallboy IMO.

With a budget of $5500, I would look at maybe building the Jet9 carbon to save some money over the RDO & put some more money into the wheel set.

The 1 thing that most will agree on is put XT brakes on it.

If I was building the bike for you it would have

Jet9 Carbon or the new Alloy Jet9 (same setup with 100mm travel )

The new X01, 1x11 Group set but with XX1 cranks because it will let you run a smaller front ring than the X01 if needed.

XT brakes with Ice Tech rotors.

I9 hubs & light bike carbon rims.

Carbon bars approx. 710mm wide.

Ergon grips.

Easton Haven stem

Revalation 120mm fork.

Dropper seat post & seat of your choice.

Start you off with Racing Ralph tyre on the back & Nobby Nic on the front.

Your choice of pedals.

This bike would be super fast & able to tackle most things you would want to throw at it.

My 2 c
    The only thing Muzz forgot to mention was earplugs for those nasty hubs he likes...

mtbr member
    Apr 2012
    Quote Originally Posted by Bailey44 View Post
    The only thing Muzz forgot to mention was earplugs for those nasty hubs he likes...
    Bah, I kinda like the sound of my i9's. Plus there is the added benefit of hikers hearing me coming at speed

Team Awesome
    I didn't like the SB95 I rented. Too big and squishy. Just my .02

Carbon & Ti rule
    Quote Originally Posted by Bailey44 View Post
    That is why the frame has pedal Damn it on it.

It is a good reminder to pedal & I have never seen a wheel set as good at making people give you room to get passed.

mtbr member
    I built a 23 lb Jet 9 RDO for about $33-3500. Of the local XC races, I see quite a few Jet 9 RDOs, but none of the others so far.

mtbr member
    May 2011
    I've got a Tallboy carbon I use for training that has been awesome, rebuilt the shock after 18 months of hard riding (Push Ind did the build) and its sweet, bulletproof for training and trails. That being said I just bought a Cannondale Scalpel for my racing bike and it is total bad-ass fast. Much lighter and stiffer, almost twitchy it's so quick. The biggest surprise and nicest feature is the through axle on the rear. Noticeably stiffer on climbs, especially if you generate big watts. I'd add the Scalpel to your demos.

mtbr member
    May 2011
    if you look at competitive cyclist, you can save $2400 on a Tallboy right now. I just bought one!

mtbr member
    Oct 2004
    For your stated purpose of mostly xc racing, I would change your "List of Three" to Jet 9 RDO, Specialized Epic, and Turner Czar. I'm currently rocking a Czar, and could not be happier. Maybe not quite as good of a pure race whip than the Epic (and what is?), but certainly a MUCH better all-around xc bike, especially for my main purpose of endurance racing.

No experience with the Jet 9, but it looks nice.
    The drive towards achievement and success is the motive power of civilization.

King of Middle Earth
    ^ been wondering about the Czar. Nice to hear good things about it. How much rear travel does it come with?
    fee-fy-fo-fum...

mtbr member
    Oct 2004
    Quote Originally Posted by Hawg View Post
    ^ been wondering about the Czar. Nice to hear good things about it. How much rear travel does it come with?
    100 mm. Firm but supple, and can easily be made a bit more "trail" oriented by removing the volume reducer from the shock (5 minutes -- minimal mech skills required).

After running a 100 mm fork for the first 8 or 10 weeks, I am trying out a 120. I won't be going back. The plusses outweigh the minuses by a lot.
    The drive towards achievement and success is the motive power of civilization.

King of Middle Earth
    Sounds a lot like my Mach 429, and moving to a 120mm fork really woke it up on the downhill tech.
    fee-fy-fo-fum...

mtbr member
    Mar 2013
    For XC I'd check out the Superfly. I have the aluminum equivalent of this bike ($3,900) but the carbon one is right at your budget mark. The one I have is FAST.

Superfly 100 Elite SL - Trek Bicycle