mtbr member
    Aug 2011

Jet Nine RDO Build vs Scalpel 29er 2 - which

I'm going to pull the trigger on my first FS bike after over 20 years on HTs. I like fast trail riding / XC on the North East's rocky and rooty trails. I also have some 50+ endurance races coming up. I weigh 175 lbs. My current ride is a Large 2011 Cannondale Flash 29er 2 (with X0). I will buy a complete build rather that my own custom build, I've narrowed it down to these two:

1) This Jet9 RDO build at competitive cyclist (XO, EA70 Wheelset, Fox Float 29 120 RLC):
    2012 Niner Jet 9 RDO/SRAM X0 Complete Bike - Competitive Cyclist

Or

2) A Cannondale Scalpel 29er 2 (available at my LBS now)

I'm interested in any opinions on the relative merits of the builds, price is almost the same. Gearing on the RDO would need to be changed and the tires.

mtbr member
    Sep 2008
    I have riden them both. last November I was going to order one of the two and I now have the RDO. The rear suspension was much better. Both are amazing bikes but the RDO felt much better to me. The small bump compliance was the big differance.
    Are you a road biker that likes hills? Try this Michigan Mountain Mayhem.

Kam
    A hopped on pop.
    how about the best of both.....just posted a few hours ago;

Jet 9 RDO pics
    "forget kings...forget hadleys......they all have crap engagement. just run your bike fixed gear." - FoShizzle

mtbr member
    Sep 2008
    Quote Originally Posted by Kam View Post
    how about the best of both.....just posted a few hours ago;

Jet 9 RDO pics
    That is exactly what I did. RDO with a Lefty.
    Are you a road biker that likes hills? Try this Michigan Mountain Mayhem.

mtbr member
    Aug 2011
    Quote Originally Posted by "Fred" View Post
    I have riden them both. last November I was going to order one of the two and I now have the RDO. The rear suspension was much better. Both are amazing bikes but the RDO felt much better to me. The small bump compliance was the big differance.
    I'm leaning that way too, perhaps swayed by the feedback on the CVA suspension like yours. The radical aesthetics of the RDO are something I'm beginning too like too.

mtbr member
    Aug 2011
    Quote Originally Posted by "Fred" View Post
    That is exactly what I did. RDO with a Lefty.
    That's an awesome machine, I could convert my 90mm lefty to 100mm and put it on the RDO, that would mean putting my HT out of use which I can't bring myself to do. If I could do the RDO with carbon lefty for 5k that would be a no brainer, but then again mixing it up a little may be good too seeming as I already have a lefty bike.

How does the project 231 lefty effect your position / head tube angle? That stem looks really high.

"THE RIDE IS MY CHURCH"
    Quote Originally Posted by Quinner View Post
    I'm going to pull the trigger on my first FS bike after over 20 years on HTs. I like fast trail riding / XC on the North East's rocky and rooty trails. I also have some 50+ endurance races coming up. I weigh 175 lbs. My current ride is a Large 2011 Cannondale Flash 29er 2 (with X0). I will buy a complete build rather that my own custom build, I've narrowed it down to these two:

1) This Jet9 RDO build at competitive cyclist (XO, EA70 Wheelset, Fox Float 29 120 RLC):
    2012 Niner Jet 9 RDO/SRAM X0 Complete Bike - Competitive Cyclist

Or

2) A Cannondale Scalpel 29er 2 (available at my LBS now)

I'm interested in any opinions on the relative merits of the builds, price is almost the same. Gearing on the RDO would need to be changed and the tires.
    I think you've read my other posts... I got a Scalpel 1 and luv it.
    You know how I feel about the Scalpel, I think it Rocks.
    I was looking to buy and RDO and didn't only because I couldn't find one to get a decent test ride. I might have owned one today instead of the Scalpel.
    IMHO and based on all the positive posts on the RDO, either way you go is a great.
    I think a lefty would work great on the RDO or for that matter, on any 29er.
    Either way you go, I think you win...