mtbr member
    Oct 2008

Jet 9 vs Tallboy

I hate asking these questions because it's a matter of preference but I'm really on the fence between these two. I ride singletrack xc on hardpack and already have a 5.5" FS 26. 5'9", 175lbs, 30" inseam.

Now I was able to demo a Tallboy and liked the short wheelbase. The geometry for the Jet is pretty similar, comparing side by side, but I'm not able to see a Jet in person.

What I like about the Jet is that it's offered at a great price through Bikebling, X7 components, and tubless ready tires. On the otherhand, the Tallboy frame is beautiful and demo ride felt great. Deore components and not tubeless ready tires are the downsides for me.

I'm not able to test out a Jet 9 so anyone that can chime in it would be much help.

mtbr member
    Jan 2004

COTA member
    I haven't ridden the Tallboy, so can't compare. I can say the Jet 9 handles great on hard pack single track - even more tight sections. I ride a medium. I have a 32" inseam and weigh 165#. The CVA suspension works great. I rarely use the lock out mechanism on the Fox RP32. The X7 2X10 SRAM package is a great deal. My only complaint is the ready with pedals (M540 SPD) to ride weight is 28#. It may be a non issue as I have not ridden a FS29er weighing less. If you do go Bikebling you can get an automatic 10% off.

Niner Bikes JET9 Review | 29er Online

mtbr member
    Jul 2011
    I own a TB and have ridden the Jet and the RIP. On the all mtn to XC continuum, the TB fits between the RIP and Jet. If you're looking for something more XC-ish to complement the 5.5" fs you have, I'd be inclined to go with the Jet (a little steeper head angle than the TB and a little less travel). Both the Jet and the TB climb quite well. I felt a little more secure on rocky descents on the TB.

Are you looking at the carbon TB or alum? Haven't seen a carbon kit with Deore stuff. I'm guessing your about a med on either, although the TB's run small. Is the 30" inseam a pant length or actual crotch to floor? I ask because I'm 6'1" w/ a 35" inseam.

mtbr member
    Oct 2008
    Thanks for the replies, I've read through your threads regarding this topic and also the review...good stuff.

Quote Originally Posted by gnome de plume View Post
    Are you looking at the carbon TB or alum? Haven't seen a carbon kit with Deore stuff. I'm guessing your about a med on either, although the TB's run small. Is the 30" inseam a pant length or actual crotch to floor? I ask because I'm 6'1" w/ a 35" inseam.
    I'm looking at medium on both and talking about the carbon version. Here's the link from hucknroll - rxc build: Santa Cruz Bicycles Tallboy Bike - RXC Build Kit - 2011 from Hucknroll.com Sorry, I was thinking dxc build, but meant rxc. Also, inseam is crotch to floor.

Carbon & Ti rule
    I would choose the Alloy Jet9 over the Carbon tallboy because it climbs better in the small ring & doesn't get the mid travel wallow under hard cornering that my Tallboy does.

The Tallboy works ok on smooth single track bit isn't as sharp in its handling IMO.

If you can afford it why not Get the Jet9 RDO ?

mtbr member
    Oct 2008
    Just pulled the trigger on the Tallboy....the fact I can't demo a Jet was the deciding factor. I'll try to post pics when it arrives. Thanks

mtbr member
    Feb 2007
    Quote Originally Posted by phidailo View Post
    I'm looking at medium on both and talking about the carbon version.
    A medium Tallboy would be equivalent to a small Jet or other Niner. A medium Jet will be bigger.

Dimensions are pretty close once you compare right sizes but the Jet's bottom bracket is 10mm higher and 5mm further forward. That's good if you like long cranks or more ground clearance but it will change the fit, moving you forward and/or more upright.

I use a 165mm crank on my Tallboy but would probably use 160 if I were to do it again. The short crank and shortish stays make it easy to get back on the bike, perhaps even a little too easy. On a Jet I used a more conventional crank, 170 or 175, and ended up further forward of the rear wheel. If a longer crank on the TB worked for you in the demo, then the Jet may end up putting you higher off the ground unless you want 180+ mm cranks. I don't think this nearly as big a deal as others like to make it out to be but it is a consideration.

The Tallboy's extra suspension travel is noticeable; the Jet will be firmer and quicker depending on choice of fork and shock setup.

mtbr member
    May 2011
    Quote Originally Posted by craigsj View Post
    The Tallboy's extra suspension travel is noticeable; the Jet will be firmer and quicker depending on choice of fork and shock setup.
    Both carbon bikes have 100mm travel.

My Tallboy I did have to size up like craigsj says above over my RIP9.

To the OP, none of my local shops have gotten their carbon JET9's yet on order so my bet is it will be next year before we see any demo bikes around.

mtbr member
    Feb 2007
    Quote Originally Posted by GSJ1973 View Post
    Both carbon bikes have 100mm travel.
    He was asking about the alloy Jet, which does not. The carbon Jet is Niner's Tallboy.

mtbr member
    May 2008
    I would take a Tallboy if you like going downhill aggressively. I know you have a 5" bike but the tallboy with a 120 fork and decent tires is very versatile and will put a smile on your face on the way down.

mtbr member
    Aug 2006
    I have the TB with a Talas and enjoy the versatility of the frame and fork. I run mine with RaRa 2.4f and 2.25r. Funny perceptions from other riders I meet on the trails...Hardcore XC racers look at my bike and ask me how I like my AM/Trail setup... hardcore AM/DH ask me how I like my XC rig...

Either way...I hope you enjoy your bike as much as I have. I got mine in March and have roughly 700 miles on it now.

mtbr member
    Oct 2008

Sizing

I didn't feel the need to size up....I demo'ed the medium with 100mm stem and it felt great. I think 5'9/10" can go with either medium or large and adjust stem/bar/seat position.

Carbon & Ti rule
    The Jet9 RDO is awesome.

Looking forward to some Good long fast rides on the Jet9 RDO's. I have done some good rides on my Tallboy on different types of tracks so have got a handle on how it goes both good & bad.

From a looks point of view putting the Tallboy & Jet9 RDO side by side you can see how Niner has used the carbon & not followed the norm & have made the bike much stronger all around & it is much stiffer than the Tallboy.

My Tallboy looks like a Vintage along side the RDO,Time will tell if the ride feels the same.
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Jet 9 vs Tallboy-img_4833.jpg  

Jet 9 vs Tallboy-img_4843.jpg  

Last edited by muzzanic; 08-13-2011 at 03:36 AM.

Trail Junkie
    I have no experience with the RDO, but I do have about 1700mi on my Tallboy since Jan. I have mine set up 1x10 36T with a MRP chainguide sitting at 23.7lb. XO kit, decent wheels and carbon cockpit w/ a Reba 120 fork. It is by far the easiest bike to ride up and down (down being relative to how techy it is..its not a big travel bike) but it makes you believe it is one while retaining its snappiness and steering precision.

I would not compare the Tallboy to the aluminum Jet9, its much more bike. I built up a Jet9 for a friend last Nov. and traded bikes for a few days to try them out. He didn't want to give back the tallboy, and I didn't really want to ride the Jet9 anymore than I had to. The Jet9 was fast and efficient, but it lacked plushness. I think it was due to the compression ratios on the shock. I fiddled with it and could not get it to feel anywhere close to the Tallboy over the 3 days of the swap. The carbon in general is just more comfortable and takes quite a bit of the edge off the trail that you would otherwise feel on the Jet9. Like I said, I can't speak for the RDO, this may have remedied the problem.

I haven't spending much time on my tallboy simply because I ride singlespeed too, and at this time of the year I am usually on the SS or my road bike. Mostly because I can get my girlfriend out on the trails and want to be challenged...oh and she can ride I can say though that it is the most plushest bike I ever felt and the most fun to ride anywhere and everywhere. It is my "go-to" bike for riding everything everywhere, and I wouldn't trade it for anything else on the market.

It didn't get 2011 Bicycling Magazine Mountain bike of the Year for nothing...It does everything well, no compromise, fun machine!

As for my friend with the Jet9...he hasn't spent much time on it since he rode my tallboy, he wants one for himself.
    Santa Cruz Tallboy c
    Lynskey Pro29 SS
    Cervelo S2
    Spech Tricross Exp
    Raleigh Rx1.0

Fut. Bikes:
    Misfit diSSent
    Soma ES

Is it Friday yet?
    Quote Originally Posted by muzzanic View Post
    The Jet9 RDO is awesome.

Looking forward to some Good long fast rides on the Jet9 RDO's. I have done some good rides on my Tallboy on different types of tracks so have got a handle on how it goes both good & bad.

From a looks point of view putting the Tallboy & Jet9 RDO side by side you can see how Niner has used the carbon & not followed the norm & have made the bike much stronger all around & it is much stiffer than the Tallboy.

My Tallboy looks like a Vintage along side the RDO,Time will tell if the ride feels the same.
    VERY nice stable!

mtbr member
    i look forward to reading your review of the RDO, i'm really interested in hearing about the rear-end stifness difference b/t the TB and RDO.

The Jet9 RDO is awesome.

mtbr member
    Feb 2007
    You can tell the bike is much stronger and stiffer by looks alone? That's amazing considering you can't see the layup.

Nothing like a glowing review after nothing more than a glance; the pretense of objectivity is an especially nice touch. Of course time will tell! So now the TB is uglier, too. It's getting that petty.

Looking forward to your next 50 posts saying how much better your bike-of-the-moment is than everyone else's. I really hope Niner does a carbon RIP so we can witness your switchover to trashing the RDO as inadequate. It's only a matter of time. How are you going to get Rotor to do carbon System cranks, hopefully in 185mm?

Carbon & Ti rule
    You can tell the bike is much stronger and stiffer by looks alone? That's amazing considering you can't see the layup.

Nothing like a glowing review after nothing more than a glance; the pretense of objectivity is an especially nice touch. Of course time will tell! So now the TB is uglier, too. It's getting that petty.

Looking forward to your next 50 posts saying how much better your bike-of-the-moment is than everyone else's. I really hope Niner does a carbon RIP so we can witness your switchover to trashing the RDO as inadequate. It's only a matter of time. How are you going to get Rotor to do carbon System cranks, hopefully in 185mm?
    You really are a bitter old man !!!!

Enough of the dark side..
    The Jet9 RDO is awesome.

There is nothing wrong with favouring one bike over another, there is no need for people to be defensive about it either, probably why I don't like hanging around forums too much....I chose a J9RDO because it's a true small 29er dually, standover is the best and the Niner frame has a lot to offer, cant come quick enough!
    Don't use Mr Sheen on your brakes, listen to your Mother.

mtbr member
    Feb 2007
    Quote Originally Posted by BillyMTB View Post
    There is nothing wrong with favouring one bike over another, ...
    But that's not the problem either. It's the bombing of the forums to push a bike, the creation of multiple top level threads, the topic-derailing posts, the transparent lies, and the relentless trashing of the competition that's the problem. It's the intention to advance one frame, unseen and never ridden, at the unjustified expense of another; the creation of a new cult for no reason other than personal gratification.

A while back another member, Duece9er, waged a similar battle to discredit Niner. He moaned and played the victim, and I was labeled a Niner lover for calling him on it, but getting rid of garbage provides a service. Forums are useless when they are filled with lies and, while it's true that I make no friends with these kinds of posts, why would I want to be friends with people like Duece9er and muzzanic anyway?

I have no problem with someone preferring an RDO over a Tallboy, I might myself, but nothing muzzanic says can be taken seriously. He has an agenda and routinely makes stuff up to push it as he just did here. There IS something wrong with that.

Enough of the dark side..
    But that's not the problem either. It's the bombing of the forums to push a bike, the creation of multiple top level threads, the topic-derailing posts, the transparent lies, and the relentless trashing of the competition that's the problem. It's the intention to advance one frame, unseen and never ridden, at the unjustified expense of another; the creation of a new cult for no reason other than personal gratification.

A while back another member, Duece9er, waged a similar battle to discredit Niner. He moaned and played the victim, and I was labeled a Niner lover for calling him on it, but getting rid of garbage provides a service. Forums are useless when they are filled with lies and, while it's true that I make no friends with these kinds of posts, why would I want to be friends with people like Duece9er and muzzanic anyway?

I have no problem with someone preferring an RDO over a Tallboy, I might myself, but nothing muzzanic says can be taken seriously. He has an agenda and routinely makes stuff up to push it as he just did here. There IS something wrong with that.
    Personally I believe that both frames are amazing pieces of engineering and that either frame should make anyone happy and you would choose what is best for you, the frame that has the features you would want. If the J9RDO wasn't around I would probably have a TB if the standover was as good as the Niner. I do find it hard to believe that the TB is as bad as described, there are many happy TB owners, if I was a little taller I would have been one of them months ago. The TB also has many great things going for it as well as does the J9RDO.

I've been waiting for the IBIS 29er all this time but if you can't get a water bottle in there and it's also a medium like the TB, well....I'm glad the J9RDO came along.

A friend is also considering a new 29er dually, TB is highest on his list so far!

Thank goodness for awesome 29er dually choices, I'd love to ride them all!!!
    Don't use Mr Sheen on your brakes, listen to your Mother.