mtbr member
    Aug 2004

Jet 9 vs Epic comp

This might be a shot in the dark, but I figured that I would take a shot.
    A friend of mind that just started getting into Mt Biking is looking to get a Full Suspension 29er, it has more or less come down to the Niner Jet 9 or the Specialized Epic comp.
    I am wondering if anyone might have any insights into how these 2 compare and if one has any major advantages or disadvantageous (aside from the brain) over the other.

mtbr member
    Jun 2012
    he needs to testride and buy what feels best.

Your Best Friend
    You cannot remove the brain from the equation when comparing an Epic equipped with one. The FSR suspension is a very active and plush system. It is excellent in soaking up bumps and not having any brake jack. It is also very prone to bobbing while pedaling and without a stiff rear axle, it is flexy (so many small pivots). The brain is the band-aid to fix these problems. Without it, you just get a decent suspension designed in the late 80s-early 90s.

The Jet 9 uses a dual short link rear end that has been designed using all of the knowledge gained in suspension systems over the last two decades. It isn't perfect but it works really well without a proprietary shock. It is a hair heavier but that is balanced out by all the things it does really well.
    I guide and rent bikes in Northern Utah

http://www.facebook.com/AdventureEarthRides

mtbr member
    Feb 2008
    Both are good choices XC bikes. I have owned a Jet9 (now on a Jet 9 RDO) and I have ridden Epics multiple times.

The Jet9 has a great suspension with little bob. The Epic uses the brain that can be very firm for maximum efficiency, at the expense of complexity and proprietary parts.

Try both and get the one you really like the most. Both good options.

mtbr member
    Aug 2004
    If I understand correctly that sounds like a vote for the Jet 9.

mtbr member
    Feb 2008
    Quote Originally Posted by trener1 View Post
    If I understand correctly that sounds like a vote for the Jet 9.
    If you are referring to my comment above, I really like both bikes. You probably have a vibe for one, more than the other. Try both, get the one you like best.