mtbr member
    Nov 2004

Jet 9 vs Ellsworth Epiphany

Hello All,

I've been out of the MTB scene for about 5 years and am ready to jump back in, so to speak. My current ride is an Ellsworth Epiphany, which has served me quite well, but I am looking for a possible change in hopes of re-igniting the flame.

I'm considering a very lightly used 2012 Jet 9(non RDO) I've found for a good price. I really like the way the bike feels, although I've only taken it on a short test hop. My concern is weather or not the bike would handle the technical, tight, rocky single track here in Central Texas. I'm sure it will roll over rocks better than my Epi, but what about plushness/ride quality? One area my Epi really excels is plushness in the rough stuff. I prefer to sit and spin on technical rocky climbs, versus standing and pedaling. I care more about ride comfort than pedaling efficiecy. Also, fwiw, I don't do any drops over 2-3 feet and don't do any crazy downhill, just slow, short techy type descents. What about BB height? Is the Jets BB height considerd to be adequate for average trail riding?

What do you guys think? Is the Jet a good replacement/upgrade from the Epi for the type of riding I do?

Thanks for any input.

mtbr member
    Mar 2011

Jet vs Epi

I haven't spent time on the Jet but I ride a similar 4'' travel 29, and I previously rode an Epiphany for many years. The Epi has a very smooth ride in rocks/roots with very active sus. If you are a spinner its a great rough trail ride. From what I have read about the Jet and my 4'' travel 29 I would think its a less plush ride. It probably would be faster but a firmer ride. I ride with several riders on the Epi and they seem very happy with the bike. I would go for an active Horst link 29 to get that same feeling, like The Stumpjumper,Ells Evolve, I'm sure there are others.

mtbr member
    Mar 2011

Jet v Epi

Correction, I should include the Rip-9 in the plusher type rides.

mtbr member
    Sep 2011
    my 2 cent worth, having own a couple of bikes and Ellsworth Epi sst2 was one of them and a niner Jet 9 RDO amount other bikes.
    Epi is an okie bike but suffer from pedal bob. it was equip with full XTR parts and i pay a high price for it.. rode it for about 6 month and decide that it wasnt my type of ride. it plush and it does help absorb alot of hit / bumps for you but because it plush, sometime u pay a price for it when you are climbing or getting out of the saddle to do your climb. it soak up your energy.
    now for the niner, its a 29er. its about 4inch travel. but i ride faster and longer with this than my ellsworth. Yes its firm but yet it soak up the hit n bumps well and i am sitting most of the time and it climb hell lot better than my ellsworth and since i dont spend soo much energy pedaling up compare to my ellsworth, i feel better... so if you ask me . having ridden both Epi and a Niner.. .. a NINER would be my choice but mine is a Jet 9 RDO
    a buddy of mine had both Jet 9 and the Jet 9 RDO and he said that the RDO is alot faster but almost everything is the same to him

mtbr member
    May 2011
    I live in Austin and rode a Jet9 alloy. The bb is higher than average, which is perfect for all the rocks and ledges around here. I liked the faster steering in tight corners. It is a very efficient, firm pedaling bike. I loved the way it handled climbs. It's tough to make three inches of travel feel plush, so if that is what you want, you will be disappointed.

I had a Spearfish before the Jet and had a love/hate experience. I eventually landed on my current ride, a Rip9 set at 120mm f/r. It's a much better fit for my riding style (came from bmx). Plus, you can build it up light or burly depending on your tastes. With nearly identical parts my Rip came in only 1.5 lbs heavier than the
    Jet and it is much more capable.

I still have my Jet frame and a SID XX fork if you're interested in building one up instead of buying complete. Feel free to drop me a PM.