mtbr member
    Jan 2009

Jamis Dakota 29?

Hello everyone...brand new to the forums. But I was trying to get a little input on the 2009 Jamis Dakota 29er. I'm relatively new to trail riding, but have been riding pretty hard for the past couple years...I say hard but definitely not great. I've been riding a 2008 Jamis Durango 2, but kind of fell in love with the 29er at my LBS recently. I would love any opinions/suggestions on the Dakota. My LBS which has been great to me deals mainly in Jamis and Specialized, so in a perfect world those would be the companies I'm interested in. But I don't want to write off any other makes, even though I've loved my Durango to death. And I really want to steer clear of anything over $2K. Thanks in advance and good riding.

M_S
    mtbr member
    Nov 2007
    Well, if you want to continue the relationship with that LBS, what other brands do they sell?

The Jamis looks solid though, and I've always liked that company. Maybe it's because I really regret selling my Jamis touring bike.

mtbr member
    Jan 2009
    Thanks for the quick reply. That's the thing though...my current LBS is pretty freaking small. lol So really the only two brands they carry in regards to trail XC bikes are Jamis and Specialized. Like I said though...if there is a better bike out there I'm willing to purchase elsewhere if I must. But atleast in the relatively short time I've rode my Durango I couldn't have been happier and the Dakota just seems like a nice step up...

Former Bike Wrench
    Nothing wrong with a Jamis, good solid bikes. But since they carry Specialized as well...might be worth a look at the Stumpjumper Comp 29

mtbr member
    Jan 2009
    This will be my only bump...

But anyone else have an opinion I'd love to hear it. As it stands I'm still looking at the Jamis Dakota and the Specialized Rockhopper Expert Disc 29...anyone have an opinion between those two or comments on anything?

Happy in Happy Valley
    Jun 2008
    The Dakota is more expensive, but has a much better component group. The rockhopper is more of an 'entry level' bike, but saves you ~$500. I'd rather ride the Dakota.

I think the Stumpjumper comp 29 is a more direct comparison to the Dakota. I think the Dakota still wins-- better fork, and cheaper (~1600 v. ~1900). The only place the stumpy wins out is in slightly beter pedals and brakes. I'd still rather ride the Dakota.

My $0.02
    Rigid Surly 1x1 650b--------Fixed CrossCheck--------Surly Pacer-------Salsa Ala Carte

mtbr member
    Jan 2009
    Greatly appreciated! That's exactly the kind of response I was hoping for...I've been riding for quite a while now. But I still have a ton of research to do...it's nearly impossible to look at two bike by their specs and say which one has better components. I'm sure I'll get there eventually. lol Thanks again.

mtbr member
    Jun 2004
    See if they'll bring in an 08 Stumpjumper Comp 29er for you. Last I saw, there were plenty left, and they come in under your $2000 pricepoint. Better spec than the Rockhopper and cool sliding dropouts. I'd say the spec is a bit better than the Dakota. Certainly the cranks and wheels are better on the Stumpy.

I picked up one yesterday. I like. Maybe my digital scale is off, but it's surprisingly light.
    cyclo-cross, veganism, single speeds, collegiate cycling, and literature - blog-style: notthewolverine

mtbr member
    Apr 2007
    What also might seal the deal for you is the size of the bike you need. Twice I tried to purchase the Dakota 29er in 22" size and both times they told me to wait a few months at least. Same with Specialized and their Stumjumper. I ended up with an '08 Gary Fisher X-Caliber and couldn't be happier. If you're going to drop around $1500 on a bike I would seriously look at the X-Caliber.

4 Niners
    Dec 2008
    My general opinion is that with Jamis you get really good bang for the buck in both road and MTB. My general opinion with Specialized is that they are way too proud of their stuff in both road and MTB segments.

Birthday Collector
    Reef_Raider - Either bike is a good ride, but I think that the Jamis is a better value overall. If you upgrade to the Specialized Stumpy Comp for a few nicer parts, it is also about $300 more and the upgrade parts are questionable improvements IMO. The R'hopper Expert is a bit lower-priced but the Dakota has better brakes, fork, crankset, wheels, pedals, and especially derailluers and shifters. It would cost many times the price to upgrade the Rockhopper to the Jamis component level. All that said, ride them both if you can, and get the one that feels the best ultimately. Parts are nice, but the frame is the heart of the bike and if one is much better feeling than the other, buy it.
    R.I.P. Corky 10/97-4/09
    Disclaimer: I sell and repair bikes for a living
    http://www.endlesscyclesonline.com

mtbr member
    Jan 2009
    Well I really do appreciate all the input from this board. After spending a little over 3 hours at my LBS store and its sister store a few miles away yesterday....I decided to go with the Jamis Dakota 29er. I rode both of them, even if it was just on the parking lot, but felt more comfortable on the Jamis. So when all was said and done I walked away spending just over $1,400 and should have it by mid-week. They only had a 18" frame in stock and I definitely need a 20"....I can't wait to get on it and ride!

Dorkimus Prime
    Offer them 2k and your Durango for a Dragon 29er - which in my opinion is a bike for life!

mtbr member
    Mar 2007
    Er....you did know that JensenUSA has got the 07 Dakota 29'ers on sale for $800, don't you? Maybe not quite as well specced, but seems like a real good bike for the money. Whatever you get, you'll be pleased with, no doubt.

Happy in Happy Valley
    Jun 2008
    Quote Originally Posted by Doggity
    Er....you did know that JensenUSA has got the 07 Dakota 29'ers on sale for $800, don't you? Maybe not quite as well specced, but seems like a real good bike for the money. Whatever you get, you'll be pleased with, no doubt.

The spec is def worse... Tora fork, deore cranks etc.

And none in OPs size.
    Rigid Surly 1x1 650b--------Fixed CrossCheck--------Surly Pacer-------Salsa Ala Carte

mtbr member
    Jun 2004
    Quote Originally Posted by yourdaguy
    My general opinion is that with Jamis you get really good bang for the buck in both road and MTB. My general opinion with Specialized is that they are way too proud of their stuff in both road and MTB segments.
    I've been riding both brands for a long time, and this sounds pretty spot on. I am, however, starting to get the Specialized "thing." It's good stuff and well thought out, mostly.

Can't complain about Jamis either.
    cyclo-cross, veganism, single speeds, collegiate cycling, and literature - blog-style: notthewolverine

mtbr member
    Apr 2007
    Reef have you been riding your new Dakota? What do you think so far?

mtbr member
    Dec 2004
    Yeah, how is it? I'm very interested in the Dakota 29 myself.

mtbr member
    Jan 2009
    For those asking for an update...yes I've been riding the hell out of it since I got it a few weeks ago! I'm loving every minute of it and knock on wood I've yet to have any issues with the bike. To be honest though I took it really easy the first week getting comfortable being clipped in and getting use to the larger tires. I do a lot of straight up excercise biking throughout the week and the 29" tires make the cruising so much nicer. The last two weekends I've hit the trails hard....ate dirt once or twice. lol It really took a little bit of getting use to the large wheel size and little bit dimished turning ability in tight turns. Overall all though man those 29ers really make some of the tough root sections a cake walk and although it will never compare to a soft tail...it is a smoother ride for sure. I've never had an issue with either of my Jamis bikes and if you are looking for a 29er I'd recommend it in a heart beat. Any questions feel free to ask...

mtbr member
    Apr 2007
    Reef, you sound just like me.

I bought my Dakota 29er on a whim to ride to work and to ride pavement in order to keep my Dakar XLT in good condition for fun rides. I ended up selling my Dakar in January.

I've been putting 40 legit cross country miles a week in on my Dakota. If I ever go back to FS it will be to get a FS 29er.

I have the 20 inch frame.

I've put a zero degree thompson stem and carbon risers on it and I use crank brothers candies. Otherwise, it's still stock. I ordered a new rear cluster and I have a bash guard. Going to convert it to a 1X9 once I strategically pick the day of the week to have it down...

mtbr member
    Dec 2004
    The Ritchey seatposts don't have too good of reviews on here. Though the last review I believe was from 07. They may have fixed the issues with it. Have you noticed anything that might suggest that its not durable?

mtbr member
    Apr 2007
    My 07 came with a Easton seatpost that had a little throw that I didn't like.

I put the Truvativ off my Dakar on the Dakota and sent the Easton away with the Dakar's new owner.

I'm 6 feet 196 lbs and I hammer on my stuff. It came with a really narrow flat bar (east coast thing I guess) and a foo foo stem so I swapped those out well before I even rode the bike.

Othwerwise, so far, everything on the bike is holding up. I want to elimate the remote lockout on the fork when I go to one by nine just to get to that "bmx" feel at the bars without completely going singlespeed.

mtbr member
    Aug 2008
    Sorry I didn't see this thread when it first came out. I bought my Jamis Dakota 29er last August, and I couldn't be happier with it. I've hammered it off-road, but mostly put street / path miles on it for exercise. I'm 6'2", 250 lbs. I did a lot of shopping around before I bought it from the LBS, and it was definately the most bang for the buck for a hardtail 29er.

Still very pleased with the purchase half a year later.