HOV
    mtbr member

Jabberwocky frame prep?

Hello all

I'm replacing my current frame with a Vassago Jabberwocky. Would like to know:

1. Does Vassago face the BB shell & headtube from the factory?
    2. Does it matter if there's a little paint in the BB shell threads?
    3. If the frame has been faced, does it matter if there's paint on the faced area, or should that be scraped off prior to (Ext. Bearing) BB installation?

I've searched the subject but only came up with a few mentions, I want to be sure on the facing issue before I continue on with the build.

Muchas gracias amigos!

mtbr member
    They claim to do that. My current Jabberwocky came faced and chased. If you are asking about paint in the faced area and paint in the BB threads it doesn't sound like it was done. If it was it wasn't done very well.
    You should also treat your frame with Frame Saver of Boeshield T-9 to prevent rust prior to completing the build.

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by Captain_America1976 View Post
    They claim to do that. My current Jabberwocky came faced and chased. If you are asking about paint in the faced area and paint in the BB threads it doesn't sound like it was done. If it was it wasn't done very well.
    You should also treat your frame with Frame Saver of Boeshield T-9 to prevent rust prior to completing the build.
    If in doubt, you can take the frame to a shop - facing the head tube and bottom bracket is not a big deal.

BTW, in case it's not obvious, the frame treatment (Boeshield, etc) is for the INSIDE of the frame to protect rust prone steel from corrosion.
    Use it, use it, use it while you still have it.

HOV
    mtbr member
    Yes, I have a can of frame saver that I plan to apply tonight. On the inside. LOL, it never hurts to be clear!

I've had other frames chased and faced at my LBS, but if the frame was faced from the factory I don't want to do it again. Chasing I don't care so much about, but facing a frame twice, no thanks.

Captain America - was there paint on the leading edge of your BB shell when you got your frame?

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by HOV View Post
    Captain America - was there paint on the leading edge of your BB shell when you got your frame?
    I don't remember. Sorry

mtbr member
    May 2005
    Claimed to be done at the factory. I have owned at least 5 Vassago's and have not needed to do it again. Frame saver, and build has been fine with mine.