mtbr member
    Nov 2009

Jab vs Inbred w Fork choice

I won't go into why I am going 29 and SS, still not getting rid of my 26 HT, but there is something about the simplicity and memories of being a kid again.

So my choices are down to an Inbred and Jabber. Some one on here said to get the Inbred with the Vassago ODIS fork. But you can get an Inbred with their CF fork for $449 shipped.

The Jabber frame is $499 alone. ODIS fork is $180.

One thing I am concerned about is customer service with On-One. I have compared geometry, it is damn near identical. Same material.

Would win over the other out of this combo? Why to you? I like to ride hard and fast single track. Sorry if this is has come up before, but thanks for the input.
    Jimms

aka "SirLurkAlot"
    Mar 2010
    I'm assuming that you made a typo and meant to say that you're concerned with Vassago customer service. I've never had problems with On One.

Vassago appears to be non existant with a history of poor customer service. The latest rumor has them closing shop for good.

I would buy On One based on that criteria.

mtbr member
    Mar 2007
    IMO, $180 for an ODIS fork is a joke. I rode a Bandersnatch with ODIS fork fork 2 years. It was okay - nothing good or bad to say either way. Replaced the BS with a Soma Juice and Salsa Cromoto fork and liked the feel of the ride MUCH better. For half the price, I would take the Salsa fork 10 out of 10 times.

I'm sure others will chime in, but right now with the state of Vassago, I'd go with the Inbred. You know they'll be around a year from now.
    Enjoy the ride!

mtbr member extraordinair
    On One FTW!
    I loved my inbred for many years! Only this year I picked up a brand new Tallboy, so I dont anticipate riding it as much now But I'll be keeping it, its such a great bike!
    Grit, spit, and a whole lot of duct tape!

mtbr member
    Inbred w/cf fork = win!

Thats what I ride and every year I expect to get a new bike and cant bring myself to replace it. It just does what its supposed to do. It will always have a place in the stable and for the $ you cant go wrong.

The Hutch
    +1 for On-One, because who knows the future of Vassago.
    follow me on twitter
    @RobertEHutch

mtbr member
    on-one! The future does not look bright for vassago, assuming they're even still viable (from what I read here)
    [SIZE=1][/SIZE]

I always bleed like this.
    I have had both. Inbred went missing off my rack and the Jab replaced it.
    For my riding style, (ss rigid as well) the Inbred was the better ride.
    I am trying to figure out what size Nimble 9 I want to go with but if the choice was between the two I would get the Inbred in a heartbeat. There is nothing wrong with the Jab. But it is not as nimble to me and I have never been able to get it dialed in. That has to do with multiple things, (all to do with me) which I won't go into but the best explanation is that before my Inbred disappeared it would disappear under me on the trail as I rode it. The jab never has regardless of how I set it up.

Also, geo on the two is not the same. 444mm on the CS's on the Inbred with 454.5 on the Jab.
    10.5mm is a good chunk.

mtbr member
    Nov 2009
    And that is why I ask everyone.

So thoughts on Vassago.........from a LBS..........that HuckNRoll(only people selling them) probably bought Vassago. HuckNRoll is owned by Backcountry.com. And their CS is amazing, some of the best in the business. So I guess we can see what happens.

I guess I am going to have a get the On-One and paint it black.

Anyone know of another manufacturer making a ODIS style fork, out of steel?

aka "SirLurkAlot"
    Mar 2010
    Quote Originally Posted by Jimms View Post
    And that is why I ask everyone.

So thoughts on Vassago.........from a LBS..........that (only people selling them) probably bought Vassago. is owned by . And their CS is amazing, some of the best in the business. So I guess we can see what happens.
    In one of the Vassago threads I believe a employee said they've given up on them. Even they couldn't get a response.

Buy Vassago if that's what you want. You can find them used rather easily. It's going to handle very differently from an Inbred. Some like it and some don't but they're not the same handling bike.

[/QUOTE]I guess I am going to have a get the On-One and paint it black.

Anyone know of another manufacturer making a ODIS style fork, out of steel?[/QUOTE]

You can get a Salsa CroMoto Grande.

I always bleed like this.
    Odis style fork? If you can find one of the old Inbred steel forks you just found it. They might as well be identical, except the old Inbred fork had stars on the top of each leg. Same design if my memory serves. Otherwise you would probably have to go custom.

mtbr member
    Nov 2009
    What exactly do you mean by it is going to handle differently?

Does it have something to do with Vassago stating you ride in their bike, not on it?

mtbr member
    Mar 2007
    $180 for an Odis fork is insane. The CroMoto grande is a better riding fork by almost every account and it's $100.

mtbr member
    Nov 2009
    Yeah they don't make that fork in 29 anymore?

aka "SirLurkAlot"
    Mar 2010
    What exactly do you mean by it is going to handle differently?

Does it have something to do with Vassago stating you ride in their bike, not on it?
    I have owned at least 7 HT 29ers and I have played around with the effective chainstay length on an Inbred.

I tried running the Inbred with the axle all the way to the front of the drops - shortest chainstay and all the way to the rear - longest chainstay. Vassago's "wet cat" geometry runs a long chainstay. As someone stated, it's 10mm longer than the Inbred and I believe that's from the center position on the Inbred. Regardless, that is a lot and it absolutely changes the feel and the way the bike handles. I noticed it. I tried this years ago before you had the choices and geometry that you have today. I don't like the way the Inbred handled with the longer chainstay but some folks really like the way a Vassago handles. Everybody is different.

My point was that they will handle differently because of this. I'm not making a judgement on which is better as everyone likes different stuff. But, I do think that it's dramatic enough that ridden back to back, you would notice it. If you ride bikes with varying geometry you start to get a feel for what suits you best. Maybe you can find someone in your area that can let you ride their bikes. I'm in NC and you're welcome to try mine.

mtbr member
    +1 for an Inbred

Need an OnOne Steel 29er?

aka "SirLurkAlot"
    Mar 2010
    Yeah they don't make that fork in 29 anymore?
    I haven't ridden the Odis but I rode a CroMoto Grande for a while and really liked it. They're still readily available and much more in line with reality for a steel, non-custom fork. $ 180 is a lot of dough for an Odis.

mtbr member
    I was in the same predicament a few months back, chose the Jabber over the OnOne even thought i already own a OnOne (456). Love Inbreds, just couldn't get over the colors selection of the Inbred. Probably not the best way to choose a bike but i'm happy with the Jabber. I'm running a Surly fork cause i had it sitting around.

if your worried about customer support i would go with the Inbred. OnOne has great customer support, they always responded to my many emails.

mtbr member
    Dec 2009
    The on one seems like a great deal. I have a jabber and really enjoy the bike so much that my $3,500 FS bike hasn't been ridden in a year.

It does kind've handle like a boat, but it is super stable.

mtbr member
    Mar 2007
    Hey Jimms, Dallas Bike Works in Dallas TX has their Vassago frames on closeout. You might want to give them a call and see what they can do for you on shipping you one out. A dollar saved is a dollar spent on nicer wheels!