Page 1 of 6 1 2 3 4 5 ... LastLast
    "Its All Good"

Cool-blue Rhythm It's not just about the Bike, but the journey to the bike also.....

Long post........

Where do I start......... Who knows, but will just launch into it...

Have followed the big wheel movement for a good many years, will say have not ever thought negative of it, because I had not tried it....

As they say "Don't knock it till you have tried it"

At the same time, as us bikers do, we study bikes and the topic in general and through doing this, we always have favorites. Could be Bikes, frames, forks, shocks, or frame material etc etc etc...

For me one thing has stuck in my mind for many years now, many many moons... This is the Jeff Jones Space Frame............. For me it is the epitome of cool, it is "Functional Art" in a hobbie that consumes me....

I saw pictures, studied the website, watched the wait list, watched Jeff cease taking names on the wait list etc etc etc....

One of the pictures that consumes me.

I was still somewhat frustrated that I could not get on the waiting list so to speak. Back in April of this year, I read that Jeff Jones had worked an agreement with Merlin. There was a substantial thread on this toic, of which bought up many good points etc.new jones bikes made by merlin

This to me was exciting, it may have opened a door to possibly get a Jeff Jones Ti 29'er SS........... MMMMMMMmmmmmm Yummy.....

Time progressed, I always really enjoyed Aqua's posts of him on his Jones.. I then made contact with Aqua and said, I so want a Jones etc etc, he said, heck make contact with Jeff...... After some deliberation, I made contact with Jeff.....

I emailed Jeff, I wrote pretty much what I have explained. Jeff replied almost immediately, he had actually been in Scotland at the SS Worlds... Jeff once again explained the wait list, 200 plus, and the fact that he makes some 10 frames per year and that he couldnt actually tell me how long it would take for him to build me a Jones... In my original email to Jeff, I told him about my my feelings of having a Jones made my Merlin, it would be great, but still wouldnt be a Jones... Am sure many will know what I mean.... Jeff in his reply stated that he himself was riding a Merlin built Jones.

Jeff said I should give him a call and we can talk about things. I took Jeff up on this. We had a great talk, spent time on the topic of the Merlin making of the Jones frames... Jeff was not at all on the sell, am sure many will believe he will have been, but those that have talked to Jeff via phone or in real life, will know what I mean... He mentioned that the welds etc would more than likely be better than his etc etc. This all made sense to me....(thinking, thinking, thinking)

A picture from Jeff's emails to me, a true favorite of mine......A good photo of a true free spirited cat...

After going through things in my mind over and over........ I came to the conclusion that if I wanted a Jeff Jones Space Frame bike, I need to look seriously at the Merlin built Jones frames.... I decided I would go ahead with the Merlin built Jones frame. I by no means feel like I have sold out, I had to be realistic. I totally feel good about it, it will still be a Jones bike for me, its the ride characteristics I want from Jeff's designed frame first and foremost... In saying that, I would have not said no to Jeff building me one if he could....

So with decision made, Jeff heard from me many times, measurements, riding style, terrain typed etc... It may well be worth while mentioning here that at present I am based in Spain on an assignment, home country being New Zealand. Of which I finish at the end of the calendar year. So the my Jones will be based in New Zealand, so had to look at the terrain and conditions for NZ, this was no problem at all..

I then had to decide on options for the frame, EBB, SS, geared, geared 1 x 9, brake boss's, bottle holders, mudguard boss's, rack boss's etc etc etc.

My frame will be a dedicate SS, no bottle cage, mudguard, rack mounts at all, no cable guides for gears. The front fork will have 2 brake boss guides, seeing as though I am going hydrolic disc brakes. I will have the possiblity to bolt on a rear der, if I so desire, I woudl then zip tie the gear cable to the rear stay... I dont want the ability to have ease of change to a geared bike....

More pics from Jeff on the frame....

A frontal view

I got the frame ordered which comes with a seatpost, headset, stem. I of course ordered the H bars, and the front fork....

I mentioned to Jeff that we can discuss other components etc once we get the frame order squared away....

Jeff let me know that all was ordered and in place and that I shoudl have my frame in December this year... Yeah ha....

I then put my thinking cap on re brakes, cranks, wheels etc.

Jeff let me know that he had his own style of cranks, built from modified XTR cranks. See below.....

I had in mind the new XTR cranks etc, along with FSA of which I use on my MotoLite, many things were going through my mind... I decided to go with Jeff's modified cranks... Hang, if he wasnt welding my frame, I wanted him to male everything else possible..

Next choice was wheels, as I am a newbie on big wheels etc, I broached the topic with Jeff, and along with loads of reading from the 29er forum on here.... Jeff mentioned som new rims he had demoed from Salsa, that are really wide etc, Jeff rated these highly. One problem though, they are not released till Spring 08. See attached new Salsa rim. See Salsa's site for details. Salsa

So to carry me over, I am going with Stans ZTR Flow rims, and from what I read and here, am not un happy about this decision.... Hubs, mmmmm, I have had a great run with Chris King hubs, along with Hadley, am having a great run with my Industry 9 wheels set as well... What to do... Well I decided to go with Chris King hubs... Oh sheesh, colour of the hubs. I have had blue, have red I9's, black Hadleys.. What to do.. I had decided that the hubs would be the only colour on the bike apart from black, silver and of course Ti.... I decided on Mango for the colour..... Jeff got these ordered, even emailed me when my hubs arrived.... Yummy me thinks...

Spokes am going with DT SuperCompetition, 2.0/1.7/1.8mm (14/16/15 gauge). Black in colour.

Wheels sorted....

Brakes. This was an easy decision for me, am a Mugura lover, well not literally, but love their brakes. Have Marta SL's on my MotoLite, Marta on my DJ bike and Louise Carbons on my Nicolai.... So we are going with Marta SL's.... Easy for stocking pads and maintenance for me....

Cranks and sprockets, so am going with the Jones modified crank with a 32T front sprocket, I will get 2 rear sprockets a 20T and a 21T. These will be Boone titanium cogs.

Nearly forgot the saddle.... I have a Fizik on the MotoLite, really like them, so was exploring what saddle for the Jones... I decided to get a custom Fizik Aliante saddle, with a subtle splash of Mango in colour....

All is set, all choices have been made, the waiting game is going down now... This what is not a bad wait though. Jeff is keeping in touch all the way, this makes this journey all the better and enjoyable... This week Jeff is working on the cranks, so he sent me some pictures.... This folks is true service.

I know waiting very well, and to read of some of the waits people on here have had, my 7 months for my Nicolai was tame..

Through this journey thus far, I have found Jeff to have super knowledge, with his firm beliefs, of which he discusses these well and is not at all pushy. Someone whom is living life under his terms, this for me is very very cool....

Will post up more as time goes on, and of course the final build when I recieve it.... I may well go and meet Jeff to pick up the bike, it only see's fitting actually....

And to take the Jones out for a ride with Aqua in Ca before departing LAX would be the ducks nuts!

A favorite shot for me to finish with. Aqua you rock bro.....
    Attached Images Attached Images
    The_Lecht_Rocks: whafe - cheeers - may i offer an official apology for the wagon wheeler "dis-belief"

29 some of the time...
    Nice, wish I had 10 years worth of work on lock down

That picture of him airing out the bike is great. I am always stoked on the action shots of him on his bikes. I can't imagine going that big on a rigid bike. Every time I have it hasn't ended well

Enjoy the wait. Fortunately it won't be the full 10 years....
    Quote Originally Posted by saturnine
    that's the stupidest idea this side of pinkbike.

mtbr member
    Jan 2004

Don't...............

Don't go without bottle cage mounts! At the least They are handy for holding the battery if You use a headlight. I did My own crank mod. and it is Sooooo much work but people love them!

mtbr member
    Awesome post. Great pics. A very well thought out approach to building a bike.
    Vecsus

HTFU or STFU

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by Whafe
    Have followed the big wheel movement for a good many years, will say have not ever thought negative of it, because I had not tried it...
    Sorry to spoil that part for you Fenton; hopefully it just served to whet your appetite!

That bike is going to be unbelievable.
    A government big enough to give you everything you want is a government big enough to take from you everything you have.

mtbr member
    May 2007
    I hate you... enjoy the bike, comrade.

War machine member
    Nice choice on the hubs. I'm running Mango hubs and headset on my green CrossCheck. they really do set the bike off. Your build looks to be much cooler than mine though.

Poorly Disguised Poser

Congratulations!

This is very exciting. I would love to get a ride on one of those some time. Have fun with the build process, looks like you have done some homework, and know what you want.

I am intrigued by the hubs. I did not know that CKs now can be had with a regular disc mount on the rear SS hub....(mine have that silly adapter). I think you will like these hubs a lot...Mine have made me happy and are going through their 3rd wheel build now...and the only compliant I have is that silly adapter (which you do not have on yours).

I think your build is going to be a lot like what I would have picked (FWIW), but I would probably have elected to have the bottle mounts just in case....and a crud catcher is not a bad option to have either.

Keep us posted!
    My ego is bigger and better looking than yours.

mtbr member
    uugghhh, that's a dead cow. The dude is jumping over a dead cow. Hmmmm.

Nice bike/piece of art.

"Its All Good"
    Thank you for the comments

Unit, yes am pleased I got the new SS hub with the regular disk mount. I have no issues going back to CK, have always treated me well.

Surly Rider, cool to hear you are enjoying the Mango coloured hubs, in my travles have not actually seen the mango hubs in the flesh so to speak..

croscoe, no offense taken bro, still pinching myself to ensure this is not a freak dream. I am sure it will be HUGELY enjoyable...

miles e, nah bro, you spoiled nothing, you enhanced my excitement!

vecsus, thanks bro, keep safe over there, will head to see my sister reletively close to you shortly in Israel before heading back home to New Zealand to live

gearless, I hear you re bottle cages, have not used a bottle cage for so many moons on a mtb bike, do on my road bike of course, but far prefer to have stuff in my pack,

AL29er, go you Sultan of swing....
    The_Lecht_Rocks: whafe - cheeers - may i offer an official apology for the wagon wheeler "dis-belief"

ride ride ride ride ride
    hey man, don't hate the cow huck
    KHS FXT Trail - Marzocchi MX Pro

Redline Monocog 29er

mtbr member
    Is this the same Jeff Jones that was a pro skateboarder?
    What happens in Vegas....I brag about for years....

"Its All Good"
    Quote Originally Posted by power-san
    Is this the same Jeff Jones that was a pro skateboarder?
    Am not at all 100%, but have not seen anything or heard this, but who knows. Jeff for sure has a BMX background.....

Someone will for sure let us know, but pretty certain it is a no...

"Its All Good"
    Cant stop dreaming about this bike and the day it arrives, I am officially wanting for santa.....LOL

banned
    Congrats, Bro. The wait will be woth it. I remember waiting on my IndyFab with Jones H-bars and what I felt like when it finally got finished. Just like a kid at Christmas. I welcome you to the world of "BIG WHEELS"

"Its All Good"
    Quote Originally Posted by EDDIE JONES
    Congrats, Bro. The wait will be woth it. I remember waiting on my IndyFab with Jones H-bars and what I felt like when it finally got finished. Just like a kid at Christmas. I welcome you to the world of "BIG WHEELS"
    Yes, found a picture of your IndyFab on the big 29er picture thread today, very sexy indeed. I am waiting in ancipation myself.....

Thanks for the comments too, appreciated.....

May get a treat tomorrow from Jeff, he may have built my wheels.....

banned
    May get a treat tomorrow from Jeff, he may have built my wheels.....

I hate you.........NOT

"Its All Good"
    Well Eddie, will share the treat if he has, got to keep the thread alive until this baby arrives...........We love you though.....LOL

banned
    Man, that frame is an absolute work of art.....How many kidneys did you have to donate?

"Its All Good"
    Well its like this, I thank the powers at be, seeing as though I am at present an expat on an assignment based in Spain, it has enabled me to fufill this dream... I have had another dream that is more out there than this one. It came true too....

But yes it is expensive, but for me it is a oncer, this will be an item to give ones children...

Dealing with a true gentleman helps the cost too, and the fact he is a genuine gentleman is even better.... This dude has integrity, honesty and a good aura..................

pin 'er up
    Whafe, what a great write-up and sweet ride!! It's cool to see a post of someone's experience with the whole Jones/Merlin frame process, very nice!!
    Cheers,
    miSSionary
    Black Sheep...where it'ss at!!
    "I'm not known for my patience. Patience is a polite quality and often appropriate, but it rarely gets things done. Impatience, however, is the hunger for results and intolerance for excuses and delays." LA

"Its All Good"
    Quote Originally Posted by miSSionary
    Whafe, what a great write-up and sweet ride!! It's cool to see a post of someone's experience with the whole Jones/Merlin frame process, very nice!!
    Cheers,
    miSSionary
    Thank you, appreciate it..

This wait is so pleasing compared to some other horrible waits I have had.

I am totally comfortable with Merlin building the frame, have really had to get down off my high horse so to speak on that part. For me in the end it was my ego etc, so have said hey ego back off.

This bike will still be a Jones, Merlin have not been involved with any part in working with the customer, purely going to weld this bad girl....

Any way, I digress, dam easy to do with this bike....

if there is anyone reading this that has a Jones, please post a picture in here, helps with my stoke... Yeah ha...

Poorly Disguised Poser
    Quote Originally Posted by Whafe

This bike will still be a Jones, Merlin have not been involved with any part in working with the customer, purely going to weld this bad girl....
    Well, technically, aren't they cutting, mitering, and shaping the tubes also? Not that this is a bad thing (in fact, it probably is a great thing). Merlin probably has some serious tooling to do this work very precisely.

I know where you are coming from though, it will be a Jones, and one look will tell you that much!

Have you asked if there will there be a serial number on this frame when it is done? I have (trivially) wondered about that one. Can you go custom on that aspect?
    My ego is bigger and better looking than yours.

"Its All Good"
    Quote Originally Posted by unit
    Well, technically, aren't they cutting, mitering, and shaping the tubes also? Not that this is a bad thing (in fact, it probably is a great thing). Merlin probably has some serious tooling to do this work very precisely.

I know where you are coming from though, it will be a Jones, and one look will tell you that much!

Have you asked if there will there be a serial number on this frame when it is done? I have (trivially) wondered about that one. Can you go custom on that aspect?
    Mmmmm as usual unit, you bring up some good points..

Yeah you are right, indeed Merlin will be cutting and bending tubes etc etc.

Good question too on the Serial Number aspect, i will ask Jeff about that. Will get back with the answer........

Cheers
    Whafe

mtbr member
    Mar 2004
    whafe

look me up when you get back to NZ. I need to see this bike and kneel in front of it!

michael@paparoa.com

Page 1 of 6 1 2 3 4 5 ... LastLast