Page 1 of 4 1 2 3 4 LastLast
    mtbr member

Iron Horse at Walmart

Saw three models of Iron Horse 29er at Walmart just now. Two are full suspension. One is hardtail.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk. Typos and terseness are to be expected.

AZ
    banned
    See! I told you all the end of the world was coming. No one takes me seriously.

mtbr member
    Mar 2010
    I remember the last Walmart 29er thread. Gosh, I hope this one goes the same way!

Compelling, and rich.
    Quote Originally Posted by Jnthomps08 View Post
    I remember the last Walmart 29er thread. Gosh, I hope this one goes the same way!
    You mean the people who get mad at people making fun of department store bikes leave and make their own forums that are mainly based around bashing this forum and bashing people who buy expensive bikes?

Wee!

mtbr member
    Honestly, I was tempted to throw down for one. Mostly though, it is just interesting to see the wheel size hitting the mainstream.

The bike that really and truly tempts me is that single speed Thruster in yellow and red.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk. Typos and terseness are to be expected.

workin' it Administrator
    in three years we will see Chumba and Mountain Cycles there too. Just throwing that out there now, not that I have anything against these brands, just they are on the Iron Horse train it seems, and that ends up down the line parked with the Schwinn and Mongoose train.
    Try this: HTFU

AZ
    banned
    Quote Originally Posted by rockcrusher View Post
    in three years we will see Chumba and Mountain Cycles there too. Just throwing that out there now, not that I have anything against these brands, just they are on the Iron Horse train it seems, and that ends up down the line parked with the Schwinn and Mongoose train.

Add Vassago to that list.

tl1
    Bicyclist

Walmart would never...

Quote Originally Posted by AZ.MTNS View Post
    Add Vassago to that list.
    ...carry a bike line with "ass" anywhere in the name. For the children dontcha know.

Wino
    Iron Horse was snatched up by Dorel so this shouldn't be a surprise to anybody.
    Me. The chosen one. They chose me. And I didn't even graduate from fu**ing high school.

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by Gofannon View Post
    Iron Horse was snatched up by Dorel so this shouldn't be a surprise to anybody.
    Dorel has quite the name umbrella right now. Really sad how many civilians are fooled thinking they are buying a quality product from the original company.
    Disclaimer:I work in a Bike Shop.http://www.northcentralcyclery.com/

1/2 fast or 1/2 assed?
    OP, you get repped for admitting you were ,ummm, shopping for bikes a Walley World.
    I'm a ******bag in real life so I dont have to be one on the interwebz.

> /dev/null 2&>1
    Feb 2012
    Quote Originally Posted by CasteelG View Post
    You mean the people who get mad at people making fun of department store bikes leave and make their own forums that are mainly based around bashing this forum and bashing people who buy expensive bikes?

Wee!
    Well said - I can't figure out whether this is infinite wisdom, tautology or both

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by JonathanGennick View Post
    Saw three models of Iron Horse 29er at Walmart just now. Two are full suspension. One is hardtail.
    Pictures or links not all of us have a Wally world to visit to see such goodness

Downunder our version of Wally world is "Big W" where our 29er of choice is the Diamondback Overdrive29 74cm Mens Mountain Bike
    Duct tape iz like teh Force. It has a Lite side and a Dark side and it holdz the Universe together.

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by mitzikatzi View Post
    Pictures or links not all of us have a Wally world to visit to see such goodness
    Next time I will try and grab some photos. Honestly, I had thought about it yesterday, but was too embarrassed at the thought of wrestling one of the bikes off the display rack (they are the pull out racks in which the bikes tend to get tangled with each other), and then setting it up on the floor and shooting a photo, and then repeating three times. There is almost always a salesperson hovering around the bike aisle too.

mtbr member
    The Sinister 6.5 was the high-end model on display:

Sinister 6.5

Also present were the Sinister 6.3 and the Yakuza 5.1 hardtail:

Sinister 6.3
    Yakuza 5.1

I'm uncertain about rear suspension at that price, but the frames actually looked pretty decent.

AZ
    banned
    I love this quote,

"Step up to the pinnacle of performance with a Sinister 6.5."

I guess the "pinnacle of performance" includes 28mm fork stanchion tubes.

These bikes do have a place however small in the MTB scheme of things, if nothing else it may ignite the "passion" in someone who might otherwise never have the opportunity to give the sport a try. Flame away.
    Last edited by AZ; 04-05-2012 at 09:08 AM.

mtbr member
    Let me preface this by saying that I work at a large sporting goods chain as their bike tech so I've seen a few of these level of bikes.
    They are what they are... I don't think people are buying these thinking other wise (or I hope not anyways...)
    My concern is the the quality of assembly... I've come across some down right frightening builds in those situations....

I am the Tin Man!
    Quote Originally Posted by toddre View Post
    Let me preface this by saying that I work at a large sporting goods chain as their bike tech so I've seen a few of these level of bikes.
    They are what they are... I don't think people are buying these thinking other wise (or I hope not anyways...)
    My concern is the the quality of assembly... I've come across some down right frightening builds in those situations....
    My brother in law bought a wally world bike a few years ago, THE FORK WAS MOUNTED BACKWARDS.
    I chewed him out for buying it in the first place then spent about 30 min fixing and adjusting everything.
    Flying the HiFi...Clyde style.

SOMEBODY I LOVE NEEDS A HEART!

I AM AN ORGAN DONOR, ARE YOU?

Former Bike Wrench
    Geez...remember when Iron Horse had the DW-Link, and then was going to use the ICT (Ellsworth) system on their bikes? I actually had a DW-Link Iron Horse and it was a nice bike, shame they ended up where they are now.

Compelling, and rich.
    I think it's safe to say that any department store bike will need a full reassembly.

...And I think any sort of suspension at that price range is going to be more of a hindrance than help on the trail.
    Last edited by CasteelG; 04-05-2012 at 11:13 AM.

> /dev/null 2&>1
    Feb 2012
    Quote Originally Posted by JonathanGennick View Post
    The Sinister 6.5 was the high-end model on display:

Sinister 6.5

Also present were the Sinister 6.3 and the Yakuza 5.1 hardtail:

Sinister 6.3
    Yakuza 5.1

I'm uncertain about rear suspension at that price, but the frames actually looked pretty decent.
    That does indeed look pretty sinister

tl1
    Bicyclist

You mean the same Dorel

Quote Originally Posted by Hand/of/Midas View Post
    Dorel has quite the name umbrella right now. Really sad how many civilians are fooled thinking they are buying a quality product from the original company.
    ...that also owns Cannondale and other names?

Recreational/Leisure

In 2004, Dorel became one of the largest marketers of recreational products in North America with its acquisition of Pacific Cycle, a leader in the design, marketing and distribution of high quality branded bicycles and other recreational products. In February 2008, Dorel purchased the Cannondale Bicycle Company and SUGOI Performance Apparel, furthering its goal to become a preeminent global bicycle company.

The Recreational/Leisure segment comprises three distinct operating divisions: The Cycling Sports Group (CSG) division which deals specifically with the Independent Bicycle Dealers (IBD) channel; the Pacific Cycle division which deals with the mass merchant and sporting goods channel; and the Apparel Footwear Group (AFG) which incorporates the SUGOI, Cannondale, GT, Schwinn, IronHorse and Mongoose apparel lines.
    Dorel markets its Recreational/Leisure products under the Cannondale, Schwinn, GT, Mongoose, IronHorse, SUGOI, Pacific, Dyno, RoadMaster, PowerLite and InSTEP brand names. Please click on the logos below for more information on the products available under each brand.
    Dorel: Product Segments

mtbr member
    Mar 2012
    It is sad to see brands bought up, gutted and sold as crap at wal mart. But the majority of kids will be riding cheap bikes.

When I was a kid we didn't have much money and I got a Tektron brand bicycle from the PX. I loved the hell out of that thing and road it for years. In hindsight yes the brakes did fail on my once and I did ride directly into the side of moving car and went over the hood, but it was a memorable experience.

Harmonius Wrench
    "Available Sizes: Medium"

mtbr member
    The shop I am with dropped GT this year after carrying the brand for the last 10, basically since we opened.

Why? Because Dorel started supplying them to a bigbox sports retailer here in Canada (Sportchek.ca).

It was a sad decision for us as we had a a great relationship with the brand but as a small(ish) LBS we cannot compete with a bigbox when it comes to buying power (and consequently retail price).

We are watching Cannondale as well, and my gut feeling is not good..... boy I hope I'm wrong on that one though.

Page 1 of 4 1 2 3 4 LastLast