mtbr member

IRD Fire XC Pro tires?

I tried the search, but too many threads with no good information where popping up. I am looking for an inexpensive tire for the late fall/winter riding and to keep my Slant Six's good for next race season. Does anyone have ride time on the IRD Fire XC Pro's? These will be fore New England riding where there are lots of leaves, roots, rocks, damp spots, etc. Any other inexpensive tires to think about?

mtbr member
    Oct 2004
    I love them. They are my go-to winter xc tire. They are a large-ish 2.1. Significantly larger than than the 26er version. The knobs are spaced enough to prevent mud from packing them up too much, although I try and avoid "real" mud riding.

They last a long time, probably due to a relatively hard, unsophisticated tread compound that can be a little slippery on wet roots and rocks, but you don't get $90 Schwalbe Pacestar Triple Compound rubber for $35!

They work fine with tubes or set up tubeless. I have even heard that IRD and Panaracer unofficially endorse them for tubeless use.
    The drive towards achievement and success is the motive power of civilization.

mtbr member
    That was going to be another question about setting them up tubeless as they will be mounted on NoTubes Crest rims tubeless. Do they set up quick and easy with a floor pump?

mtbr member
    Oct 2004
    Quote Originally Posted by offrhodes42 View Post
    Do they set up quick and easy with a floor pump?
    No idea. I've got a compressor in my garage!
    The drive towards achievement and success is the motive power of civilization.

Missouri sucks...
    Jun 2009
    I've got a set I'll sell you dirt cheap. PM me if interested

Rohloff
    These are my go to tires for the rear and I ride them year round in Texas. They hook up well to Stan's rims. I too have a small compressor so I'm not sure about setting it with a hand pump. I really like them because they are tough and offer a lot of traction. The rubber compound is hard, so the tire wears well and the well spaced firm knobs bite into the soil and don't get squirmy on the rocks and roots. I'm pretty sure the tire would serve you well. It'll handle mud well but I'm not sure how it performs on wet rocks and roots.

Slave to the grind
    lovely cheap tires. just like the fire xc pros. wish they had colored sidewalls too lol. using them on a rear with a nice and comfy rampage up fron for my ss rigid ride.

ok all condition tire. like the fire xc pros though they are a little loud on the road.
    Let it flow, let yourself go, slow and low, that is the tempo.

Professional Crastinator
    The Fire XC 29ers are good tires.
    If the price is the same I would go with the Maxxis Ignitor, tho. (lighter, slightly grippier rubber)
    But the XC probably sheds mud a little better.

-F

OMR - Old Man Riding
    Been running mine on the Tallboy for the last year and half here in SoCal..very little wear on the front... a little more in the back. Great all around tires that seems to work in most conditions. Tried the Slant 6. Very fast but not good in loose. Going to remount the Fires again for this winter... we do get rain every once in a while here in SoCal! Running them tubeless on Stans Arches. Needed a compressor the first time.
    Older than Dirt!!!

mtbr member
    Nov 2012
    I'm planning to get a pairs of IRD Fire XC Pro 29er 2.1" Tires. Do you guys think these tires will work well on both hard and loose rocky trails?