Go make a difference

IRC Notos review

After expecting a nice, superdry, hardpack race course at the 12 hr Cowbell Classic this weekend in Charlotte, NC I was not at all excited when rain made an appearance on Friday night. I've not seen many reviews on the IRC Notos and since it's been so dry in GA this year, I've not been able to test these things in the mud. Well, after steady rain overnight, the course was soaked and slick! My friends were all excited that they'd get to see me falling all over myself on the first laps of the race. Needless to say, having personal knowledge of how slippery this course (and all red clay) is when wet, I was not excited at all about the wet course.

I knew the course would drain well so I felt that I'd be okay by about my 3rd lap. To my surprise, the Notos tires gripped incredibly well -- on the muddy turns and the roots. Some of it was definitely the aid of a 29er wheel on the roots becuase I know I've hit those same roots the same way two years ago and ended up on my face The course did drain and became superbly tacky and grippy

It may not be an ExiWolf, which I know most folks here can't live without, but I'll tell you it's been a great tire for me thus far and I'd recommend it in the South, on hardpack, rocky, or otherwise what we all consider "perfect" tacky trails
    Charles Myrick
    33North Adventures | Owner
    Bike | Climb | Hike | Paddle
    New trips: Tibet & Bosnia!

mtbr member
    Mar 2005
    This is my rear tire of choice. I run Exi as a front and the Notos as rear on my 2 29ers.

www.badgercycles.com
    Noto's front and rear for me. Love em!

EPO
    Training in Mexico
    Look at any of the Factor Trek riders, and see what they are riding...Notos... since 98...and for good reason.

They are the best all rounder in my book, fast and sure steady in dry to loamy conditions. They clear mud great. Sandy, gravel conditions are this tire's down fall, due to it having no paddle features and lack of width. But what fast race tire really excels in those conditions anyway?

The side knobs will surprize you, hooking up very well. I used to run these exclusively on my 26er days, I would made the best cornering slicks out of them by shaving down the center section with a belt sander. My simillary modified ACXs don't come close in cornering ability. If you corner in the wooded single track like a salom coarse, and angluate, these tires shine.

Too bad we don't have the Mibro in 29er size they look to have the same charateristics.

EPO
    Last edited by EPO; 06-27-2006 at 09:28 AM.

POG
    Pudgy Old Guy
    May 2004

Notos...

are no longer being made, correct?

EPO
    Training in Mexico
    I think they are still being produced, the NOTOS are still on the IRC website.

I bought a wire bead set at Na$bar two weeks ago, for ~$25/itire
    Last edited by EPO; 06-30-2006 at 07:09 AM.

POG
    Pudgy Old Guy
    May 2004

Thanks...

Quote Originally Posted by EPO
    I think the are still being produced, NOTOS are still on the IRC website.

I bought a wire bead set at Na$bar two week ago for ~$25
    I'm glad to hear that. Probably my all around favorite 29er tire.

Go make a difference
    I'm liable to pick up another pair just to have as a backup, but since they're the first 29er tires I've had, I'm about to order some Klaws to give them a whirl.
    Charles Myrick
    33North Adventures | Owner
    Bike | Climb | Hike | Paddle
    New trips: Tibet & Bosnia!

No good in rock gardens..
    I had some of these in 26X1.9 on a Mongoose hardtail I got a few years back. I had little faith, and wanted to swap them at the shop but as usual they had bugger all to offer.

So I kept them and was pleasantly surprised how good they gripped over rocky hardpack, for a fast style of tyre. I'd like to try a set in 2.1
    My Cannondale Lefty keeps failing....

mtbr member
    Mar 2004
    I emailed irc recently about availability of the 29er notos. He assured me they are still in production and there was no plan to discontinue this tire in the 29er version. The 26" is already discontinued though.

As a side note, these are my favourite tires front and rear for all conditions here in northern Ontario.

Jason