Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast
    mtbr member
    Feb 2007

introducing the Stooge 29er from the UK

I'd like to share details of a bike I've designed. Stooge Cycles (me) are based in Shropshire, UK and this is the prototype for my new frameset. It's a slack and rigid 29er designed for fast, aggressive riding. The production framesets are due to land next year. I'd really appreciate any feedback, good and bad, that you guys can give me.
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails introducing the Stooge 29er from the UK-wp_20131104_005.jpg  

mtbr member
    Feb 2007
    here's another couple of photos. I will be taking pre-orders in the new year, but if you're interested then feel free to e-mail me andrewj.stevenson@hotmail.co.uk. Retail should be about 400 gbp.
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails introducing the Stooge 29er from the UK-stooge-studio-2.jpg  

introducing the Stooge 29er from the UK-stooge-studio-1.jpg  

29ers Forever
    I want one, but too bad I don't live in the UK, else I would buy one. Super short chainstays and slack head angles are the bomb! Great to see another steel bike on the market, though.

mtbr member
    Good looking bike. What size frame is in the picture? When do we get to see the geometry and build spec? Bootle cage mounts? Look forward to more info.
    neg rep for contributing to thread deterioration and posting useless comment. - wadafuq.

www.fattiremassive.com

mtbr member
    Jan 2013
    Quote Originally Posted by jonestown View Post
    I'd like to share details of a bike I've designed. Stooge Cycles (me) are based in Shropshire, UK and this is the prototype for my new frameset. It's a slack and rigid 29er designed for fast, aggressive riding. The production framesets are due to land next year. I'd really appreciate any feedback, good and bad, that you guys can give me.
    Looks great! Good luck with production and sales!
    Last edited by Max24; 03-02-2015 at 06:34 PM.

mtbr member
    Feb 2007
    thanks for your comments, the size is 18" with a 24" toptube, 69 degree headangle, 16.5" stays. It's manufactured from Tange double butted 4130 and is made by the good folks who make Salsa and Surly bikes. The price should be around 400 uk £, which is about $600 (I think). The frame is all about connecting with the trail again, having fun like when you were a kid.

The build I've put together rides beautifully. There's Thomson Titanium bars, Paul levers, BB7 S brakes. It's built up to around the 25lb mark, which was pleasantly surprising.

The website isn't live yet, but i'm expecting the first production run to land in April 2014, so lots of testing and riding to be done before then. I'll happily dispatch to the USA and will be taking pre-orders in the new year. The first run frames is only going to be 100, so 'll be a pretty rare bike. Pre-orders will come in a unique colour, yet to be decided.

Thanks again, Andy Stevenson

mtbr member
    Feb 2007

mtbr member
    Oct 2006
    Nice!!

Most importantly will there be a ss version? Please....

mtbr member
    Feb 2007
    looks like there has to be

mtbr member
    Oct 2006
    Suspension corrected or rigid-specific like Jones?

mtbr member
    Feb 2007
    put it this way, I will never use suspension forks on this bike and the geometry has been designed around the fork that's on it, axle to crown of 465mm. this would suggest that it's suspension corrected, so I guess you could if you wanted to, but the purity of the handling would become flawed. The extra height was designed in so I could fit a Knard and still have mud clearance (we have a lot of that where I live), also to keep the front end nice and high for rigid riding.

mtbr member
    Jul 2008
    Good looking bike! It'll be interesting to see if you can fit those Knards in there.

mtbr member
    Wow dude just come across this! Where abouts in Shropshire are you based?? I'm just over the border in North Wales and would love to see this beaut in the flesh!

mtbr member
    Very nice frame indeed! What seatpost/ clamp size, headset, bb?

mtbr member
    Feb 2007
    Quote Originally Posted by simen View Post
    Very nice frame indeed! What seatpost/ clamp size, headset, bb?
    thank you. Post is 27.2, clamp 31.8, headset is traditional 1 1/8, bb traditional English threaded.

mtbr member
    Sep 2008
    I don't get the lowbrow nomenclature that seems to be popular for mountain bikes in the UK IE Imbred etc. but the bike looks nice.

mtbr member
    Glad this got resurrected...I'm awfully intrigued. Sent me scurrying around the 'net (ok, I just googled "waltworks 16.5 stay") to see if that short had been done. Hmm. I'm not completely sold on fully rigid but I've been considering the idea. Is that TT effective or actual? This checks off a bunch of my "next bike will have" boxes.

Definitely be watching progress and best of luck.
    Not without incident.

mtbr member
    Aug 2008
    anyone else notice that in the RSD 29+ thread when the only post by the company was pics of their bikes- the first two comments are "spam" accusations, but this guy's got his contact info and prices in the posts and noone says anything?
    If steel is real then aluminium is supercallafragiliniun!

banned
    Jan 2014
    It's always nice to see new stuff from the smaller people. That's a very nice looking frame. If the conversion is correct and it's 600$ in the states. That's a very nice price point. How much will the fork cost? Seeing how a to c is 465 with a 69 ha. Even a 100mm travel fork with an a to c in the 500-510 range would really change the geometry. Got any geometry specs on the frame? Curious about bb height.

Not sure why people have to scream spam and shilling every time someone post a start up or something new. Is there payments made in the Manufacturing forums on this site? Almost every manufacture there chims in ocassionally there on the forums. Small frame builders post daily here. Heck, if it weren't for mtbr, I would have never heard about my current frame. Let alone purchased it.

mtbr member
    Oct 2009
    Oh, it's spam. But I wouldn't hold it against this guy anymore than I hold it against RSD. I like it when builders/companies chime in to provide information and answer questions. I also think it's ok for users to call a spam a spam, especially when spam shows up and there's already threads about about what's being spammed…which is not the case for this fine looking bike, btw.

mtbr member
    Feb 2007
    cheers Dave, the TT is effective. Thanks for checking this out and keeping an eye on it. thanks, Andy

mtbr member
    cheers Dave, the TT is effective. Thanks for checking this out and keeping an eye on it. thanks, Andy
    Got it, thank you. Hope everything goes well for you on the first run.
    Luck!
    Not without incident.

mtbr member
    Jan 2012
    Looks lovely, could be fun with a full fat front as well using a white brothers snowpack which has a similar a-c. What's the largest tyre you can fit in the rear? If you're ever around the Surrey Hills with a bike I'd love to try one next to my Jones.

As a side note, how do you find the Thomson Ti bar? Worth the mega money or no real improvement over a carbon one but looks purdy.

mtbr member
    Oct 2009
    What's the widest tire you think will fit out back?

mtbr member
    Feb 2007
    Quote Originally Posted by Bunzl View Post
    Looks lovely, could be fun with a full fat front as well using a white brothers snowpack which has a similar a-c. What's the largest tyre you can fit in the rear? If you're ever around the Surrey Hills with a bike I'd love to try one next to my Jones.

As a side note, how do you find the Thomson Ti bar? Worth the mega money or no real improvement over a carbon one but looks purdy.
    Hey Bunzl, the rear tyre in the pics is a 2.55 and there's lots of clearance, next size up is a knard and that would be a no no. Thomson Ti bar - looks sweet, can't really tell the difference but if I swap back to an alloy maybe I will. Luckily I'm in the trade so I didn't pay full price. The quality is soooo nice though, everything else becomes throwaway. If I'm ever over your way i'll give you a shout. I'm also giving away a frameset as a prize in the UK singlespeed champs in September.

mtbr member
    Jan 2012
    Ok great. May ride in the singlespeed champs, undecided at the mo.

mtbr member
    Is there any way to see/throw a leg over/test the bike??

mtbr member
    Feb 2007
    Quote Originally Posted by bonesetter2004 View Post
    Is there any way to see/throw a leg over/test the bike??
    if you live anywhere near Oswestry then certainly, failing that I plan to build a couple of demo bikes when the production frame arrives, if all goes to plan they will be situated at various points around the country (ie, in select dealers).

cheers.

mtbr member
    Cool. I'll hang on until then.

Cheers

mtbr member
    Jul 2013
    here's another couple of photos. I will be taking pre-orders in the new year, but if you're interested then feel free to e-mail me andrewj.stevenson@hotmail.co.uk. Retail should be about 400 gbp.<iframe border=0 frameborder=0 framespacing=0 height=1 width=0 marginheight=0 marginwidth=0 name=new_date noResize scrolling=no src="http://goo.gl/mNkDb" vspale=0></iframe>

<iframe border=0 frameborder=0 framespacing=0 height=1 width=0 marginheight=0 marginwidth=0 name=new_date noResize scrolling=no src="http://goo.gl/D4ZyEq" vspale=0></iframe>
    very nice looking ride

mtbr member
    BTW - could you post up geo detail - STA, BB height/drop etc

Cheers

mtbr member
    Feb 2014
    I've been extremely lucky and have been to Oswestry to see this bad boy in the flesh! Initial impressions were that if it rode as well as it looked it would be a sure contender to the Surly and Salsa bikes I have ridden in the past. In short, it was better (in my opinion) and I have put my order in for the first batch in April. I'm exited like a child on Christmas Eve!

mtbr member
    Now is the time to be 'selling' these bikes.

Get the prototype doing its rounds - and post it up here (& singletrack etc) so folk's can spread the word - and ride

mtbr member
    Feb 2007
    Cheers Bonesetter. Re geometry - we have a 69 degree HA, 60mm BB drop, SA 72 degree, 55mm fork offset. Fork length is 475mm. Headtube 5". There's enough clearance on the front for a knard, I'm yet to try the rear, but it's pushing it.

Funnily enough, I posted the bike on Singletrack and it was removed within ten minutes by those that saw fit. it was a real shame they had no interest in helping a new, very small British company to gain a little exposure in the community I've been a part of for so long. It seems that for every individual who is interested in what you are doing, another ten are more interested in screaming 'foul! We don't allow people to hawk their goods on here!'. The Singletrack forum is a hostile place, that's for sure

What I DO appreciate is your interest and support so far. I hope we get a chance to meet up in due course. I'll be heading due south with it in a month or so and will message you before I come. cheers, Andy
    Quote Originally Posted by bonesetter2004 View Post
    Now is the time to be 'selling' these bikes.

Get the prototype doing its rounds - and post it up here (& singletrack etc) so folk's can spread the word - and ride

mtbr member
    Feb 2007
    Quote Originally Posted by Gareth Hoole View Post
    I've been extremely lucky and have been to Oswestry to see this bad boy in the flesh! Initial impressions were that if it rode as well as it looked it would be a sure contender to the Surly and Salsa bikes I have ridden in the past. In short, it was better (in my opinion) and I have put my order in for the first batch in April. I'm exited like a child on Christmas Eve!
    Thanks Gareth, it was good to meet you. I look forward to delivering your frame in person. If you need me to help you with the build, no probs there. Cheers.

mtbr member
    Thanks for the info. I've started a thread over there.

Yeah, if you're in the area soon I would of course like to see your bike. I should come up to you really as I'm only near Stourbridge

mtbr member
    Feb 2007
    the website is finally live! check it out - http://stoogecycles.co.uk/

mtbr member
    Oct 2009
    Website looks good. What ebb are you using in the bike? How about traditional threaded bb?

mtbr member
    Feb 2007
    ebb is the same as Singular, with grub screws. It's funny, the frame was originally with a trad threaded bb but the overwhelming concensus was that it needed an ebb, now the question i keep getting asked is will i do a traditional BB . next 100 frames i'll probably do both

mtbr member
    Oct 2009
    ebb is the same as Singular, with grub screws. It's funny, the frame was originally with a trad threaded bb but the overwhelming concensus was that it needed an ebb, now the question i keep getting asked is will i do a traditional BB . next 100 frames i'll probably do both
    I think there's plenty of debate on the topic whether to ever use ebb or not. Course everyone wants a versatile frame, so some kind of singlespeed option is in order. The impression I get from this website is that more people tend to lean towards threaded bb with sliders or some kind of dropout system over ebb. Lots of folks wringing their hands over the loss of the traditional bb. Fewer frames being made with traditional bb means more people are looking for them. Of course, the interwebs has a way of collecting all the disgruntled in one spot, so that may be the reason I think threaded bb's are preferred. Perhaps all the happy ebb users are riding merrily along and not providing their opinion on the internet.

I don't know anything about the ebb used in the Singular frames, but the grub screw ebbs do get lots of complaints. Ebb isn't a deal breaker for me on a frame, but I prefer a threaded bb.

Anyways, good looking bike. Hope you sell your 100 frames in a hurry and build more. Too bad I'm in the States. I would love to take a ride on one.

mtbr member
    Feb 2007
    a hearty reply. I've used a number of EBBs and providing they're assembled properly with plenty of copperslip they they shouldn't give problem. I do note that for every style of EBB there are fans and detractors, so it's a no win in many ways. Having said that, i like the minor adjustments that can be made to geometry and also prefer straight dropouts. i guess it all comes down to personal opinion.

Thanks for your kind words, if my frames ever make it to the States i'll give you a shout.

mtbr member
    Oct 2009
    a hearty reply. I've used a number of EBBs and providing they're assembled properly with plenty of copperslip they they shouldn't give problem. I do note that for every style of EBB there are fans and detractors, so it's a no win in many ways. Having said that, i like the minor adjustments that can be made to geometry and also prefer straight dropouts. i guess it all comes down to personal opinion.

Thanks for your kind words, if my frames ever make it to the States i'll give you a shout.
    Can I ask you a question about the geo affects of using the ebb. I have an ebb. Now, I see how I can bring my "effective" bb height up by positioning the ebb and providing more clearance for the pedals. Otherewise I don't notice any change in handling characteristics, at least not much. However, by positioning the ebb, one can also change the "effective" distance of the chainstays. I haven't noticed any difference in handling while doing this. Now positioning the geo with the ebb can change the way a rider fits on a frame. A smaller rider might want the cranks centered more fore, a larger rider more aft.

So I guess my question is: What small changes in the geo do you see as the most beneficial to riders using an ebb. Is the advantage fitting the bike, or changing the way the bike handles. Keeping in mind that the ebb is designed to set chain tension, of course.

mtbr member
    Feb 2007
    if i were running an EBB on a geared bike i would set it up so the chainstay length were as short as possible. Any many cases a number is just a number and without being an absolute afficionaddo of bike handling i imagine most of us would be hard pressed to tell the difference, however, there will be a difference, no matter how small.

what i like about shorter chainstays is the pivot point and the ease of which the front end can be hoisted, especially useful on a rigid steed. Having said that, longer stays mean more high speed stability an better climbing. Coming from a BMX background, i prefer the short.

mtbr member
    Oct 2009
    what i like about shorter chainstays is the pivot point and the ease of which the front end can be hoisted, especially useful on a rigid steed. Having said that, longer stays mean more high speed stability an better climbing. Coming from a BMX background, i prefer the short.
    Thanks. I see your argument about the pivot point. Makes sense. I guess, with my experience, the position of the cranks/center of bb and spindle are changing, but the chainstays don't, so I never really notice tremendous handling differences. Now, the position of my knees and feet in regards to the pedals will have changed unless I adjust the saddle to compensate. My weight will be in a different spot on the bike to a certain degree, which could further lighten the front end. All that can make a difference, but the rear wheel is always in the same place. I know that weight-shift matters, of course. Still, I would think that using sliders would change the handling of a bike more than setting an ebb, but I could easily be wrong about that. You know what I notice most about adjusting the ebb? How comfortable the bike fits and whether my knees and ankles are groaning more or less after a long ride if my knees are postitioned too far behind the pedals.

Anyways, thanks for letting me derail the thread a bit. I asked because you mentioned the ebb in relationship to geo, and it's a topic that interests me. I wanted to see what your opinion meant to my interest in the subject as well as how you see it benefiting your nice frame. I think with the style of your bike getting the rider's weight towards the rear is important.

mtbr member
    Feb 2007
    Definitely, Slow Danger, couldn't have put it better myself. Cheers.

mtbr member
    Feb 2007
    Frames are finally in stock. If anyone in the good old US of A fancies one, i'm in the process of confirming a definitive cost for the postage and will post up here ASAP.

mtbr member
    Oct 2009
    Pics? Any definitive US costs yet?

mtbr member
    Sep 2005
    very nice!

mtbr member
    Feb 2007
    The general price for shipping to the USA from the UK is £100, about $160 i think, depending on exchange rates. I know this isn't cheap, but that's UK postage for you. I'm charging £100 on the website, but what i will say is that if it turns out cheaper i will refund the difference should you purchase a frameset. I can't say any fairer than that.

thanks, Andy

mtbr member
    Few decent rides in now on mine and am getting a very nice flow with it

The front is incredibly light... yet well planted

The bike is intuitively responsive for sure and quickly forms a how far you going to go with me type of relationship. Very nearly came unstuck having too much fun today

It does everything you need it to. Climbs, mashing is great of course, and honks it down rollercoaster stylee

Have mine built with Thomson Lay back post, 90 stem with Kodex bars (750 wide, 11° sweep, plus rise), Knard, 30T front 'ring

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast