Quote Originally Posted by Ant-Eater View Post
    I can't get enough of this bike. Posted my review of it today:
    Carver Gnarvester Review

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	6K2A4597-565x376.jpg 
Views:	119 
Size:	114.2 KB 
ID:	898697
    Hey, I'm the person that just commented on your post on the MTBVT post about the Vassago bikes. Did you order the PMW sliders separately from the bike? I think Carver supplies off-brand sliders with the bike right? Any compatibility issues? Can you slide the axle forward more and clear the frame? I know Dickey had an issue with a shimano 12x142 slider hitting the frame mount and preventing moving the axle all the way forward.

web-footed pedaler
    Aug 2011
    The sliders are what Carver ships with the frame. I'm not sure if they're genuine Paragon slider or not, but I'll take a look later to find out. So far, it has been trouble-free. I haven't given them another thought since initially setting up the bike. I'm using quick release hubs, so I can't comment on the 142mm compatibility. According to Carver's site you can use just about any axle combination with the rear end of the frame. I could definitely move the dropouts further forward with my current setup but haven't felt the need to mess with it.

Quote Originally Posted by Coloradoxj13 View Post
    Hey, I'm the person that just commented on your post on the MTBVT post about the Vassago bikes. Did you order the PMW sliders separately from the bike? I think Carver supplies off-brand sliders with the bike right? Any compatibility issues? Can you slide the axle forward more and clear the frame? I know Dickey had an issue with a shimano 12x142 slider hitting the frame mount and preventing moving the axle all the way forward.

mtbr member
    Nice review Ant-Eater. I agree with everything you wrote in there except one thing. There is definitely some flex in the bottom bracket area, mostly because of the plate I think. I notice it when I'm stopped and looking for it, but not at all while riding, so it does not affect the ride at all for me. The best word to describe this bike is: FUN!

Coloradoxj13: I am pretty sure all Carver's use Paragon sliders now, and the Gnarvester has always used them. Years ago they used some other sliders (I have an older 29er frame with those sliders). I'm not sure when they changed though.

Also, Dickey had a Ti 420, not a Gnarvester.

I am also using the QR sliders, so can't comment on the 12x142 ones.

web-footed pedaler
    Aug 2011
    There may be some flex, but I haven't noticed it myself. I've ridden ti bikes where I could get the crank arms to rub the chain stays from the flex. The Carver is a pretty big improvement from that perspective.

Agreed, FUN is definitely the word that comes to mind. I had to go back and edit the article to remove my overuse of that word.

Quote Originally Posted by bikeny View Post
    Nice review Ant-Eater. I agree with everything you wrote in there except one thing. There is definitely some flex in the bottom bracket area, mostly because of the plate I think. I notice it when I'm stopped and looking for it, but not at all while riding, so it does not affect the ride at all for me. The best word to describe this bike is: FUN!

Coloradoxj13: I am pretty sure all Carver's use Paragon sliders now, and the Gnarvester has always used them. Years ago they used some other sliders (I have an older 29er frame with those sliders). I'm not sure when they changed though.

Also, Dickey had a Ti 420, not a Gnarvester.

I am also using the QR sliders, so can't comment on the 12x142 ones.

mtbr member
    Sep 2009
    There may be some flex, but I haven't noticed it myself. I've ridden ti bikes where I could get the crank arms to rub the chain stays from the flex. The Carver is a pretty big improvement from that perspective.

Agreed, FUN is definitely the word that comes to mind. I had to go back and edit the article to remove my overuse of that word.
    So how would you compare the ride of the Gnarvester to your experience on Vassago's? I'm trying to figure out how to decide between the Gnarvester and the 29+ VerHauen...

mtbr member
    Aug 2011
    Trevorrr,

Can you tell me more about the crankset and bottom bracket set up on your Gnarvester?
    I am jumping on the bandwagon, just got my Gnarvester.

Thanks man.

mtbr member
    Aug 2011
    Need help guys, I just got my Gnarvester and I would like to use SRAM X0, what bottom bracket do I need?

web-footed pedaler
    Aug 2011
    Quote Originally Posted by neilyo537 View Post
    Need help guys, I just got my Gnarvester and I would like to use SRAM X0, what bottom bracket do I need?
    It's a regular 73mm bb shell, so most cranks will work, nothing special needed. Mine is setup with a Raceface single-speed crank using a narrow-wide chainring for the 1x10 setup.

mtbr member
    Just get the XO GXP crankset and install according to instructions. The Gnarvester has a normal 73mm threaded BB shell, and if I recall, that means you do not use the BB spacers that come with the setup.

I am running an SRAM X9 crankset with a directmount chainring. I'm not sure if the XO is the same, but my X9 crankset came with the bottom bracket. Just make sure you get the GXP version and not the BB30.

mtbr member
    Aug 2011
    Thanks Ant-Eater and bikeny. I can't wait to get my Gnarvester goin.

All the best.

mtbr member
    The Gnarvester has been my go to bike since I built it up, I can't get enough of it. So far I've done two 100 mile races on it, the Cohutta 100 and the Mohican 100 last weekend, while not quite as fast as my other bike, the Gnarvester gets way more smiles per mile!

Introducing the Carver Gnarvester!-carver3.jpg

Introducing the Carver Gnarvester!-cohutta.jpg

web-footed pedaler
    Aug 2011
    Quote Originally Posted by santacruzer View Post
    ... the Gnarvester gets way more smiles per mile!
    That's the point, isn't it?

BTW, That fork looks great.

Quote Originally Posted by santacruzer View Post
    Click image for larger version. 

Name:	cohutta.jpg 
Views:	151 
Size:	308.3 KB 
ID:	899152

web-footed pedaler
    Aug 2011
    We need to see some photos when you're done.

Thanks Ant-Eater and bikeny. I can't wait to get my Gnarvester goin.

All the best.

mtbr member
    That's the point, isn't it?

BTW, That fork looks great.
    It is a very nice looking bike. Mark, maybe I can throw my leg over yours when I come up to ride next weekend?

mtbr member
    Aug 2011
    Of course. Thanks again.

mtbr member

Introducing the Carver Gnarvester!

Trevorrr,

Can you tell me more about the crankset and bottom bracket set up on your Gnarvester?
    I am jumping on the bandwagon, just got my Gnarvester.

Thanks man.
    Sorry - I don't have one of these beasts (yet).

get down!
    Is anyone experiencing creaking with their Gnarvester?
    Rudy Projects look ridiculous

visit my blog, BEATS, BIKES & LIFE

web-footed pedaler
    Aug 2011
    Quote Originally Posted by appleSSeed View Post
    Is anyone experiencing creaking with their Gnarvester?
    The only creaking I've had with this bike was caused by the seatpost. Pulled the Thomson post and put in a generic aluminum and the noise went away. Apparently, Thomson Elite posts can be a problem with noise and slipping. I don't think there's anything inherent in the frame that creates noise.

HTFU!
    If you are having creaking seatpost creaking issues I highly suggest you contact carver and let him know. I had a Thomson Masterpiece seatpost that never creaked in my Niner, but was squeaking like crazy in my Gnarvester...he ended up giving me an *unbelievable* deal on a Ti post that completely solved my creaking issue. Oh, and of course it looks sweet with the Ti frame and bar.

mtbr member
    Aug 2011
    How can I post photos? I would like to show my Gnar.

HTFU!
    A couple different ways, but how I do it is...
    Click on "Go Advanced" under the message box. Scroll your mouse over the links and click on the one that shows "Insert Image". From there you should be able to navigate pulling one off your computer or URL.
    Let's see your Gnarvester!

meh... whatever
    Quote Originally Posted by S.O.B. View Post
    If you are having creaking seatpost creaking issues I highly suggest you contact carver and let him know. I had a Thomson Masterpiece seatpost that never creaked in my Niner, but was squeaking like crazy in my Gnarvester...he ended up giving me an *unbelievable* deal on a Ti post that completely solved my creaking issue. Oh, and of course it looks sweet with the Ti frame and bar.
    +1 on that. davis is a jedi master in the long lost art of customer service.
    "Knowledge is good." ~ Emil Faber

web-footed pedaler
    Aug 2011
    Quote Originally Posted by S.O.B. View Post
    ...he ended up giving me an *unbelievable* deal on a Ti post that completely solved my creaking issue. Oh, and of course it looks sweet with the Ti frame and bar.
    I contacted Carver/Bikeman and got one of those seat posts myself. Quiet bliss...
    and yes, the deal was unbelievable.

mtbr member
    Sep 2005
    Any news on the alloy version?

Page 4 of 9 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 ... LastLast