Page 3 of 7 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 LastLast
    HTFU!
    Bumping this thread. Went from 2.25's, to a 2.35 front to a 2.35 front/rear. Every time I go bigger in the tires, I am happier (and faster). So when the Krampus came out, I knew it was only a matter of time before a lighter frame would show up. Funny, I would have bet Niner would have been all over this (as clearly their name keeps them out of the 650B market...and maybe they eventually will be) but instead it is Carver (and others). Yep, this might be 'The One'. Finally getting close to pulling the trigger. Just curious if there are any more reviews of the Gnarvester now that they have been out a bit longer.

mtbr member
    Mar 2013

Re: Introducing the Carver Gnarvester!

Sent from my SM-N900V using Tapatalk

mtbr member
    Mar 2013
    It's belt drive compatible with a bolt-together rear chainsaw already built in.

Sent from my SM-N900V using Tapatalk

HTFU!
    Nice.
    I am trying to be patient. I have exchanged some emails with Carver, but thus far, the only items I have purchased for the new build are some DT Swiss 240 hubs and a CC 40 headset. Have not yet committed to rims, though I definitely want to go tubeless. Planing on 120tpi knards on Chinese Carbon 35mm (maybe Derby's), V.Blunts, or maybe waiting for the Stans wider rims...but I am likely too impatient for that.

bikeny, curious as to why you went with the 490 fork instead of the 470?
    Also, any issues with shoes rubbing the lower chain stays?

mtbr member
    May 2005
    I lOVE my Gnarvester!!!
    Perfect number of bikes (n) + 1

HTFU!
    O.k., I was going to wait until next month, but decided to pull the trigger on a 17" frame and fork today. Glad I did as I was told they had recently sold out of the 18" and 19".
    Gonna swap over most of the parts from my One9 and then decide later if I want to run this or my SIR9 as a SS (the other gets an old 1x9 setup).

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by S.O.B. View Post
    Nice.
    I am trying to be patient. I have exchanged some emails with Carver, but thus far, the only items I have purchased for the new build are some DT Swiss 240 hubs and a CC 40 headset. Have not yet committed to rims, though I definitely want to go tubeless. Planing on 120tpi knards on Chinese Carbon 35mm (maybe Derby's), V.Blunts, or maybe waiting for the Stans wider rims...but I am likely too impatient for that.

bikeny, curious as to why you went with the 490 fork instead of the 470?
    Also, any issues with shoes rubbing the lower chain stays?
    I went with the 490 fork because that's what Davis Carver suggested. I really like the slack HTA and the way it rides with this fork. I am also waiting patiently for the Stan's rims, should make tubeless much easier and lighten up the ride by quite a bit.

American Made!
    Bumping this thread. Went from 2.25's, to a 2.35 front to a 2.35 front/rear. Every time I go bigger in the tires, I am happier (and faster). So when the Krampus came out, I knew it was only a matter of time before a lighter frame would show up. Funny, I would have bet Niner would have been all over this (as clearly their name keeps them out of the 650B market...and maybe they eventually will be) but instead it is Carver (and others). Yep, this might be 'The One'. Finally getting close to pulling the trigger. Just curious if there are any more reviews of the Gnarvester now that they have been out a bit longer.
    Love mine and glad you pulled the trigger, you will not be disappointed!
    Only bummer about the bike is I don't ride it enough, I need to trim the stable....

Here was my link:
    This could be the one....
    What is thy bidding, my master.

HTFU!
    Quote Originally Posted by bikeny View Post
    I went with the 490 fork because that's what Davis Carver suggested. I really like the slack HTA and the way it rides with this fork. I am also waiting patiently for the Stan's rims, should make tubeless much easier and lighten up the ride by quite a bit.
    Ah, got it. I am sure I will be happy with the 470 as it will keep the geometry of the bike closer to what I am use to. As for rims, I decided on the 35mm carbon offering from L-B laced to 240's. I have read how people are using Flows with no problem... seems too narrow to me but after doing some fuzzy math I determined it was only fractionally different than using 2.4 (& 2.35) Schwalbes on Crest rims over the past few years. Still, no denying wider is better in this instance.

Quote Originally Posted by 1x1clyde View Post
    Love mine and glad you pulled the trigger, you will not be disappointed!
    Only bummer about the bike is I don't ride it enough, I need to trim the stable....

Here was my link:
    This could be the one....
    Oh I've read your thread, and every other thread, blog or posting that is available with a google and bing search of gnarvester, knards, 35mm carbon tubeless and much more. Plus I like looking at the pics and getting ideas of how I want to set mine up. I'm not a 'bling' guy so the fanciest I will get is maybe white spokes and maybe a white saddle. The rest will be silver/ti or black. I decided against using my niner fork as it is 1 1/8...think I'll just leave the existing crownrace on there so I can switch out the fork on the SIR9 if I decide to go that route in the future... or I will sell it.

Thank you both for starting your threads... made my decision a whole lot easier.

American Made!
    A little 29er plus love via my Gnravester
    local loop before heading into work yesterday morning
    enjoy!

https://vimeo.com/87286086

HTFU!
    Nice, but more pics/vid of the whole bike!!! Sad to admit I watched the entire thing hoping to see the entire bike and the closest I got was the the bike's shadow.

American Made!
    Nice, but more pics/vid of the whole bike!!! Sad to admit I watched the entire thing hoping to see the entire bike and the closest I got was the the bike's shadow.
    Sorry my man lol!
    I thought it was kind of a cool angle, especially with the big ole tire

Next up I am going to follow a buddy and get the same "angle" but I will be behind him!

American Made!
    Some am rides this week on the Gnarvester ala uno gearo

Introducing the Carver Gnarvester!-tikrampus-beeks.jpg

Introducing the Carver Gnarvester!-tikrampus-oaks.jpg

Introducing the Carver Gnarvester!-tikrampus-whiting.jpg

so much fun and kinda brutal as a single speed. Running 32x19 here in socal and I think its time to get a 20t on!

mtbr member
    Aug 2011
    dude this is a great bike, help me understand, is this the 490 carver trail fork before they threw the through axle 15mm on it? i ordered one last night and i am really anxious. lol. there is literally nothing on this fork on the internet. i am confident that the fork will hold up to the abuse that i am about to unleash on it, but if u could just tell me about this fork and your experiences with it, ie: biggest crash jump drop or what have you, that would be soo so so appreciated.

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by Radioinactive View Post
    dude this is a great bike, help me understand, is this the 490 carver trail fork before they threw the through axle 15mm on it? i ordered one last night and i am really anxious. lol. there is literally nothing on this fork on the internet. i am confident that the fork will hold up to the abuse that i am about to unleash on it, but if u could just tell me about this fork and your experiences with it, ie: biggest crash jump drop or what have you, that would be soo so so appreciated.
    Here is the fork that I have:

Bikeman Carver Bikes Trail-490 Carbon Rigid Disc 29er Tapered QR15 Thru Axle Mountain Fork

It used to be available in a QR version, which is what I have, but otherwise it's the same fork. I think it's hard to find info/reviews on the Carver forks because they seem to change pretty frequently.

I will start off by giving you 2 pieces of info about me and how I ride. First off, this is the first carbon fork that I have spent any extended time on, so I cannot compare it to any other carbon forks out there. Second, I am not a Hucker! I spend the vast majority of my time with both wheels on the ground. I will catch a little air here or there and have no problem dropping a 1-2 foot log or rock, but that's about it. That said, riding the Gnarvester has me catching more air than any bike I can remember, it's just fun! The fork feels super solid and I don't really notice any flex, even under heavy braking. It certainly flexes less than the steel and Ti forks I've been using. As far as crashing, I've had a couple of minor incidents, but nothing major, and the fork shows nothing for it. It seems to be a pretty tough fork. But, being carbon, I'm sure a hard hit on a rock in the wrong spot could cause it's demise, but I think it would have to be a pretty nasty crash! BTW, I'm 190lbs and ride in the Northeast, meaning lots of rocky, rooty, technical trails.

I think the fork will work great for you, as long as you don't treat it like a downhill bike!

Good luck, and post up some pictures when it's ready!

Mark

mtbr member
    Aug 2011
    Here is the fork that I have:

Bikeman Carver Bikes Trail-490 Carbon Rigid Disc 29er Tapered QR15 Thru Axle Mountain Fork

It used to be available in a QR version, which is what I have, but otherwise it's the same fork. I think it's hard to find info/reviews on the Carver forks because they seem to change pretty frequently.

I will start off by giving you 2 pieces of info about me and how I ride. First off, this is the first carbon fork that I have spent any extended time on, so I cannot compare it to any other carbon forks out there. Second, I am not a Hucker! I spend the vast majority of my time with both wheels on the ground. I will catch a little air here or there and have no problem dropping a 1-2 foot log or rock, but that's about it. That said, riding the Gnarvester has me catching more air than any bike I can remember, it's just fun! The fork feels super solid and I don't really notice any flex, even under heavy braking. It certainly flexes less than the steel and Ti forks I've been using. As far as crashing, I've had a couple of minor incidents, but nothing major, and the fork shows nothing for it. It seems to be a pretty tough fork. But, being carbon, I'm sure a hard hit on a rock in the wrong spot could cause it's demise, but I think it would have to be a pretty nasty crash! BTW, I'm 190lbs and ride in the Northeast, meaning lots of rocky, rooty, technical trails.

I think the fork will work great for you, as long as you don't treat it like a downhill bike!

Good luck, and post up some pictures when it's ready!

Mark
    awesome i am very anxious lol keep doing spreadsheeets of potential weight on bike at work - ha ha - it it suposed to be at my door step tomorrow night so i will have time on it this weekend. looking forward to going back to rigid, this will be my first carbon (component!) fork. every part on the steed is currently aluminum - no doubt its a beast but im sure i will not be missing the 140mm manitou i currently have here in orange county california. maybe i will be the outer legs and crown of this fork white to match the bike. im goign to be saving 900 grams over the 140mm. fork. i appreciate the advice i really do. for what its worth i will be putting the fork through its paces this weekend haha

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by Radioinactive View Post
    awesome i am very anxious lol keep doing spreadsheeets of potential weight on bike at work - ha ha - it it suposed to be at my door step tomorrow night so i will have time on it this weekend. looking forward to going back to rigid, this will be my first carbon (component!) fork. every part on the steed is currently aluminum - no doubt its a beast but im sure i will not be missing the 140mm manitou i currently have here in orange county california. maybe i will be the outer legs and crown of this fork white to match the bike. im goign to be saving 900 grams over the 140mm. fork. i appreciate the advice i really do. for what its worth i will be putting the fork through its paces this weekend haha
    Enjoy the fork and the riding this weekend. Unfortunately, my Gnarvester has been sitting idle for a while, our trails are still buried under snow, ice, mud, etc. We've been having some wacky weather here in NY, it was 60 deg. Tuesday and today it didn't get over 30. I'm definitely itching to ride this beast again!

mtbr member
    Just got done with my Gnarvester build...Sick bike!!!

mtbr member
    Aug 2011
    Introducing the Carver Gnarvester!-img_0342.jpgName:  IMG_0351.jpg
Views: 784
Size:  74.6 KB
    Enjoy the fork and the riding this weekend. Unfortunately, my Gnarvester has been sitting idle for a while, our trails are still buried under snow, ice, mud, etc. We've been having some wacky weather here in NY, it was 60 deg. Tuesday and today it didn't get over 30. I'm definitely itching to ride this beast again!
    got the fork , does your steerer ever feel like it is knocking when you are tapping the brake my headset/fork/stem are compressed and torqued right. I used my old crown race if that has anything to do with it? I do not notice the knocking a whole lot on the trail actualLy. Justwant to be sure I am not gonna snap a carbon steerer cause it isnt in right haha. On the 15 minute loop next to my house, there is a downhill and a decent up hill. This fork really lightend up my bike and it is strong enough to jump I am 155 and I really trust this fork so far. going to be able to put some actual time on it this weeknedAttachment 878275Attachment 878276Attachment 878277Attachment 878278Attachment 878279Attachment 878275Attachment 878279
    Last edited by Radioinactive; 03-20-2014 at 07:21 AM.

mtbr member

Introducing the Carver Gnarvester!

Quote Originally Posted by Sevenz View Post
    Just got done with my Gnarvester build...Sick bike!!!

This looks pretty close to a build I was imagining. Weight? What width/kind of rims, and does the Lefty have wide clamps?

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by trevorrr View Post
    This looks pretty close to a build I was imagining. Weight? What width/kind of rims, and does the Lefty have wide clamps?
    25 lbs (20" frame)
    Rabbit Hole Rims laced with super comp spokes to hope rear hub lefty front hub.
    Lefty has regular project 321 clamps PROJECT 321 | Products: Clamp-On Lefty Adapter Plenty of clearance....Lefty set up with 90mm of travel with a sagged A to C of 480...

mtbr member
    May 2013
    Can anyone tell me if the Gnarvester frame is made of 3/2.5 Titanium alloy?

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by buffalo dave View Post
    Can anyone tell me if the Gnarvester frame is made of 3/2.5 Titanium alloy?
    Really??? What else would it be made out of?

Yes

mtbr member
    Sep 2009
    From Carverbikes.com:

What tubing do you use?

The titanium tubing that we use is imported for us from Taiwan. It is aerospace grade seamless 3A/25V titanium. The tubing quality is excellent and is available in a quite a variety of tubing diameters and wall thicknesses including double butted, ovalized and tapered gauge. Our head tubes and bottom brackets are CNC machined from 3A/2.5V or 6A/4V titanium, depending on the application.

mtbr member
    May 2005
    Yes- and the build quality is very good. Lots of bent, hyrdo formed shaped and tapering tubes. Its a sweet deal for a titanium frame. Makes my old Merlins look very very plain
    Loved mine so much I bought the newest Carver O-beast.
    Get yours with thru-axle, it is the bomb!
    Perfect number of bikes (n) + 1

Page 3 of 7 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 LastLast