mtbr member
    Jan 2018

Interactive hometrainer

Hello, I have a mountain bike running 29 inch x 2.1 tyres (aproximately 53 mm) and I'm currently searching for a interactive hometrainer. Here is the problem: If I buy a rear wheel roller (I don't know the specific name), I will have to buy specific tyres cuz the geometry of the tyre will ruin the rubber in a heartbit, or am I wrong? Besides I have the rear wheel running tubeless . What would you suggest I should do? Store the tubeless liquid and buy some specific tyres, buy a new rear wheel or buy the more expensive option of a direct trasmission? I would like to sometimes ride outside so the first option is not a very plausible option. I am not too confortable going with the normal rollers, if you know what I mean, but if that is the most fair option I may give it a chance. If it helps, Im running a 142x12 rear hub and if you could suggest a good trainer, even better. I dont know why but Elite inspires me confidence.
    Much thanks.

mtbr member
    Nov 2007
    Another option is to buy a 2nd hand bike (an older alloy roadie is ideal) to keep permanently on the direct drive trainer. The bike only needs a front wheel (can be any old out-of-shape wheel as it doesn't need to go anywhere) and a drivetrain and contact points. No brakes are necessary which saves some money as well.

My own setup is an Elite Drivo trainer, a 2014 alloy Giant roadie (10 speed) and Zwift running on an iPad Pro. Works a treat.
    2017 Nicolai G13
    2017 Trek Fuel EX 9.9
    2018 Kona Honzo CR Trail
    2018 Kona Honzo ST
    2018 Whyte 905

mtbr member
    Jul 2005
    Options:

Buy another cheap used bike to leave on there (who has too many bikes?)
    Buy a direct drive (expensive)
    Buy another rear wheel, put a slick tire on it, use that(probably cheapest option

mtbr member
    Jan 2018
    @TooTallUK, if I go with 3rd setup, do you know what type of rear wheel would I have to choose? Like, would I need one running a 142x12 hub aswell or would it not be a problem? I don't know if it the rear hanger has any influence of the fit of the hub or not, could you elucidate me?

@russmu66 Thanks for the suggestion.

mtbr member
    Jan 2018

deleted

deleted

mtbr member
    Jul 2005
    Depends how many gears you are running on your current bike. You basically want the same size wheel (or one that can be adapted) plus the same ratio cassette. Nothing else about the bike matters for a spare trainer wheel. Just get a slick tire on it.

Have a word with your local bike shop. They might have wheels that have been traded up, or if someone has bent a front wheel and they have the rear. Always worth asking your LBS

mtbr member
    Jan 2018
    Ok, I'm probably going with direct drive. I have checked some trainers and saw the Elite Real Turbo Muin at a huge discount, at Halfords UK. The problem is I don't know if it is the normal version they are selling or the "B+" one. I have contacted via Live Chat but the assistants can't give me a definitive answer about the product. I also needed to know if it was compatible with my thru-axle hub, because there is a specific version for that. Can someone living in the UK please go there and solve my problems so I can have a happy life?

Cumps.

mtbr member
    Jul 2005
    Why not ask on a UK website? This is mostly American focused.
    Singletrackworld is a good UK MTB forum.

mtbr member
    Jan 2018
    Thanks. I'll check that!

mtbr member
    Aug 2017
    A lot of the trainers have conversions to through axle that you get separately. Standard seems to be quick release. Make sure you get something that is, or has conversion kit for your 142 x 12 axle.