mtbr member
    Mar 2010

Intense Spider 29 Love?

I can't seem to get any more than tidbits of info on this poor guy. I've read the reviews here, and at bikeradar and they seem to both shine some good light on the frame. I guess my question is why was it discontinued? Anyone know of any cons besides the geometry? And when people say flexy, are we talking flexy like an 1st gen super v or flexy compared to today's standards? I have an old Tracer which I liked and would love to consider picking up one of these Spider 29's if I can justify the cost over a big mama. The made in California part helps too!

mtbr member
    Oct 2007

I really like mine

I just got a smoking deal on a spider frame through the MTBR classifieds. I built it up with some decent parts. I really like the bike. I feel very confident on it. I think it flows really well. Last week I rode it on a course and shaved about 15% off my lap time. I haven't yet ridden it back to back with my Fisher Paragon but I suspect they'd feel very different.

Noah

mtbr member
    Feb 2007
    I have one and I was wondering the same thing. The site doesn't list it in the current models or discontinued models. I'm guessing it's discontinued. They'll probably try to improve on the flex everyone always mentions and release another model.

I've put over 700 miles on mine since October and the only conclusion I came to is that the 26er feels faster in the twistys. Sometimes I'll ride the 29er for a few weeks and then pickup the 26er and it just feel so nimble compared to the big wheels. Can't comment on the flex much, it's there but I haven't tried any other 29ers to compare. If I hadn't read everything about the flex I may have never even thought about it.

mtbr member
    Aug 2006
    I've loved mine since day one over 2 years ago now. It's the geometry that makes it so good, IMO. It's one of those steer with your hips kind of rides. It excels in tight east woods stuff, not as good as the going gets steeper and faster, but you just have to be more careful I guess? I've never crashed due to the frame being too steep in the front, let's put it that way.

Everyone says it's flexy in the rear, but I don't notice it while riding. Then again it's the only FS 29er I've ridden so ignorance is bliss, I suppose. I have ridden several other hard tail 29ers though, and the 73 head angle just seems ultra-precise and fun to me - everything else feels either sluggish or 'floppy'. I have an F29 at 100mm on the front.

It builds up fairly light, the frame weighs about 6lbs. Mine runs around 26.5-28lbs total depending on wheels/tires.

mtbr member
    Apr 2010
    After much research the only Spider 29 page I could find was this one:
    http://www.intensecycles.com/new07/