mtbr member
    Aug 2011

Inner Tube Stem Length - Enve XC

I just started running a Enve 29er XC wheelset using a tubeless set up but wanted to carry a spare inner tube for emergency purposes. The longest 29er presta stem length I can find is 48mm which doesn't look like it will be long enough due to the rim depth. Anyone know if 48mm is long enough or who makes a longer stem (60mm?) for 29 x 2.25 - 2.35?

Rub it............
    Might have to use a valve stem extender along with the tube.

mtbr member
    Jul 2007
    If you use a lezyne style pump with a screw on chuck, a 32mm valve is OK - it protrudes through the rim enough to get it all set up. A regular thumb-lock won't quite work though - that'd be a job for either an extender or a longer valve.

Plays with tools
    48mm stems are perfect, the standard 32 mm length just barley come to the edge of the ID of the rim sot the extra length of the 48 is fine. That said you NEED to cary a valve extender and not one that requires the removal of the stock valve. If you double flat and somebody comes along offering a tube it won't be any good without one.

mtbr member
    i use conti tubes (26") or maxis welter weight (26") which both come with long valves...and i carry a spare tube ... but thats a good that on valve extender...with one of the internally threaded sort you could add a valve too and that might help ... I've not had great luck with the simpler kind of valve extenders. fwiw conti tubes are great quality and stretch to 29/2.2-3 no problem and also have removable cores.

that has woke all with genuine inflators, pumps and lezyne pumps too.

id also suggest 20ml or so of effetto sealant and pvc shavings in there ...that way you get mixed system with some self sealing properties and baffle seal of tube + tyre.... course sounds like you are going to be tubeless....cool. you running the gorilla tape set up?

:-)~

metrotuned WoS
    48mm valve stem is fine, 60 too much.
    #willofthesun and author of the most viewed MTBR thread: Platform Pedal Shootout

mtbr member
    Aug 2011
    Thanks guys - 48mm it is. I have a couple of valve extenders somewhere in my basement so I just have to find them and throw one in my pack. And yes - I am running the gorilla tape set up with a liberal amount of Stan's. Solid set up thus far.