Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast
    mtbr member

Independent Fabrication Eye Candy

With all of the custom Ti discussions lately, I figured I would share. Finally got the end state build together (minus a Salsa promoto carbon bar on order).

Independent Fabrication Ti Deluxe 29er single speed. For those wondering if a custom dream bike is worth it…. It is.

From start to finish, Kevin and the rest of the IF folks were most excellent to deal with. They listened to what I was trying to get out of the custom experience, quizzed me to learn more, and readily shared opinions and ideas to get me there. Seven weeks for the frame, as committed.

The ride is fantastic. Plenty stiff, yet takes the edge off on long stuff. Nice and lively, yet extremely predictable. Finishing is top shelf all the way around.

Very happy so far with the build.
    Fork: The Fox Terralogic is solid, does what it claims, and well. I swear I can notice a difference with the new Kashmina coating on the stanchions. Very smuuve.

Brakes: I will never buy another brake again… the Formula R1's are mind blowing. Expensive sure, but a LOT lighter than the Juicy Ultimates they replaced, and a LOT better braking power, modulation. I am going to need to gain a LOT more weight before I would ever need more stopping power than the R1s.

Wheels: I look forward to riding the I9's/Stan's setup, brand new, I was riding a spare set of Arches/Hope pro 2s waiting for these. The I9/Crest combo came in at 1562g.

Misc: The Eriksen post. Just look at it. Awesome. FifteenG cranks came from my previous ride, love them. Very stiff, and quite light. And bottom brackets are only $50.

As pictured, about 21 lbs dressed for winter battle.
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Independent Fabrication Eye Candy-dscn0275.jpg  

Independent Fabrication Eye Candy-dscn0279.jpg  

Independent Fabrication Eye Candy-dscn0281.jpg  

Independent Fabrication Eye Candy-dscn0284.jpg  

Independent Fabrication Eye Candy-dscn0282.jpg  

Independent Fabrication Eye Candy-dscn0285.jpg  

Independent Fabrication Eye Candy-dscn0283.jpg  

banned
    very, very, very NICE!

mtbr member
    BOSS! Congrats!

30-ton War Machine
    SWEET BIKE!!! That doesn't look like Kashima though, then again the pictures of the anodized stuff look brown, and I am guessing they are black???? Just curious
    Isaac

Teen Wolf
    sexy

West Chester, PA
    Sep 2006
    Quote Originally Posted by edgerat
    SWEET BIKE!!! That doesn't look like Kashima though, then again the pictures of the anodized stuff look brown, and I am guessing they are black???? Just curious
    Isaac
    Thats all brown unless my monitor is on acid. Doesn't look like kashima to me either.

Bike is sick though, looks to be about the right size for me too. I wanna try it

West Chester, PA
    Sep 2006
    I'd also like to applaud whoever built the bike for the adjustment of the banjo on the rear brake. I like how that hose is routed.

TR
    Angry bunny
    Gorgeous bike, but why such a short seat tube and long seat post?

rider
    Booiinngg! Very nice ride. I've always been a IF fan.

mtbr member
    Amazing! I'd love to have an IF someday.

Hi.
    Hell that's a sharp bike. Those welds are clean too.

I gotta stop looking at these damn threads. Just makes me wanna spend more money!!!

mtbr member
    Jul 2010
    dat's purty!!

Nice build and color choices, original and classy!!
    The best things in life are not things.

mtbr member
    Apr 2007
    Jealous.

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by TR
    Gorgeous bike, but why such a short seat tube and long seat post?

Clearance for the jewels? More spring and comfort from the Ti post? Looks?

Lots of good reasons. Saddle to bar drop looks good.

TR
    Angry bunny
    Quote Originally Posted by D_Man
    Clearance for the jewels?

Must have extremely saggy jewels.

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by TR
    Must have extremely saggy jewels.
    Ding Ding. I'm 92 years old, gravity has taken its toll.

The short seat tube is a essentially a side effect of wanting specific HT angles and TT length, among other geo parameters. Most 9er frames for folks in my size range will probably have a short seat tube. The downside is the 2nd bottle mount is cramped. The upside is better stiffness of the triangle, and as someone mentioned the longer Ti seatpost actually gives a little which makes the long days more comfortable. Remember, I'm 92.

Kashmina- I am just going off of what Fox told me on the fork order, if you guys say its not Kashmina so be it. I must be victim to the placebo effect,it sure feels buttery smooth, even prior to seal breakin.

Thanks everyone for the positive comments. The bike's been amazing thus far, and now I can't wait to try it with the new wheels/tubeless setup...

30-ton War Machine

that is what Kashima looks like. I don't want to take anything away from the bike though, it is amazing man!

more skier than biker
    Nov 2006
    That my friend is a work of art. Glad to finally see it come together! Those hubs are killer....hell, everything is.

Now go ride the hell out of it!

(really interested to hear also how you like the Terralogic over time)

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by Tyrone Shoelaces
    That my friend is a work of art. Glad to finally see it come together! Those hubs are killer....hell, everything is.

Now go ride the hell out of it!

(really interested to hear also how you like the Terralogic over time)

you can count on my riding the crap out of it Ron although I have grabbed the cx bike a few times instead recently when the weather's been biblical... Ti melts when it gets really cold, wet and muddy I heard.

I thought of you the other day regarding the terralogic... I need to play with the threshold more to be certain, but it seems like a brillant solution for our style of lockout use, where we use it very frequently. Hell, my thumb would hurt after a long bruiser from flicking that damn lever so often on my RL

OK, I'm convinced I got hosed on the Kashmina edgerat, I am going to throw the entire heap into the american river in disgust. Maybe I will just take a rattle can of gold paint to it

Oh, and 92gli... where do you live? If local we may be able to work something out for you to throw a leg over her.

mtbr member
    sweet bike. rumour has it the kashima coat can be pretty variable in colour...even leg to leg....

regardless: thats a fine example of IF goodness right there

mtbr member
    Freakin awesome man. Wish I could afford somthing like this, maybe I can talk my wife into getting a second job

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by dRjOn
    sweet bike. rumour has it the kashima coat can be pretty variable in colour...even leg to leg....

regardless: thats a fine example of IF goodness right there
    Makes sense, mine has the coating but it doesnt look as brilliant as the above pic, the habdle bars make it look dull in comparision

[IMG]29er 002[/IMG]
    True North SS 29'er
    True North Road Rocket
    Spec SJ HT baby hauler

pap
    mtbr member
    Aug 2008

Wow

Shes a looker! You did a great job with the build. Was wondering when pictures of it built were going to show up! I couldn't wait that long and had mine built the day it showed up.

I am very intrigued by the fork too. Seems to make a lot of sense for the amount of times I'm twisting the knob...

Pap

mtbr member
    Beautiful - wow

West Chester, PA
    Sep 2006
    Quote Originally Posted by chairthruster

Kashmina- I am just going off of what Fox told me on the fork order, if you guys say its not Kashmina so be it.
    The label on the box will specify it, if you still have it. Might be worth going after a small refund if you paid for it.

I'm near philly BTW. Thanks for the offer !

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast