Rides like wrecking ball

Inbred 29 + rigid 26" fork for city use?

Would this work to create a sort of non-susp-corrected ride? I'm looking for something with quick road-ish handling that fits 29x2.35 Big Apples for cushioning. For this use quicker handling and the non-susp built look are desired. I also love the On-One wishbone frames and forks. Being the On-One 26" steel rigid is corrected for 80mm travel on 26" wheels I think it should still fit the 29x2.35 BA right?
    Quote Originally Posted by Hesh to Steel
    With people liking mongoose and trek bikes now, what's next in this crazy world? People disliking the bottlerocket?!

mtbr member
    The BA should fit into the fork! The problem I see ist the tire. There are faster tires with less protection (Kojak 2.25) and slower ones with grip to take curves extremely fast (Maxxis Hookworm). What do you need?

mtbr member
    You'd want a 26" fork that is suspension corrected for at least a 100mm travel 26er.

Look for something around 440mm A-C as most will fit all but the fattest 29er tires. Figure that it'll steepen the geometry by a degree or so and drop the bottom bracket a little bit.

This frame calculator is useful for seeing how different forks will affect the overall frame geometry of a bike.
    geometryCalc

Use that to find out how the head angle will change, then use this trail calculator to see how the steering will change with difference in head angle and fork rake/offset.
    Bicycle Trail Calculator | yojimg.net

I kinda want to do this to my Access to speed up the steering and shorten the wheelbase a little bit.

Rides like wrecking ball
    Quote Originally Posted by FlowinFlo View Post
    The BA should fit into the fork! The problem I see ist the tire. There are faster tires with less protection (Kojak 2.25) and slower ones with grip to take curves extremely fast (Maxxis Hookworm). What do you need?
    I say BA but they have a lighter version now...
    Super Moto HS 430 | Schwalbe North America

I'm looking for a big ballooney tire for a rigid city bike, but it doesn't have to be heavy and bulletproof. The past 5 years or so I've gone from 700x25c to 28c to 35c to now 47c and I find myself still wanting more. Might as well go all the way to 29x2.35" right? But 47c is the limit of my frame (Cotic Roadrat) and reaaaaally tight at that.

In a perfect world where my bike funds were unlimited I'd go custom and combine the ride and geometry of the Roadrat with the sweet looking (and big tire clearing) wishbone fork and stays of the Inbred. I can't win the lottery since I don't play, so making some educated guesstimates with existing budget pieces is the best I can do.
    With people liking mongoose and trek bikes now, what's next in this crazy world? People disliking the bottlerocket?!

Rides like wrecking ball
    Quote Originally Posted by GTscoob View Post
    You'd want a 26" fork that is suspension corrected for at least a 100mm travel 26er.

Look for something around 440mm A-C as most will fit all but the fattest 29er tires. Figure that it'll steepen the geometry by a degree or so and drop the bottom bracket a little bit.

This frame calculator is useful for seeing how different forks will affect the overall frame geometry of a bike.
    geometryCalc

Use that to find out how the head angle will change, then use this trail calculator to see how the steering will change with difference in head angle and fork rake/offset.
    Bicycle Trail Calculator | yojimg.net

I kinda want to do this to my Access to speed up the steering and shorten the wheelbase a little bit.
    Thanks, those links are great to play around with! The On-One 26" fork is 440. Their 29" fork is 470, but their 29" race fork is 450 so I think it would be in the ballpark of OK. Gotta play with those links though, could still screw up the handling, rake/trail all that stuff I don't understand well.