• 06-30-2013
    Colin+M
    1 Attachment(s)
    If you're thinking about getting one of the new RS Pikes...
    Do it already!!! Massive improvement over my 2013 Fox 34 Float 140mm. This fork is superbly supple, almost coil like. Also unlike my Fox 34, you can use all the travel on this fork. I moved the slider indicator all the up to the top of the stanchion on some bigger drops and jumps. With the Fox 34 I could never use all the exposed stanchion although I don't think you can on this particular fork even without air in it.

    The stanchion length is pretty identical on the Pike vs. Fox 34, but the crown/steerer junction is much taller on the Fox and that makes up the difference in A-C length between the two.

    Also for you people on the fence about going with the 140 or 150, compared to my Fox 34 140mm Float...

    The Pike 150mm 51mm offset is approximately 7mm shorter than the Fox 34 in terms of Axle to Crown measurements. So it is like 10mm free travel, especially if you are already running a Fox 34 140mm.

    Also the Pike 150mm weighs 4.3 lbs with full length uncut steerer, crown race and axle vs. 4.57 lbs for the Fox 34 with trimmed steerer, crown race and axle.

    So take my advice, get it and while you're at it get the 150mm too.

    I also have a Pike in 140mm 51mm offset that I plan on using on my Ripley when it comes in. I'll have to compare it versus the Fox 34 and 140mm Revelation that I have when I start the build.

    Also, what's a thread about new gear without pics? Useless.

    Attachment 812527
  • 06-30-2013
    kragu
    If you're thinking about getting one of the new RS Pikes...
    First of all, SICK bike.

    I haven't had any Pike time, but am loving the new Fox 34. I know just about all they did was change the spring rate, but it feels like a completely different fork when compared to my 2013.

    I'm sure the Pike is awesome, just sayin' that the 2013 Fox 34 wasn't quite up to par with most things Fox has put out.
  • 06-30-2013
    Colin+M
    Yes, I felt the need to specify it was a 2013 Fox. I hope they got things right in 2014 because now they have some competition with the Pike and Trace, unlike in years before when they were the only 34mm+ fork in town.
  • 06-30-2013
    Colin+M
    Quote:

    Originally Posted by scvkurt03 View Post
    First of all, SICK bike.

    I haven't had any Pike time, but am loving the new Fox 34. I know just about all they did was change the spring rate, but it feels like a completely different fork when compared to my 2013.

    I'm sure the Pike is awesome, just sayin' that the 2013 Fox 34 wasn't quite up to par with most things Fox has put out.

    P.S. your new Rip Alloy is SICK as well.
  • 06-30-2013
    Bulldozer27
    I have a 2012 Fox 34 RLC that isn' t as smooth as I would like. Is the damper similar to the 2013 Fox? Just trying to figure out if the new Pike will fix my problem.
  • 06-30-2013
    Colin+M
    In short, yes it will fix your problem. This fork is supremely smooth.
  • 07-01-2013
    thegweed
    I think the Pike looks so freaking cool with the black stanchions (for myself, not showing off)...wish they made a 120mm. My bike is all black as well.
  • 07-01-2013
    Just J
    Great write up, I'm waiting on some Pikes for my SB95c build, I have some Xfusion Trace 140 RL2's to go on it until August but your report has got me even more sure of my decision to hang on for them :)
  • 07-01-2013
    Colin+M
    I've never ridden a Trace, but I can say that the Pike is worth waiting for.
  • 07-01-2013
    TwoTone
    Quote:

    Originally Posted by Bulldozer27 View Post
    I have a 2012 Fox 34 RLC that isn' t as smooth as I would like. Is the damper similar to the 2013 Fox? Just trying to figure out if the new Pike will fix my problem.

    If I'm not mistaken you can get the new 2014 internals, might be a cheaper way to go.
  • 07-01-2013
    Just J
    Quote:

    Originally Posted by Colin+M View Post
    I've never ridden a Trace, but I can say that the Pike is worth waiting for.

    I've not ridden it either, my frame should be here next week, it's just a case of me not wanting to wait until I can ride it, so rather than wait until August for when my Pike's arrive I thought I'd put the Trace's on for now, that and I'm no longer impressed with the way Fox forks are currently.
  • 07-01-2013
    Cayenne_Pepa
    Yeah, that 51mm offset will make that stable, slack head angle turn much faster, by reducing the trail. Added benefit is zero wheel/toe overlap.

    BTW - diggin' your RIP9 RDO.
  • 07-01-2013
    syl3
    The Pike is the coolest fork in this gallery:

    24 Bikes of the Enduro World Series - Pinkbike
  • 07-01-2013
    Captain Cobb
    Quote:

    Originally Posted by TwoTone View Post
    If I'm not mistaken you can get the new 2014 internals, might be a cheaper way to go.

    Really? Where?
  • 07-01-2013
    eurospek
    Quote:

    Originally Posted by Captain Cobb View Post
    Really? Where?

    Directly from Fox Shox.

    If you have 2013 CTD, the upgrade to 2014 CTD is only $60 or so for the parts required. Now going from FIT RLC to CTD will be more expensive.

    FWIW, I'm running a 2012 FIT RLC Float 34 with the new upgraded Float Air spring side and it's much better than my previous stock 2012 FIT RLC Float 34.
  • 07-01-2013
    Captain Cobb
    I've got a 2012 140 talas, will any of these upgrades work for it?
  • 07-01-2013
    Bulldozer27
    Quote:

    Originally Posted by Captain Cobb View Post
    I've got a 2012 140 talas, will any of these upgrades work for it?

    +2???
  • 07-01-2013
    TwoTone
    Quote:

    Originally Posted by Captain Cobb View Post
    I've got a 2012 140 talas, will any of these upgrades work for it?

    Quote:

    Originally Posted by Bulldozer27 View Post
    +2???

    Hmm maybe call Fox?
  • 07-01-2013
    Structure
    1 Attachment(s)
    Liken the Solo Air 150mm a lot.
    I don't have any time on a Fox 34, coming from a 32 Talas. But so far this Pike is wonderful. Tracks cleanly through the rough. Smooths the small while devouring the big. Zero desire for the Dual Air.

    Attachment 812877
  • 07-14-2013
    Bulldozer27
    Thanks to this thread for pushing me over the edge ;). Replaced a Fox 34 TALAS RLC Kashima with a Pike 150mm Dual Air and two things were immediately apparent. First, the Fox's Kashima coat is totally overrated and quite possibly worthless. With just basic anodized stanchions, the Pike suffers from none of the stiction issues of the Fox. Second, the Pike's damper is much more smooth and plush throughout the travel compared to the Fox's FIT damper.

    I like this new Pike so much that I'm leaning heavily towards replacing the Fox fork on my hardtail with an RS SID. It even came with an extra seal rebuild kit, although I'm not sure if that's a negative comment on long-term reliability. Also, the white with black stanchions is perfect for my build.

  • 07-14-2013
    20.100 FR
    Quote:

    Originally Posted by Bulldozer27 View Post
    +2???

    +3 !
  • 07-14-2013
    Rev. 14
    Quote:

    Originally Posted by Colin+M View Post
    I also have a Pike in 140mm 51mm offset that I plan on using on my Ripley when it comes in. I'll have to compare it versus the Fox 34 and 140mm Revelation that I have when I start the build.Attachment 812527

    You have Ripley coming also? Isn't that a 120mm travel bike? Can it be fitted with a 140mm fork? I'd like to know how you think the Ripley is compared to the Niner. For some reason the Ripley reminds me of the Tallboy LTc in terms of its looks.
  • 07-14-2013
    Colin+M
    1 Attachment(s)
    I did have a Ripley coming but decided to go with a SB95c instead. The XL Ripley still wasn't available, but the SB95c was at Competitive Cyclist. I have already had a Ripley in size large however and I wouldn't really place it in the same category as the RDO. The RDO feels like a steamroller that will go thru or over anything you so desire. The Ripley however is like a thoroughbred race horse in terms of overall acceleration, but requires you to be a tad more cautious on the descent. Neither is a bad bike, in fact they are both excellent bikes. The SB95c is a nice blend of the 2 and I'm very pleased thus far. I really think the Yeti is the one to beat in this category of "one bike to rule them all". I have mine setup with the same 150mm Pike and a CC DBair.

    Attachment 816062
  • 07-14-2013
    confused
    Colin, your killing me with all these awesome bikes! Cant wait to here the review on this one but when are you getting a Devinci to check out?
  • 07-15-2013
    shutterbug67
    I would be interested in this also...
    Quote:

    Originally Posted by confused View Post
    Colin, your killing me with all these awesome bikes! Cant wait to here the review on this one but when are you getting a Devinci to check out?

  • 07-15-2013
    Colin+M
    No plans for a Devinci as of now, but never say never:)
  • 07-15-2013
    Jayem
    Just rode mine.

    It's pretty damn good.
  • 07-16-2013
    kragu
    If you're thinking about getting one of the new RS Pikes...
    Colin, any chance you've had time on a 2014 Float 34 yet? Wondering if its worth it to sell my fork for the Pike. Also wondering if you've talked to Niner at all about the 150 Pike and their frame warranty policy.
  • 07-16-2013
    LyNx
    How's the clearance out back though Colin? From what I've read none (carbon nor alloy) SB95s have much clearance in the rear, probably enough to run a decent 2.25" at the most. WHat are you running and any issues yet with ST rub?

    Quote:

    Originally Posted by Colin+M View Post
    I did have a Ripley coming but decided to go with a SB95c instead. The XL Ripley still wasn't available, but the SB95c was at Competitive Cyclist. I have already had a Ripley in size large however and I wouldn't really place it in the same category as the RDO. The RDO feels like a steamroller that will go thru or over anything you so desire. The Ripley however is like a thoroughbred race horse in terms of overall acceleration, but requires you to be a tad more cautious on the descent. Neither is a bad bike, in fact they are both excellent bikes. The SB95c is a nice blend of the 2 and I'm very pleased thus far. I really think the Yeti is the one to beat in this category of "one bike to rule them all". I have mine setup with the same 150mm Pike and a CC DBair.

  • 07-16-2013
    Colin+M
    Much more than than the alloy version. I am currently running a Ground Control 2.3 on Enve AM's with loads of clearance all the way around. I would say the clearance is on par with the Intense Spider Comp and almost as much as the Tallboy LTc. More than the Ripley and Rip9 RDO(although close).

    It's not Banshee Prime clearance, but I haven't found a carbon bike that is.
  • 07-16-2013
    Colin+M
    Quote:

    Originally Posted by scvkurt03 View Post
    Colin, any chance you've had time on a 2014 Float 34 yet? Wondering if its worth it to sell my fork for the Pike. Also wondering if you've talked to Niner at all about the 150 Pike and their frame warranty policy.

    Have not ridden the supposed "fixed" 2014 version, but I can tell you that it's worth the upgrade from the 2013. I wouldn't replace the 2014 Fox just yet unless you are unhappy with it's performance.

    In terms of running the Pike @150mm on the Niner, I didn't call them on it. Might be worthwhile if planning on doing it long term though. The overall A-C length of my Fox 34 140mm was longer than the Pike 150mm so I figured why not. Maybe I had a weird Fox 34, but it was a good 7mm taller than the Pike.
  • 07-16-2013
    esku
    1 Attachment(s)
    An amazing fork
    150 29" solo
    .
  • 07-16-2013
    Colin+M
    That T29 looks ready for business. Nice bike!
  • 07-16-2013
    kragu
    If you're thinking about getting one of the new RS Pikes...
    Quote:

    Originally Posted by Colin+M View Post
    Have not ridden the supposed "fixed" 2014 version, but I can tell you that it's worth the upgrade from the 2013. I wouldn't replace the 2014 Fox just yet unless you are unhappy with it's performance.

    In terms of running the Pike @150mm on the Niner, I didn't call them on it. Might be worthwhile if planning on doing it long term though. The overall A-C length of my Fox 34 140mm was longer than the Pike 150mm so I figured why not. Maybe I had a weird Fox 34, but it was a good 7mm taller than the Pike.

    That's odd regarding the AC measurement. I see the Fox 140 at 553 and the 150 Pike at 561.
  • 07-16-2013
    Colin+M
    I thought it was odd as well, but if you sit them side by side the Fox definitely is taller. Maybe my Fox fork is an oddball. Of course this could explain why I felt my Ripley handled subpar, I was running 160mm fork on it ;)
  • 07-16-2013
    Enel
    Quote:

    Originally Posted by Jayem View Post
    Just rode mine.

    It's pretty damn good.

    Crap.
  • 07-16-2013
    Colin+M
    Go ahead Enel, order one for the Prime.
  • 07-16-2013
    Enel
    Quote:

    Originally Posted by Colin+M View Post
    Go ahead Enel, order one for the Prime.

    It seems I am due a little something for me;)
  • 07-16-2013
    Colin+M
    You deserve it:) It really is a great fork and matches up well with the DBair.
  • 07-16-2013
    FM
    Quote:

    Originally Posted by Enel View Post
    It seems I am due a little something for me;)

    Mine shows up tomorrow, I'll have it on the Prime for thursdays ride. Went 51mm.
    The one I felt up in whistler @ chromag was pretty compelling.
  • 07-16-2013
    Enel
    Quote:

    Originally Posted by FM View Post
    Mine shows up tomorrow, I'll have it on the Prime for thursdays ride. Went 51mm.
    The one I felt up in whistler @ chromag was pretty compelling.

    Should I get 140 or 150?
    Solo or Dual Air?

    I have never much used Talas type gimmicks on climbs, I just sucked it up and leaned forward. 30mm isn't bad though and we have some steep climbs. Currently running a chopped 36 TALAS with a lot of stiction (I neve use the Talas), ~125-130mm travel, and tons of stiffness. No complaints other than the fork is pretty old and a stanchion creaks.

    I hope the Pike is as stiff, but fail to see how it can be as it is over a pound lighter.
  • 07-16-2013
    Colin+M
    You're in for a treat. It's nice to finally have a fork that is supple, smooth, rides high in the travel for pedaling, uses all available travel, point and shoot stiffness and isn't a Manitou Dorado Pro that weighs 7 lbs :)
  • 07-16-2013
    Colin+M
    Quote:

    Originally Posted by Enel View Post
    Should I get 140 or 150?
    Solo or Dual Air?

    I have never much used Talas type gimmicks on climbs, I just sucked it up and leaned forward. 30mm isn't bad though and we have some steep climbs. Currently running a chopped 36 TALAS with a lot of stiction (I neve use the Talas), ~125-130mm travel, and tons of stiffness. No complaints other than the fork is pretty old and a stanchion creaks.

    I hope the Pike is as stiff, but fail to see how it can be as it is over a pound lighter.

    I would go 150mm solo air personally, and I did. The additional 10mm of A-C of the 140 vs 150 is nearly negligible sagged, plus the Prime begs for 150mm IMO.
  • 07-16-2013
    Enel
    Quote:

    Originally Posted by Colin+M View Post
    I would go 150mm solo air personally, and I did. The additional 10mm of A-C of the 140 vs 150 is nearly negligible sagged, plus the Prime begs for 150mm IMO.

    Do you still have a Prime in the fleet?
  • 07-16-2013
    Colin+M
    Not anymore. I still regret getting rid of it, but I didn't have the extra room in the garage. I'm currently on a Yeti SB95c and it handles itself very similarly to the Prime so that helps ease the pain. If I rode the terrain you do however, I'd have a hard time riding a carbon bike.
  • 07-16-2013
    FM
    Quote:

    Originally Posted by Enel View Post
    Should I get 140 or 150?
    Solo or Dual Air?

    Everyone who's had both in hand confirms the 150mm Pike is ~7mm shorter than the 140mm Fox 34. There's a 160mm Pike on the way, which should be about the same a2c length as the 140mm fox. That would be a perfect fit for the prime, but reportedly it's months away. Sounds like an air cartridge swap is required to change travel.

    Far as Talas goes, I have only found travel adjust helpful on bikes that squat under power. That has not been an issue for any of the Banshees I've owned, which is one of the reasons I like Banshee.

    So 150mm solo air, or 160mm once it's available!
    The fork offset options are interesting. I opted for 51mm.
  • 07-16-2013
    Colin+M
    My 150mm has sag gradient markings on the Stanchion for both 160 and 150mm, so I'm hoping it is convertible to 160mm down the road.
  • 07-16-2013
    FM
    Quote:

    Originally Posted by Colin+M View Post
    My 150mm has sag gradient markings on the Stanchion for both 160 and 150mm, so I'm hoping it is convertible to 160mm down the road.

    Thats good news!
  • 07-16-2013
    jncarpenter
    Tonight's ride at Lunch Loops was the first time my Zocchi has left me wanting...seems I now NEED a Pike! :D
    ...possibly a beefier rim/wheelset as well. I feared I might fold my Flows on multiple occasions :D
  • 07-16-2013
    evasive
    If you're thinking about getting one of the new RS Pikes...
    Quote:

    Originally Posted by FM View Post
    There's a 160mm Pike on the way, which should be about the same a2c length as the 140mm fox. That would be a perfect fit for the prime, but reportedly it's months away.

    Perfect; I've heard the same. That fits my schedule better, too. I know what I want for Christmas.