Mountain Bike Reviews Forum banner

If you're thinking about getting one of the new RS Pikes...

22K views 114 replies 35 participants last post by  Bulldozer27 
#1 ·
Do it already!!! Massive improvement over my 2013 Fox 34 Float 140mm. This fork is superbly supple, almost coil like. Also unlike my Fox 34, you can use all the travel on this fork. I moved the slider indicator all the up to the top of the stanchion on some bigger drops and jumps. With the Fox 34 I could never use all the exposed stanchion although I don't think you can on this particular fork even without air in it.

The stanchion length is pretty identical on the Pike vs. Fox 34, but the crown/steerer junction is much taller on the Fox and that makes up the difference in A-C length between the two.

Also for you people on the fence about going with the 140 or 150, compared to my Fox 34 140mm Float...

The Pike 150mm 51mm offset is approximately 7mm shorter than the Fox 34 in terms of Axle to Crown measurements. So it is like 10mm free travel, especially if you are already running a Fox 34 140mm.

Also the Pike 150mm weighs 4.3 lbs with full length uncut steerer, crown race and axle vs. 4.57 lbs for the Fox 34 with trimmed steerer, crown race and axle.

So take my advice, get it and while you're at it get the 150mm too.

I also have a Pike in 140mm 51mm offset that I plan on using on my Ripley when it comes in. I'll have to compare it versus the Fox 34 and 140mm Revelation that I have when I start the build.

Also, what's a thread about new gear without pics? Useless.

Tire Wheel Bicycle tire Bicycle wheel rim Bicycle wheel

See less See more
#2 ·
First of all, SICK bike.

I haven't had any Pike time, but am loving the new Fox 34. I know just about all they did was change the spring rate, but it feels like a completely different fork when compared to my 2013.

I'm sure the Pike is awesome, just sayin' that the 2013 Fox 34 wasn't quite up to par with most things Fox has put out.

#4 ·
First of all, SICK bike.

I haven't had any Pike time, but am loving the new Fox 34. I know just about all they did was change the spring rate, but it feels like a completely different fork when compared to my 2013.

I'm sure the Pike is awesome, just sayin' that the 2013 Fox 34 wasn't quite up to par with most things Fox has put out.
P.S. your new Rip Alloy is SICK as well.

#11 ·
I've not ridden it either, my frame should be here next week, it's just a case of me not wanting to wait until I can ride it, so rather than wait until August for when my Pike's arrive I thought I'd put the Trace's on for now, that and I'm no longer impressed with the way Fox forks are currently.

#12 ·
Yeah, that 51mm offset will make that stable, slack head angle turn much faster, by reducing the trail. Added benefit is zero wheel/toe overlap.

BTW - diggin' your RIP9 RDO.

#19 ·
Liken the Solo Air 150mm a lot.

I don't have any time on a Fox 34, coming from a 32 Talas. But so far this Pike is wonderful. Tracks cleanly through the rough. Smooths the small while devouring the big. Zero desire for the Dual Air.

Tire Wheel Bicycle tire Bicycle wheel rim Spoke

#20 ·
Thanks to this thread for pushing me over the edge ;). Replaced a Fox 34 TALAS RLC Kashima with a Pike 150mm Dual Air and two things were immediately apparent. First, the Fox's Kashima coat is totally overrated and quite possibly worthless. With just basic anodized stanchions, the Pike suffers from none of the stiction issues of the Fox. Second, the Pike's damper is much more smooth and plush throughout the travel compared to the Fox's FIT damper.

I like this new Pike so much that I'm leaning heavily towards replacing the Fox fork on my hardtail with an RS SID. It even came with an extra seal rebuild kit, although I'm not sure if that's a negative comment on long-term reliability. Also, the white with black stanchions is perfect for my build.

#22 ·
I also have a Pike in 140mm 51mm offset that I plan on using on my Ripley when it comes in. I'll have to compare it versus the Fox 34 and 140mm Revelation that I have when I start the build. View attachment 812527
You have Ripley coming also? Isn't that a 120mm travel bike? Can it be fitted with a 140mm fork? I'd like to know how you think the Ripley is compared to the Niner. For some reason the Ripley reminds me of the Tallboy LTc in terms of its looks.

#23 ·
I did have a Ripley coming but decided to go with a SB95c instead. The XL Ripley still wasn't available, but the SB95c was at Competitive Cyclist. I have already had a Ripley in size large however and I wouldn't really place it in the same category as the RDO. The RDO feels like a steamroller that will go thru or over anything you so desire. The Ripley however is like a thoroughbred race horse in terms of overall acceleration, but requires you to be a tad more cautious on the descent. Neither is a bad bike, in fact they are both excellent bikes. The SB95c is a nice blend of the 2 and I'm very pleased thus far. I really think the Yeti is the one to beat in this category of "one bike to rule them all". I have mine setup with the same 150mm Pike and a CC DBair.

Bicycle tire Tire Wheel Bicycle wheel rim Bicycle frame

#29 ·
How's the clearance out back though Colin? From what I've read none (carbon nor alloy) SB95s have much clearance in the rear, probably enough to run a decent 2.25" at the most. WHat are you running and any issues yet with ST rub?

I did have a Ripley coming but decided to go with a SB95c instead. The XL Ripley still wasn't available, but the SB95c was at Competitive Cyclist. I have already had a Ripley in size large however and I wouldn't really place it in the same category as the RDO. The RDO feels like a steamroller that will go thru or over anything you so desire. The Ripley however is like a thoroughbred race horse in terms of overall acceleration, but requires you to be a tad more cautious on the descent. Neither is a bad bike, in fact they are both excellent bikes. The SB95c is a nice blend of the 2 and I'm very pleased thus far. I really think the Yeti is the one to beat in this category of "one bike to rule them all". I have mine setup with the same 150mm Pike and a CC DBair.

#31 ·
Have not ridden the supposed "fixed" 2014 version, but I can tell you that it's worth the upgrade from the 2013. I wouldn't replace the 2014 Fox just yet unless you are unhappy with it's performance.

In terms of running the Pike @150mm on the Niner, I didn't call them on it. Might be worthwhile if planning on doing it long term though. The overall A-C length of my Fox 34 140mm was longer than the Pike 150mm so I figured why not. Maybe I had a weird Fox 34, but it was a good 7mm taller than the Pike.

#30 ·
Much more than than the alloy version. I am currently running a Ground Control 2.3 on Enve AM's with loads of clearance all the way around. I would say the clearance is on par with the Intense Spider Comp and almost as much as the Tallboy LTc. More than the Ripley and Rip9 RDO(although close).

It's not Banshee Prime clearance, but I haven't found a carbon bike that is.

You have insufficient privileges to reply here.