Mountain Bike Reviews Forum banner

If you're thinking about getting one of the new RS Pikes...

22K views 114 replies 35 participants last post by  Bulldozer27 
#1 ·
Do it already!!! Massive improvement over my 2013 Fox 34 Float 140mm. This fork is superbly supple, almost coil like. Also unlike my Fox 34, you can use all the travel on this fork. I moved the slider indicator all the up to the top of the stanchion on some bigger drops and jumps. With the Fox 34 I could never use all the exposed stanchion although I don't think you can on this particular fork even without air in it.

The stanchion length is pretty identical on the Pike vs. Fox 34, but the crown/steerer junction is much taller on the Fox and that makes up the difference in A-C length between the two.

Also for you people on the fence about going with the 140 or 150, compared to my Fox 34 140mm Float...

The Pike 150mm 51mm offset is approximately 7mm shorter than the Fox 34 in terms of Axle to Crown measurements. So it is like 10mm free travel, especially if you are already running a Fox 34 140mm.

Also the Pike 150mm weighs 4.3 lbs with full length uncut steerer, crown race and axle vs. 4.57 lbs for the Fox 34 with trimmed steerer, crown race and axle.

So take my advice, get it and while you're at it get the 150mm too.

I also have a Pike in 140mm 51mm offset that I plan on using on my Ripley when it comes in. I'll have to compare it versus the Fox 34 and 140mm Revelation that I have when I start the build.

Also, what's a thread about new gear without pics? Useless.

Tire Wheel Bicycle tire Bicycle wheel rim Bicycle wheel

See less See more
#107 ·
Glad you like it. It's amazing what a little compression damping will do in super chunky terrain DHing or while clearing big doubles, great control. Now I want to know how to change the oil (without just doing an "exploratory")

#111 ·
Anyone else see this as RockShox simplifying their forks in a manner that is appealing, from dual air and dual flow rebound, to a new and improved solo air with tunable air volume and rapid recovery rebound, adding in the 3 setting threshold that sort of mimics Fox's CTD? I've seen some grumbling about the 15QR only and tapered only, but I wonder just how expensive this fork is to make if it's still this expensive if they didn't spend a lot investing in molds/tooling for other options.

Wonder why RockShox doesn't emphasize the other parts of their design more. Am I one the few that get excited by how beefy and sculpted the fork crown, arch, and drop outs look? Not just for aesthetics, but for perceived stiffness? I must admit that the aesthetics will likely get me to consider it more, but I'm wondering where the other ~$300 worth of value comes from over something like a Slant/Trace RL2 or a second-hand heavy Fox 34.

Makes me think that the industry is trying to find that sweet spot in between popular standards, having things like being easy to use, familiarity, and aesthetics in high priority. I think the aesthetics of the 15QR and tapered are the biggest reason why I like and accept them over 1.5" steerers and 20mm TA. I wonder what's next. Giant already has their Overdrive2 tapered 1.5" and 1.25" steerer, which I'm not totally against, but would the industry go as far as to introduce a 17mm QTA (quick thru-axle) with special locking collet hardware? :rolleyes:

#112 ·
Did you see any of the pre-launch info sessions that RS did with the various media outlets? They covered many of your points about the development, lower castings, etc. Supposedly there was a lot of investment there, as well as coming up with a reliable bladder-cartridge, as opposed to a hacked-together version. I can't believe how excited we were back in the day for the marzocchi all-mountain 1 when it came out (saw one today), bladder cart, sure, but inside that cart was virtually nothing to control damping, just a coil-spring orifice.

#113 ·
I reread the pinkbike one, but only see a mention of the lowers being asymmetrical and saving weight on the damper side. Was mostly about the damper.

I still see people saying that there's no diff between the Reba and Revelation. Unless examined side by side, I wonder if anyone would notice the biggest difference between them. Likely won't tell from reading the SRAM site... an average person would jump to the conclusion that it's just a Reba with more travel. Maybe if SRAM straight up said that the crown on the Revelation was beefier and attributed a lot to the stiffness of the fork, people would be more interested in it.

You have insufficient privileges to reply here.