Mountain Bike Reviews Forum banner

If you're thinking about getting one of the new RS Pikes...

22K views 114 replies 35 participants last post by  Bulldozer27 
#1 ·
Do it already!!! Massive improvement over my 2013 Fox 34 Float 140mm. This fork is superbly supple, almost coil like. Also unlike my Fox 34, you can use all the travel on this fork. I moved the slider indicator all the up to the top of the stanchion on some bigger drops and jumps. With the Fox 34 I could never use all the exposed stanchion although I don't think you can on this particular fork even without air in it.

The stanchion length is pretty identical on the Pike vs. Fox 34, but the crown/steerer junction is much taller on the Fox and that makes up the difference in A-C length between the two.

Also for you people on the fence about going with the 140 or 150, compared to my Fox 34 140mm Float...

The Pike 150mm 51mm offset is approximately 7mm shorter than the Fox 34 in terms of Axle to Crown measurements. So it is like 10mm free travel, especially if you are already running a Fox 34 140mm.

Also the Pike 150mm weighs 4.3 lbs with full length uncut steerer, crown race and axle vs. 4.57 lbs for the Fox 34 with trimmed steerer, crown race and axle.

So take my advice, get it and while you're at it get the 150mm too.

I also have a Pike in 140mm 51mm offset that I plan on using on my Ripley when it comes in. I'll have to compare it versus the Fox 34 and 140mm Revelation that I have when I start the build.

Also, what's a thread about new gear without pics? Useless.

Tire Wheel Bicycle tire Bicycle wheel rim Bicycle wheel

See less See more
#45 ·
Not anymore. I still regret getting rid of it, but I didn't have the extra room in the garage. I'm currently on a Yeti SB95c and it handles itself very similarly to the Prime so that helps ease the pain. If I rode the terrain you do however, I'd have a hard time riding a carbon bike.

#53 ·
I would like to put a Pike on my Stumpjumper FSR but I'm worried about the climbing capabilities regarding the longer fork. My Fox 32 130 mm has an A-C length of 538 mm, can anybody please post real A-C measurements of the 140 mm Solo Air and the 150-120 mm Dual Position Air Pike?

#56 ·
No, you don't, mine also measures just shy of showing 150mm of stanchion. Not quite sure how or why this came about because in the early years RS had tall A2C forks vs Fox - Fox F100 was 510mm and Reba 100mm was 520mm - now it seems to have been reversed.

Jack_Steel, all I've read reported is what Colin has said, A2C of the Pike @ 150mm is about the same (little shorter) as the F34 @ 140mm. The bigger question is which offset to go with for your particular frame ;) If you find the F34 too fast for you liking, then the lesser offset Pike my be the ticket, and vice versa, but honestly don't see these forks going on any bike with a HTA is more than 68* and for those sorts of angles can't see using anything less than a 51mm offset fork.

#71 ·
So now I am thinking I should replace my 34 with a 150 Pike considering the fork is shorter and had more usable travel. Kind of a no brainer. I would not mind having the bars a bit lower though...head angle I could get used to. Going on a Trance x 29.

Sent from my SCH-R530U using Tapatalk 4 Beta

#72 ·
So now I am thinking I should replace my 34 with a 150 Pike considering the fork is shorter and had more usable travel. Kind of a no brainer. I would not mind having the bars a bit lower though...head angle I could get used to. Going on a Trance x 29.

Sent from my SCH-R530U using Tapatalk 4 Beta
The absolute only downside is the $$$, otherwise it is a no brainer. Much nicer fork in my opinion than the 2013 and earlier Fox 34's.

#76 ·
Fox float 34 rlc 140mm left / Pike 150mm solo rct3 right
Installed, the pike has less tire clearance but still plenty for my speshy butcher 2.3 and a front fender. Good enough!

So less tire clearance, fork crown has lower stack height but seems beefier than the fox otherwise. It looks almost like fox 32 lowers on marz 66 uppers, which is a good sign in my book. The Maxle is also pretty slick- tool-free angle adjust. Rct3 seems cool- the 3 positions are like open, propedal and lock-out. Not sure if the LSC adjustment affects all 3 settings or just open.

Manual is crap though. No info on tuning whatsover, or how to install the bumpers included to make the fork more progressive. I guess thats all on the fork lowers (which do have a lot of tuning info).

Will get a good ride in on it tomorrow after work.

Sorry for the crap rotated iPhone pic.

#78 ·
Yeah, have seen pics posted and people were claiming more clearance than previous RS forks, but still not impressed for me and my riding and the mud we may encounter. The clincher which really showed the clearance or lack thereof compared to the F34 was showing a Knard fitted in and then fitted to the F34 - so much more clearance. Interested to hear thoughts on the stiffness of it compared to the F34 you guys have been riding - even at my paltry 170lbs neked I can see my F34 do some good for/aft flexing, although I can't say I feel it and it tracks like a rock.
Fox float 34 rlc 140mm left / Pike 150mm solo rct3 right
Installed, the pike has less tire clearance but still plenty for my speshy butcher 2.3 and a front fender. Good enough!

So less tire clearance, fork crown has lower stack height but seems beefier than the fox otherwise. It looks almost like fox 32 lowers on marz 66 uppers, which is a good sign in my book. The Maxle is also pretty slick- tool-free angle adjust. Rct3 seems cool- the 3 positions are like open, propedal and lock-out. Not sure if the LSC adjustment affects all 3 settings or just open.

Manual is crap though. No info on tuning whatsover, or how to install the bumpers included to make the fork more progressive. I guess thats all on the fork lowers (which do have a lot of tuning info).

Will get a good ride in on it tomorrow after work.

#81 ·
Not to confuse the matter....but.

I just picked up my Pike 140, 46mm offset.

Axle to crown measures 551mm, exactly RockShox spec with 144mm of exposed stantion.

I wonder if the 46 mm and 51 mm offset have different true a-c measurements???

BTW...not for use on a Tallboy LTc as I had stated earlier, went with a different bike. I'm really concerned that this will throw off the geometry as the bike's OEM spec is a 130mm travel, 537mm a-c fork.

If I don't find a way to lower this fork 10mm, I may return it...with that increase in a-c, I'd prefer to have more offset.

#84 ·
Got some more time on the fork and it's great. It rewards you for pushing it harder because it just keeps feeling better and better. It makes you wonder just how hard you can push it through the rough because it sucks stuff up so well. Took the pressure down a little below 70, maybe 8 clicks of rebound 0-2 of compression, and it just eats successive roots as if they weren't there. It's kind of a "this is how suspension should be" feel. A little softer low speed compression than my avalanche stuff with a little softer transition from low to high speed. That's not good or bad, as the low speed has its benefits and high speed of the avalanche stuff is exceptional, but so far this seems on par and a great match for the enduro. Even did ski resort on sat and hit some pretty big doubles.

#89 ·
Also running the Pike 150 on my TBLTc. Love it. I have to do a bit of weight shifting occasionally when climbing but actually less than I expected with the bike.

I'm willing to bet that when SC does a major revision to the TBLT, they will slightly slacken it anyway. So I gained a very slight bottom bracket height increase (good in my book) and a slight slackening (also good in my book).

Of course, the bike may be even more of a handful in tight corners/switchbacks, but I'm enjoying it anyway.

#94 ·
Do it already!!! Massive improvement over my 2013 Fox 34 Float 140mm. This fork is superbly supple, almost coil like. Also unlike my Fox 34, you can use all the travel on this fork. I moved the slider indicator all the up to the top of the stanchion on some bigger drops and jumps. With the Fox 34 I could never use all the exposed stanchion although I don't think you can on this particular fork even without air in it.http://goo.gl/mNkDb

The stanchion length is pretty identical on the Pike vs. Fox 34, but the crown/steerer junction is much taller on the Fox and that makes up the difference in A-C length between the two.

Also for you people on the fence about going with the 140 or 150, compared to my Fox 34 140mm Float...

The Pike 150mm 51mm offset is approximately 7mm shorter than the Fox 34 in terms of Axle to Crown measurements. So it is like 10mm free travel, especially if you are already running a Fox 34 140mm.

Also the Pike 150mm weighs 4.3 lbs with full length uncut steerer, crown race and axle vs. 4.57 lbs for the Fox 34 with trimmed steerer, crown race and axle.

So take my advice, get it and while you're at it get the 150mm too.

I also have a Pike in 140mm 51mm offset that I plan on using on my Ripley when it comes in. I'll have to compare it versus the Fox 34 and 140mm Revelation that I have when I start the build.

Also, what's a thread about new gear without pics? Useless.

View attachment 812527
Sweet looking bike

#96 · (Edited)
I have one ride on mine...here's a quick update. It's a 140mm, 46mm offset, 29er.

After riding the there is 148 mm of exposed stanchion. Axle to crown is up to 553 mm.
Weight with uncut steerer was 1863 w/o axle, 1937 with axle.

The fork rides really well, more compression damping than a Fox 34 and a more controlled ride. The middle pedal position is my preferred setting-pedals like an XC fork, but descends better than any other 140mm fork I've ridden (F34 RLC, F34 CTD). For gravity only riding, I'd probably run it in the open position with the low speed compression turned it 4 clicks. Needs a little tuning yet, but I won't have much time to ride for awhile.

#98 ·
Duke, bit unfair a comparison though, don't ya think - Rev w/ 32mm stanchions vs Pike with 35mm stanchions :D Did or have you ever ridden an f34 or any other fork with bigger stanchions?

Short review here: I have one day of DH runs on mine. Buy one....
P.s. anybody want a 140mm revelation? Comes with an extra 120mm air spring.

#100 ·
@Lynx. I didn't notice the stiffness much compared to the Revelation, sure it may be stiffer, but it wasn't a game changer. The damper is what i love so much on the Pike.

Attached is a DHF EXO 2.5 tire clearnce

Attachments

#101 ·
Lynx needs more clearance than that, Because the Crest on the front of his prime will flex to much if he puts a good big tyre on it.

I have ridden the Fox 34 (2012 ) & didn't like it much, The damper on the Pike is just so nice.

#103 ·
Yes agreed.

I think it is more the for & aft movement that he talks about though.

IMO he likes the Prime more than needs the Prime.

When they make there shorter travel & lighter frame, If Lynx gets that frame he will have a much better bike for his needs.

#105 ·
I finally got a bit long ride on the pike in through all kinds of different terrain. During this time I've been tightening down the headset preload because the bike has been bedding in, so everything has not always been optimal, but the pike rocked on all terrain. Even took it through some chunkier rock terrain and it did outstanding, increased the compression to about 5 clicks to not have it dive so much and it kept on going, not diving, staying very controlled, without getting harsh, very impressive. Definitely great action so far. You can tell on the chunkiest stuff that it's not a "DH fork", but at the same time as you keep pushing it it keeps up and doesn't let you down.

You have insufficient privileges to reply here.