Page 5 of 5 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 5
Results 101 to 115 of 115
  1. #101
    Carbon & Ti rule
    Reputation: muzzanic's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2009
    Posts
    5,236
    Quote Originally Posted by DukeNeverwinter View Post
    @Lynx. I didn't notice the stiffness much compared to the Revelation, sure it may be stiffer, but it wasn't a game changer. The damper is what i love so much on the Pike.

    Attached is a DHF EXO 2.5 tire clearnce
    Lynx needs more clearance than that, Because the Crest on the front of his prime will flex to much if he puts a good big tyre on it.

    I have ridden the Fox 34 (2012 ) & didn't like it much, The damper on the Pike is just so nice.

  2. #102
    mtbr member
    Reputation:
    Join Date
    May 2006
    Posts
    913
    wait, a guy riding a crest on a big bike like that is complaining about fork flex? Rim/wheel flex is going to be more than fork flex.
    http://Theclydeblog.org Big guy cycling product tester

  3. #103
    Carbon & Ti rule
    Reputation: muzzanic's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2009
    Posts
    5,236
    Quote Originally Posted by DukeNeverwinter View Post
    wait, a guy riding a crest on a big bike like that is complaining about fork flex? Rim/wheel flex is going to be more than fork flex.
    Yes agreed.

    I think it is more the for & aft movement that he talks about though.

    IMO he likes the Prime more than needs the Prime.

    When they make there shorter travel & lighter frame, If Lynx gets that frame he will have a much better bike for his needs.

  4. #104
    MTB B'dos
    Reputation: LyNx's Avatar
    Join Date
    Oct 2004
    Posts
    17,827
    Yes, love the Prime, couldn't pass up the chance to be in on the testing for Banshee's 1st 29er FS and the new KS link, but way more bike than I need, and yes, when I talk about flex I mean for/aft flex most times. Crest is only on there as an experiment I did for fun, but has proven to hold up to some pretty decent bashing in the rocks, but no, I don't often see my wheels leave the ground and if they do it's less than 2ft normally. Still despite the Prime being 34lbs> I enjoy being the first to the top when others are sporting S-works FSRs, Scalpel Ultimates, GF Superflies and then I get to have my big grin on the downs When I get that bike Muzz, you know I'll post pics for you and after riding the Prime for so long it'll feel like a rocket ship.
    Quote Originally Posted by DukeNeverwinter View Post
    wait, a guy riding a crest on a big bike like that is complaining about fork flex? Rim/wheel flex is going to be more than fork flex.
    Quote Originally Posted by muzzanic View Post
    Yes agreed.I think it is more the for & aft movement that he talks about though.
    IMO he likes the Prime more than needs the Prime. When they make their shorter travel & lighter frame, If Lynx gets that frame he will have a much better bike for his needs.
    One day your life will flash before your eyes, will it be worth watching??
    MTB Barbados
    My Phantom pics

  5. #105
    Elitest thrill junkie
    Reputation: Jayem's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2005
    Posts
    19,941
    I finally got a bit long ride on the pike in through all kinds of different terrain. During this time I've been tightening down the headset preload because the bike has been bedding in, so everything has not always been optimal, but the pike rocked on all terrain. Even took it through some chunkier rock terrain and it did outstanding, increased the compression to about 5 clicks to not have it dive so much and it kept on going, not diving, staying very controlled, without getting harsh, very impressive. Definitely great action so far. You can tell on the chunkiest stuff that it's not a "DH fork", but at the same time as you keep pushing it it keeps up and doesn't let you down.
    "It's only when you stand over it, you know, when you physically stand over the bike, that then you say 'hey, I don't have much stand over height', you know"-T. Ellsworth

    You're turning black metallic.

  6. #106
    Powered by ice cream.
    Reputation: Enel's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2004
    Posts
    6,270

    If you're thinking about getting one of the new RS Pikes...

    Okay wow. This is the fork I have been looking for for the past ten years.

    Finally a good, long travel 29" fork.
    Quote Originally Posted by buddhak
    And I thought I had a bike obsession. You are at once tragic and awesome.

  7. #107
    Elitest thrill junkie
    Reputation: Jayem's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2005
    Posts
    19,941
    Glad you like it. It's amazing what a little compression damping will do in super chunky terrain DHing or while clearing big doubles, great control. Now I want to know how to change the oil (without just doing an "exploratory")
    "It's only when you stand over it, you know, when you physically stand over the bike, that then you say 'hey, I don't have much stand over height', you know"-T. Ellsworth

    You're turning black metallic.

  8. #108
    mtbr member
    Reputation:
    Join Date
    Feb 2009
    Posts
    1,312
    Quote Originally Posted by Enel View Post
    Okay wow. This is the fork I have been looking for for the past ten years.

    Finally a good, long travel 29" fork.
    Glad to see that you finally caved in Eric. Did you opt for the 150mm flavor?

  9. #109
    Trail Ninja
    Reputation: Varaxis's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2010
    Posts
    2,885
    Quote Originally Posted by Jayem View Post
    Glad you like it. It's amazing what a little compression damping will do in super chunky terrain DHing or while clearing big doubles, great control. Now I want to know how to change the oil (without just doing an "exploratory")
    What's this "little compression damping" that's offering control there that another fork's compression damping can't also do?

  10. #110
    Elitest thrill junkie
    Reputation: Jayem's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2005
    Posts
    19,941
    Quote Originally Posted by Varaxis View Post
    What's this "little compression damping" that's offering control there that another fork's compression damping can't also do?
    For many years this adjustment has been more about marketing "adjustments" rather than something useful that doesn't turn the fork into a jackhammer. Forks aren't usually sold on the technology of the damper, rather, people see the "adjustments" and automatically figure that one with more adjustments must be better and worthy of a higher price. To this end, I've had polar opposite experiences on my avalanche shocks and forks, where increasing the low speed compression allows the high speed circuit to activate, while keeping the chassis more stable for low-speed impacts. These shocks/forks just got better as you went faster through super chunky rocks and impacts and you could adjust the compression to make useful changes that would make it ride better. I notice with the pike while pushing it through really rough terrain at speed, more compression damping helps keep the fork higher, not blow through travel, not end up too "compressed" for the next bump, while not turning it into a jackhammer, which I consider to be pretty good and unlike most forks I've used, ones that may have had the same or more adjustments, but ones that were just not useful. As a comparison, if I run the same kind of low-speed compression on my rear shock, it bucks my rear end into the air and does not transition easily to the high speed circuit. It's more like the traditional "crude" high/low speed damping circuits.
    "It's only when you stand over it, you know, when you physically stand over the bike, that then you say 'hey, I don't have much stand over height', you know"-T. Ellsworth

    You're turning black metallic.

  11. #111
    Trail Ninja
    Reputation: Varaxis's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2010
    Posts
    2,885
    Anyone else see this as RockShox simplifying their forks in a manner that is appealing, from dual air and dual flow rebound, to a new and improved solo air with tunable air volume and rapid recovery rebound, adding in the 3 setting threshold that sort of mimics Fox's CTD? I've seen some grumbling about the 15QR only and tapered only, but I wonder just how expensive this fork is to make if it's still this expensive if they didn't spend a lot investing in molds/tooling for other options.

    Wonder why RockShox doesn't emphasize the other parts of their design more. Am I one the few that get excited by how beefy and sculpted the fork crown, arch, and drop outs look? Not just for aesthetics, but for perceived stiffness? I must admit that the aesthetics will likely get me to consider it more, but I'm wondering where the other ~$300 worth of value comes from over something like a Slant/Trace RL2 or a second-hand heavy Fox 34.

    Makes me think that the industry is trying to find that sweet spot in between popular standards, having things like being easy to use, familiarity, and aesthetics in high priority. I think the aesthetics of the 15QR and tapered are the biggest reason why I like and accept them over 1.5" steerers and 20mm TA. I wonder what's next. Giant already has their Overdrive2 tapered 1.5" and 1.25" steerer, which I'm not totally against, but would the industry go as far as to introduce a 17mm QTA (quick thru-axle) with special locking collet hardware?

  12. #112
    Elitest thrill junkie
    Reputation: Jayem's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2005
    Posts
    19,941
    Quote Originally Posted by Varaxis View Post
    Anyone else see this as RockShox simplifying their forks in a manner that is appealing, from dual air and dual flow rebound, to a new and improved solo air with tunable air volume and rapid recovery rebound, adding in the 3 setting threshold that sort of mimics Fox's CTD? I've seen some grumbling about the 15QR only and tapered only, but I wonder just how expensive this fork is to make if it's still this expensive if they didn't spend a lot investing in molds/tooling for other options.

    Wonder why RockShox doesn't emphasize the other parts of their design more. Am I one the few that get excited by how beefy and sculpted the fork crown, arch, and drop outs look? Not just for aesthetics, but for perceived stiffness? I must admit that the aesthetics will likely get me to consider it more, but I'm wondering where the other ~$300 worth of value comes from over something like a Slant/Trace RL2 or a second-hand heavy Fox 34.

    Makes me think that the industry is trying to find that sweet spot in between popular standards, having things like being easy to use, familiarity, and aesthetics in high priority. I think the aesthetics of the 15QR and tapered are the biggest reason why I like and accept them over 1.5" steerers and 20mm TA. I wonder what's next. Giant already has their Overdrive2 tapered 1.5" and 1.25" steerer, which I'm not totally against, but would the industry go as far as to introduce a 17mm QTA (quick thru-axle) with special locking collet hardware?
    Did you see any of the pre-launch info sessions that RS did with the various media outlets? They covered many of your points about the development, lower castings, etc. Supposedly there was a lot of investment there, as well as coming up with a reliable bladder-cartridge, as opposed to a hacked-together version. I can't believe how excited we were back in the day for the marzocchi all-mountain 1 when it came out (saw one today), bladder cart, sure, but inside that cart was virtually nothing to control damping, just a coil-spring orifice.
    "It's only when you stand over it, you know, when you physically stand over the bike, that then you say 'hey, I don't have much stand over height', you know"-T. Ellsworth

    You're turning black metallic.

  13. #113
    Trail Ninja
    Reputation: Varaxis's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2010
    Posts
    2,885
    I reread the pinkbike one, but only see a mention of the lowers being asymmetrical and saving weight on the damper side. Was mostly about the damper.

    I still see people saying that there's no diff between the Reba and Revelation. Unless examined side by side, I wonder if anyone would notice the biggest difference between them. Likely won't tell from reading the SRAM site... an average person would jump to the conclusion that it's just a Reba with more travel. Maybe if SRAM straight up said that the crown on the Revelation was beefier and attributed a lot to the stiffness of the fork, people would be more interested in it.

  14. #114
    Cassoulet forever !
    Reputation: 20.100 FR's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2004
    Posts
    2,063
    I wonder if the dual position pike has the same spring rate than the fix travel version...
    Frenchspeaking 29"ers community site http://VingtNeuf.org

  15. #115
    mtbr member
    Reputation:
    Join Date
    Sep 2005
    Posts
    183
    Quote Originally Posted by 20.100 FR View Post
    I wonder if the dual position pike has the same spring rate than the fix travel version...
    I bought the 150/120 dual-position Pike based on early posts in this thread even though all referred to the solo-air version. Don't worry; if you're riding a Fox now, it will feel like it's broken after you ridee the Pike.

Page 5 of 5 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 5

Similar Threads

  1. Show off your PIKES!!!!
    By juancho142 in forum All Mountain
    Replies: 1
    Last Post: 11-04-2011, 10:28 PM
  2. Pikes Peak Descent
    By muddywings in forum Colorado - Front Range
    Replies: 21
    Last Post: 08-29-2011, 09:18 PM
  3. Pikes Peak Shuttle 8/10/11
    By muddywings in forum Colorado - Front Range
    Replies: 0
    Last Post: 08-08-2011, 03:54 PM
  4. Riding down Pikes Peak
    By TitusCO in forum Colorado - Front Range
    Replies: 34
    Last Post: 07-17-2011, 02:30 PM
  5. OT: Serious Hill Climb [oo]< Pikes Peak
    By RipRoar in forum California - Norcal
    Replies: 3
    Last Post: 01-21-2011, 05:59 PM

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •