Page 4 of 5 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 5 LastLast
    FM
    luxatio erecta
    Fox float 34 rlc 140mm left / Pike 150mm solo rct3 right
    Installed, the pike has less tire clearance but still plenty for my speshy butcher 2.3 and a front fender. Good enough!

So less tire clearance, fork crown has lower stack height but seems beefier than the fox otherwise. It looks almost like fox 32 lowers on marz 66 uppers, which is a good sign in my book. The Maxle is also pretty slick- tool-free angle adjust. Rct3 seems cool- the 3 positions are like open, propedal and lock-out. Not sure if the LSC adjustment affects all 3 settings or just open.

Manual is crap though. No info on tuning whatsover, or how to install the bumpers included to make the fork more progressive. I guess thats all on the fork lowers (which do have a lot of tuning info).

Will get a good ride in on it tomorrow after work.

Sorry for the crap rotated iPhone pic.

If you're thinking about getting one of the new RS Pikes...-download.jpg

mtbr member
    May 2013
    Quote Originally Posted by Colin+M View Post
    Since my Fox 34 140mm is no longer installed, I took the liberty to re-measure it. From the crown/steerer junction (below the crown race) to the top edge of the axle is 558mm.
    If you measured to the top edge of the axle you have to add 7.5mm to your measurement (half of the axle diameter). Thank you very much for posting A2C lengths of all the forks!

MTB B'dos
    Yeah, have seen pics posted and people were claiming more clearance than previous RS forks, but still not impressed for me and my riding and the mud we may encounter. The clincher which really showed the clearance or lack thereof compared to the F34 was showing a Knard fitted in and then fitted to the F34 - so much more clearance. Interested to hear thoughts on the stiffness of it compared to the F34 you guys have been riding - even at my paltry 170lbs neked I can see my F34 do some good for/aft flexing, although I can't say I feel it and it tracks like a rock.
    Quote Originally Posted by FM View Post
    Fox float 34 rlc 140mm left / Pike 150mm solo rct3 right
    Installed, the pike has less tire clearance but still plenty for my speshy butcher 2.3 and a front fender. Good enough!

So less tire clearance, fork crown has lower stack height but seems beefier than the fox otherwise. It looks almost like fox 32 lowers on marz 66 uppers, which is a good sign in my book. The Maxle is also pretty slick- tool-free angle adjust. Rct3 seems cool- the 3 positions are like open, propedal and lock-out. Not sure if the LSC adjustment affects all 3 settings or just open.

Manual is crap though. No info on tuning whatsover, or how to install the bumpers included to make the fork more progressive. I guess thats all on the fork lowers (which do have a lot of tuning info).

Will get a good ride in on it tomorrow after work.
    One day your life will flash before your eyes, will it be worth watching??
    MTB Barbados
    My Phantom pics

mtbr member
    Feb 2009
    Quote Originally Posted by LyNx View Post
    Yeah, have seen pics posted and people were claiming more clearance than previous RS forks, but still not impressed for me and my riding and the mud we may encounter. The clincher which really showed the clearance or lack thereof compared to the F34 was showing a Knard fitted in and then fitted to the F34 - so much more clearance. Interested to hear thoughts on the stiffness of it compared to the F34 you guys have been riding - even at my paltry 170lbs neked I can see my F34 do some good for/aft flexing, although I can't say I feel it and it tracks like a rock.
    Definitely less clearance than the Fox 34 Lynx. I don't think its much different than my Revelation. Not an issue for me as we don't have the tropical climate however.

mtbr member
    Feb 2009
    Quote Originally Posted by jack_steel View Post
    If you measured to the top edge of the axle you have to add 7.5mm to your measurement (half of the axle diameter). Thank you very much for posting A2C lengths of all the forks!
    This is true. I just wanted to give a reference point for my measurements. The Pike still isn't 565mm so maybe they made some changes for final production.

mtbr member
    Not to confuse the matter....but.

I just picked up my Pike 140, 46mm offset.

Axle to crown measures 551mm, exactly RockShox spec with 144mm of exposed stantion.

I wonder if the 46 mm and 51 mm offset have different true a-c measurements???

BTW...not for use on a Tallboy LTc as I had stated earlier, went with a different bike. I'm really concerned that this will throw off the geometry as the bike's OEM spec is a 130mm travel, 537mm a-c fork.

If I don't find a way to lower this fork 10mm, I may return it...with that increase in a-c, I'd prefer to have more offset.
    Race Reports, PreRide Reports, and General Rambling:

www.roostersbikersedge.com
    http://www.ENVEcomposites.com

mtbr member

If you're thinking about getting one of the new RS Pikes...

Where's everyone getting their 51mm offset forks? Nobody has stock and availability to dealers is even limited...
    '14 Lenz Lunchbox
    '14 RIP 9
    '12 RIP 9
    '08 GF Ferrous 29
    '02 Trek 4300

mtbr member
    May 2006

Re: If you're thinking about getting one of the new RS Pikes...

QBP is back ordered until end of July on the 51s i think.
    http://Theclydeblog.org Big guy cycling product tester

Elitest thrill junkie
    Got some more time on the fork and it's great. It rewards you for pushing it harder because it just keeps feeling better and better. It makes you wonder just how hard you can push it through the rough because it sucks stuff up so well. Took the pressure down a little below 70, maybe 8 clicks of rebound 0-2 of compression, and it just eats successive roots as if they weren't there. It's kind of a "this is how suspension should be" feel. A little softer low speed compression than my avalanche stuff with a little softer transition from low to high speed. That's not good or bad, as the low speed has its benefits and high speed of the avalanche stuff is exceptional, but so far this seems on par and a great match for the enduro. Even did ski resort on sat and hit some pretty big doubles.
    "It's only when you stand over it, you know, when you physically stand over the bike, that then you say 'hey, I don't have much stand over height', you know"-T. Ellsworth

You're turning black metallic.

mtbr member
    Thoughts on a 140 or 150 for a Tallboy LTc?

mtbr member
    Feb 2009
    Quote Originally Posted by scvkurt03 View Post
    Where's everyone getting their 51mm offset forks? Nobody has stock and availability to dealers is even limited...
    I got mine at Fanatik Bike Co., I had mine pre-ordered as soon as they were announced.

mtbr member
    May 2013
    In Austria/Germany the availability is delayed til September...

mtbr member
    Feb 2009
    Quote Originally Posted by LB412 View Post
    Thoughts on a 140 or 150 for a Tallboy LTc?

I think the LTc would be an excellent bike for a 150mm fork. I'm running the 150mm on my SB95c and loving it.

Demon Cleaner
    Also running the Pike 150 on my TBLTc. Love it. I have to do a bit of weight shifting occasionally when climbing but actually less than I expected with the bike.

I'm willing to bet that when SC does a major revision to the TBLT, they will slightly slacken it anyway. So I gained a very slight bottom bracket height increase (good in my book) and a slight slackening (also good in my book).

Of course, the bike may be even more of a handful in tight corners/switchbacks, but I'm enjoying it anyway.
    Bicycling is politics by other means.

beater
    There's a 160mm Pike on the way
    The 160mm Pike (51mm offset) is showing up on the Carbine 29, according to the press release on PB this AM.
    "Back off, man. I'm a scientist." - Dr. Peter Venkman

Riding in Helena? Everything you need to know, right here.

mtbr member
    I'll measure mine tonight
    Hey FM, did you ever get a chance to measure yours?
    Thanks!

Elitest thrill junkie
    Definitely less clearance than the Fox 34 Lynx. I don't think its much different than my Revelation. Not an issue for me as we don't have the tropical climate however.
    It's going to take a true or large 2.5" just fine, the absolute closest part of the fork to the tire is .5" on a 2.3 butcher. The butcher is admittedly skinny, but there appears to be ample clearance to take any kind of normal bigger tire. A quarter inch bigger on each side and top would be nothing and it could possibly do even better... Same with the rear end on my enduro, 2.5s fine, probably bigger.
    "It's only when you stand over it, you know, when you physically stand over the bike, that then you say 'hey, I don't have much stand over height', you know"-T. Ellsworth

You're turning black metallic.

mtbr member

If you're thinking about getting one of the new RS Pikes...

This, from another thread on the Pike: That's a 2.35 Hans Dampf.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk 2
    '14 Lenz Lunchbox
    '14 RIP 9
    '12 RIP 9
    '08 GF Ferrous 29
    '02 Trek 4300

mtbr member
    Jul 2013
    Do it already!!! Massive improvement over my 2013 Fox 34 Float 140mm. This fork is superbly supple, almost coil like. Also unlike my Fox 34, you can use all the travel on this fork. I moved the slider indicator all the up to the top of the stanchion on some bigger drops and jumps. With the Fox 34 I could never use all the exposed stanchion although I don't think you can on this particular fork even without air in it.

The stanchion length is pretty identical on the Pike vs. Fox 34, but the crown/steerer junction is much taller on the Fox and that makes up the difference in A-C length between the two.

Also for you people on the fence about going with the 140 or 150, compared to my Fox 34 140mm Float...

The Pike 150mm 51mm offset is approximately 7mm shorter than the Fox 34 in terms of Axle to Crown measurements. So it is like 10mm free travel, especially if you are already running a Fox 34 140mm.

Also the Pike 150mm weighs 4.3 lbs with full length uncut steerer, crown race and axle vs. 4.57 lbs for the Fox 34 with trimmed steerer, crown race and axle.

So take my advice, get it and while you're at it get the 150mm too.

I also have a Pike in 140mm 51mm offset that I plan on using on my Ripley when it comes in. I'll have to compare it versus the Fox 34 and 140mm Revelation that I have when I start the build.

Also, what's a thread about new gear without pics? Useless.

Attachment 812527

Sweet looking bike

AOK
    mtbr member
    Universal Cycles and Jenson are both showing stock on the 51mm offset solo air model.

mtbr member
    I have one ride on mine...here's a quick update. It's a 140mm, 46mm offset, 29er.

After riding the there is 148 mm of exposed stanchion. Axle to crown is up to 553 mm.
    Weight with uncut steerer was 1863 w/o axle, 1937 with axle.

The fork rides really well, more compression damping than a Fox 34 and a more controlled ride. The middle pedal position is my preferred setting-pedals like an XC fork, but descends better than any other 140mm fork I've ridden (F34 RLC, F34 CTD). For gravity only riding, I'd probably run it in the open position with the low speed compression turned it 4 clicks. Needs a little tuning yet, but I won't have much time to ride for awhile.
    Last edited by brentos; 07-30-2013 at 12:41 PM.
    Race Reports, PreRide Reports, and General Rambling:

www.roostersbikersedge.com
    http://www.ENVEcomposites.com

mtbr member
    May 2006

Short review here: I have one day of DH runs on mine. Buy one....

P.s. anybody want a 140mm revelation? Comes with an extra 120mm air spring.

MTB B'dos
    Duke, bit unfair a comparison though, don't ya think - Rev w/ 32mm stanchions vs Pike with 35mm stanchions Did or have you ever ridden an f34 or any other fork with bigger stanchions?

Quote Originally Posted by DukeNeverwinter View Post
    Short review here: I have one day of DH runs on mine. Buy one....
    P.s. anybody want a 140mm revelation? Comes with an extra 120mm air spring.
    One day your life will flash before your eyes, will it be worth watching??
    MTB Barbados
    My Phantom pics

mtbr member
    Feb 2009
    If you're thinking about getting one of the new RS Pikes...-hans-dampf.jpgI have a 150mm Pike and it has tire clearance for both the 2.35 Hans dampf and also the 2.5 Minion DHF. No flys on this fork! Here it is with the 2.35 hans dampf

mtbr member
    May 2006

@Lynx. I didn't notice the stiffness much compared to the Revelation, sure it may be stiffer, but it wasn't a game changer. The damper is what i love so much on the Pike.

Attached is a DHF EXO 2.5 tire clearnce
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails If you're thinking about getting one of the new RS Pikes...-uploadfromtaptalk1375218397679.jpg  

If you're thinking about getting one of the new RS Pikes...-uploadfromtaptalk1375218382647.jpg  

Page 4 of 5 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 5 LastLast