Page 3 of 5 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 5 LastLast
    mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by evasive View Post
    Perfect; I've heard the same. That fits my schedule better, too. I know what I want for Christmas.
    Kinda what I was thinking

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by FM View Post
    Everyone who's had both in hand confirms the 150mm Pike is ~7mm shorter than the 140mm Fox 34. There's a 160mm Pike on the way, which should be about the same a2c length as the 140mm fox. That would be a perfect fit for the prime, but reportedly it's months away. Sounds like an air cartridge swap is required to change travel.

Far as Talas goes, I have only found travel adjust helpful on bikes that squat under power. That has not been an issue for any of the Banshees I've owned, which is one of the reasons I like Banshee.

So 150mm solo air, or 160mm once it's available!
    The fork offset options are interesting. I opted for 51mm.
    I just measured the A-C of a Fox 34-140mm at 558mm. Anybody have a measurement on either travel Pike for comparison?

Buying parts for a Tallboy LTc tomorrow and want to be sure of which fork to get! (140 vs 150)
    Race Reports, PreRide Reports, and General Rambling:

www.roostersbikersedge.com

mtbr member
    May 2013
    I would like to put a Pike on my Stumpjumper FSR but I'm worried about the climbing capabilities regarding the longer fork. My Fox 32 130 mm has an A-C length of 538 mm, can anybody please post real A-C measurements of the 140 mm Solo Air and the 150-120 mm Dual Position Air Pike?

mtbr member
    Jul 2011
    Quote Originally Posted by jack_steel View Post
    I would like to put a Pike on my Stumpjumper FSR but I'm worried about the climbing capabilities regarding the longer fork. My Fox 32 130 mm has an A-C length of 538 mm, can anybody please post real A-C measurements of the 140 mm Solo Air and the 150-120 mm Dual Position Air Pike?
    I'm sure it will be fine. I put a 2012 Fox 34 140mm on the front of mine when I had it and as far as climbing, didn't notice a difference. The Pikes supposedly have shorter AC measurements than Fox.
    13 Lenz Lunchbox punkass

mtbr member
    Feb 2009
    As I've said previously, I might have a freak 2013 Fox 34 Float 140mm but it is about 7mm's taller at the crown than my Pike 150mm with them side by side. The Pike 140mm is significantly shorter than the Fox 34 at about 17mm shorter.

MTB B'dos
    No, you don't, mine also measures just shy of showing 150mm of stanchion. Not quite sure how or why this came about because in the early years RS had tall A2C forks vs Fox - Fox F100 was 510mm and Reba 100mm was 520mm - now it seems to have been reversed.

Jack_Steel, all I've read reported is what Colin has said, A2C of the Pike @ 150mm is about the same (little shorter) as the F34 @ 140mm. The bigger question is which offset to go with for your particular frame If you find the F34 too fast for you liking, then the lesser offset Pike my be the ticket, and vice versa, but honestly don't see these forks going on any bike with a HTA is more than 68* and for those sorts of angles can't see using anything less than a 51mm offset fork.

Quote Originally Posted by Colin+M View Post
    As I've said previously, I might have a freak 2013 Fox 34 Float 140mm but it is about 7mm's taller at the crown than my Pike 150mm with them side by side. The Pike 140mm is significantly shorter than the Fox 34 at about 17mm shorter.
    One day your life will flash before your eyes, will it be worth watching??
    MTB Barbados
    My Phantom pics

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by Bulldozer27 View Post

L O V E the looks of that bike Bulldozer. Wow. Very sharp. Have you posted up some ride reports/ bike reviews on this anywhere?

This place needs an enema
    Quote Originally Posted by jncarpenter View Post
    Tonight's ride at Lunch Loops was the first time my Zocchi has left me wanting...seems I now NEED a Pike!
    ...possibly a beefier rim/wheelset as well. I feared I might fold my Flows on multiple occasions
    I ain't gonna say I toldya so...

I'll just say 'welcome'. Look forward to riding with ya sometime this fall--you know, when the sun leaves the county for more than an hour a night!

mtbr member
    May 2013
    Quote Originally Posted by LyNx View Post
    Jack_Steel, all I've read reported is what Colin has said, A2C of the Pike @ 150mm is about the same (little shorter) as the F34 @ 140mm. The bigger question is which offset to go with for your particular frame If you find the F34 too fast for you liking, then the lesser offset Pike my be the ticket, and vice versa, but honestly don't see these forks going on any bike with a HTA is more than 68* and for those sorts of angles can't see using anything less than a 51mm offset fork.
    I never had a Fox 34 140 mm on my Stumpjumper, I have a Fox 32 130 mm and the A2C is 538 mm. I have to compare the 140 mm Pike with my current fork and because of this I kindly ask you guys to post some real measurements of your A2C length (7 mm taller does not really help).

I think, I'll go for the 51 mm offset fork to get some better low speed handling. My current HTA is 69°, with the longer fork it will be about 68° and I think 51 mm of offset will be fine.

mtbr member
    May 2013
    Quote Originally Posted by brentos View Post
    I just measured the A-C of a Fox 34-140mm at 558mm. Anybody have a measurement on either travel Pike for comparison?
    I measured the A-C of a 150 mm Pike with 568 mm. It was at Riva Bikefestival and the fork was mounted on an Enduro 29 at the Specialized booth.

mtbr member
    Jul 2011

Buying parts for a Tallboy LTc tomorrow and want to be sure of which fork to get! (140 vs 150)
    I never had a Fox 34 140 mm on my Stumpjumper, I have a Fox 32 130 mm and the A2C is 538 mm. I have to compare the 140 mm Pike with my current fork and because of this I kindly ask you guys to post some real measurements of your A2C length (7 mm taller does not really help).

I think, I'll go for the 51 mm offset fork to get some better low speed handling. My current HTA is 69°, with the longer fork it will be about 68° and I think 51 mm of offset will be fine.
    Quote Originally Posted by FM View Post
    Everyone who's had both in hand confirms the 150mm Pike is ~7mm shorter than the 140mm Fox 34. There's a 160mm Pike on the way, which should be about the same a2c length as the 140mm fox. That would be a perfect fit for the prime, but reportedly it's months away. Sounds like an air cartridge swap is required to change travel.

Far as Talas goes, I have only found travel adjust helpful on bikes that squat under power. That has not been an issue for any of the Banshees I've owned, which is one of the reasons I like Banshee.

So 150mm solo air, or 160mm once it's available!
    The fork offset options are interesting. I opted for 51mm.

Not trying to be a dick but how does this not help you. Can't you do math?

Lets see Fox 34 140 is 558mm, which is 7 mm taller than Pike 150, so Pike 150 is around 551mm making the 140 ~541mm.
    13 Lenz Lunchbox punkass

mtbr member
    May 2013
    Quote Originally Posted by TwoTone View Post
    Not trying to be a dick but how does this not help you. Can't you do math?

Lets see Fox 34 140 is 558mm, which is 7 mm taller than Pike 150, so Pike 150 is around 551mm making the 140 ~541mm.
    I measured 568 mm (Pike 150) at Riva Bike Festival this year... Maybe there are some construction variations? Official A2C of Fox 34 is 552,8±5 mm so there is some room and 558 mm should be the longest possible Fox 34.

Anyway, if the Pike 140 is around 541 mm I'll be more than happy because is just 3 mm longer than my Fox 32. Thank you for helping me with math :-)

FM
    luxatio erecta
    I'll measure mine tonight

MTB B'dos
    Just measured mine, best I can do is somewhere around 556-557mm, so could in fact be 558mm, but definitely somewhere between 556-558mm, no taller
    I measured 568 mm (Pike 150) at Riva Bike Festival this year... Maybe there are some construction variations? Official A2C of Fox 34 is 552,8±5 mm so there is some room and 558 mm should be the longest possible Fox 34.

Anyway, if the Pike 140 is around 541 mm I'll be more than happy because is just 3 mm longer than my Fox 32. Thank you for helping me with math :-)
    MTB Barbados
    My Phantom pics

mtbr member
    May 2013
    Quote Originally Posted by LyNx View Post
    Just measured mine, best I can do is somewhere around 556-557mm, so could in fact be 558mm, but definitely somewhere between 556-558mm, no taller
    Pike 150??

mtbr member
    Pike 150??
    Remember to be careful to get a true measurement parallel to the axis of the steerer, otherwise it will come out longer.

The easiest way I've found is to remove the wheel, put the axle back in the dropouts...them measure from the back of the axle to the front of the crown, running the tape behind the arch.

You may have gotten the correct measurement, just want to be sure we're all measuring the same thing.
    Race Reports, PreRide Reports, and General Rambling:

www.roostersbikersedge.com

mtbr member
    Sep 2005
    Quote Originally Posted by KRob View Post
    L O V E the looks of that bike Bulldozer. Wow. Very sharp. Have you posted up some ride reports/ bike reviews on this anywhere?
    Thanks KRob, I didn't want it to be another murdered out all-black ride

I posted about this bike in the Reviews section here, and check out the Transition forum for photo and video. Also, there is an action shot of me on the Transition website in the Customer Photos section. I point these out only to illustrate how I ride this bike, and that it easily handles the abuse.

I looked at a lot of different AM 29ers (yes, even the Banshee Prime) before pulling the trigger on this frame, and I'm confident in saying that it has cured me of upgrade-itis.

mtbr member
    Feb 2009
    condensed.

mtbr member
    Feb 2009
    edited. I can take a somewhat subtle hint

mtbr member
    Feb 2009
    Since my Fox 34 140mm is no longer installed, I took the liberty to re-measure it. From the crown/steerer junction (below the crown race) to the top edge of the axle is 558mm. The exposed stanchion is 155mm.

My Pike has 150mm exposed stanchion and uses every last mm. The crown of the Pike measured from the same reference point yields 551mm. So I'm not sure where the 565mm number is coming from, maybe the 160mm? Mine is nowhere near that tall.

Go with the 150mm, no need to go shorter as the head angle on the LTc is steep enough as is.

I have had all 3 forks in my garage at one time and they measure as such:

Fox Float 34 140mm(2013) - 558mm 4.75 lbs
    Pike 150mm Solo 51mm offset - 551mm 4.3 lbs
    Pike 140mm Solo 51mm offset - 541mm 4.3 lbs

The Pike 140mm solo air 51mm offset IS 541mm. I had one and measured it. So you will indeed be more than happy. No math required.

Got A Lust for Life...
    So now I am thinking I should replace my 34 with a 150 Pike considering the fork is shorter and had more usable travel. Kind of a no brainer. I would not mind having the bars a bit lower though...head angle I could get used to. Going on a Trance x 29.

Sent from my SCH-R530U using Tapatalk 4 Beta
    I am immune to your disdain.

mtbr member
    Feb 2009
    Quote Originally Posted by indyfab25 View Post
    So now I am thinking I should replace my 34 with a 150 Pike considering the fork is shorter and had more usable travel. Kind of a no brainer. I would not mind having the bars a bit lower though...head angle I could get used to. Going on a Trance x 29.

The absolute only downside is the $$$, otherwise it is a no brainer. Much nicer fork in my opinion than the 2013 and earlier Fox 34's.

Got A Lust for Life...

Re: If you're thinking about getting one of the new RS Pikes...

The absolute only downside is the $$$, otherwise it is a no brainer. Much nicer fork in my opinion than the 2013 and earlier Fox 34's.
    Money is not an issue as I can do an even swap selling the 34 and getting industry pricing on the pike. I could not do it otherwise. So, no brainer indeed.

I am immune to your disdain.

mtbr member
    Feb 2009
    I love my new Pike so much that I took it out sightseeing today.

If you're thinking about getting one of the new RS Pikes...-img_20130717_142450-1.jpgIf you're thinking about getting one of the new RS Pikes...-img_20130717_134431.jpg

MTB B'dos
    NO, as stated previously in the thread, it's a 2012 F34 @ 140mm.
    Pike 150??
    MTB Barbados
    My Phantom pics

Page 3 of 5 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 5 LastLast