Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast
    mtbr member

If you had to choose...Which one???

If you had to choose between one of these 3 which one would it be? I wanna get back into riding but don't have a lot to spend. I would like to get the most for my money. I wanted to stay under $700 but I could probably swing the extra $50 if it makes a difference.

Save up to 60% off new Mountain Bikes - MTB - Gravity 29Point2 29er Mountain Bikes

Save up to 60% off new Mountain Bikes - MTB - Motobecane Fantom 29PRO

Save up to 60% off new Mountain Bikes - MTB - Gravity 29Point3 29er Mountain Bikes

neeeds donation$ for bike
    gravity 29point3

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by tylerw View Post
    Which would you pick? The Gravity 29point3 or the Fantom 29COMP???

fantom 29comp

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by tylerw View Post
    fantom 29comp
    Really? Why?

frame and presta valves

mtbr member
    Jun 2012
    Dude - at that amount of coin you could get a great beginner bike from an LBS. might look into it. Not to bag on internet bikes but there are a lot of benefits in dealing with your LBS.

mtbr member
    May 2005

airborne

Maybe take a look at the Guardian. I don't know from personal experience, but seems like every time I hear Airborne mentioned it's in a good light.

Airborne Bicycles. Guardian

mtbr member
    Jan 2012
    The Gravity has better geo-- 69 degree- slacker ht angle and 445- shorter chainstay length. Very close to a Trek.
    But I would go with the Point 1 for 450. Put a Recon Gold solo air fork on for 240 from Random Bike Parts. That's a better riding trail bike for less with the next upgrade an ArchEX front wheel and SLX brakes down the road.

mtbr member
    Oct 2010
    Of those choices I'd go with the 29.3

mtbr member
    Feb 2013
    these your only options??????????? for 700 or so you can check out some other bikes

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by Bryan1113 View Post
    these your only options??????????? for 700 or so you can check out some other bikes
    These are my only options for the time being. I am open to suggestions.

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by n74740 View Post
    Maybe take a look at the Guardian. I don't know from personal experience, but seems like every time I hear Airborne mentioned it's in a good light. Airborne Bicycles. Guardian
    I this thread is a few weeks old now but I have spent this time looking around my local bike stores. They primarily sell specialized and treks. I was dead set on the new trek wahoo but then decided to revisit this thread. For the same money I can have the airborne with much better specs. I like the color of the trek better but that's something I can give up for a much better bike. I'm gonna go with the airborne. Plus all my digging for the last 2 weeks has turned up nothing but positive about it. And it basically comes tuned and ready to go according to the FAQ.

mtbr member
    Jan 2012
    The only guys having any trouble with the Guardian are heavy riders-- the fork has 28mm stanchions. But it will work for trails for 180lb riders.

mtbr member
    May 2013
    Quote Originally Posted by Wildman1024 View Post
    I this thread is a few weeks old now but I have spent this time looking around my local bike stores. They primarily sell specialized and treks. I was dead set on the new trek wahoo but then decided to revisit this thread. For the same money I can have the airborne with much better specs. I like the color of the trek better but that's something I can give up for a much better bike. I'm gonna go with the airborne. Plus all my digging for the last 2 weeks has turned up nothing but positive about it. And it basically comes tuned and ready to go according to the FAQ.
    Hi,

Also debating between the airborne guardian and specialized rockhopper 29. I just wished I could try out the guardian.

And so far, the lbs I been don't have that many options available other than specialized.

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by WarG View Post
    Hi,

Also debating between the airborne guardian and specialized rockhopper 29. I just wished I could try out the guardian.

And so far, the lbs I been don't have that many options available other than specialized.
    Yea that's the way my lbs is. They all carry either specialized or trek and want atleast 1,200 for something comparable to the airborne or anything on bikes direct. Sorry lbs but I'm taking my business online. Immot made of money...I work nights.

turtles make me hot
    I've built a handful of bikes for friends using the Gravity frames. For the money, they're pretty darn good.
    I like turtles

mtbr member
    Jul 2011
    Yea that's the way my lbs is. They all carry either specialized or trek and want atleast 1,200 for something comparable to the airborne or anything on bikes direct. Sorry lbs but I'm taking my business online. Immot made of money...I work nights.
    Have you even bothered giving them a chance to come down on price or just assume it's MSRP.

They offer a service that Airborne doesn't, you can ride the bike before you buy it, most likely offer lifetime tune ups. If that isn't worth anything to you then good luck with the bike you haven't ridden and hopefully is the right size.
    13 Lenz Lunchbox punkass

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by TwoTone View Post
    Have you even bothered giving them a chance to come down on price or just assume it's MSRP.

They offer a service that Airborne doesn't, you can ride the bike before you buy it, most likely offer lifetime tune ups. If that isn't worth anything to you then good luck with the bike you haven't ridden and hopefully is the right size.
    What's the difference if I buy from them or someone else? I still gotta pay them to do tune ups etc. why not get the most for my money! Plus with my size I basically fit 1 size...small. I don't really see what test riding is gonna do. Just looking for something decent to ride. I couldn't even tell ya what size my current bike is and I've been riding it for years.

mtbr member
    Jul 2011
    What's the difference if I buy from them or someone else? I still gotta pay them to do tune ups etc. why not get the most for my money! Plus with my size I basically fit 1 size...small. I don't really see what test riding is gonna do. Just looking for something decent to ride. I couldn't even tell ya what size my current bike is and I've been riding it for years.
    What do you think I meant by lifetime tune ups? Free. Online is a good option for you. Here is a hint though the Size small is vague, small in one brand may be closer to medium in another.

All that said if you see no value in a test ride, online is perfect for you.
    13 Lenz Lunchbox punkass

mtbr member
    What do you think I meant by lifetime tune ups? Free. Online is a good option for you. Here is a hint though the Size small is vague, small in one brand may be closer to medium in another.

All that said if you see no value in a test ride, online is perfect for you.
    It's not that I don't really see value in a test ride its that I don't see it making much of a difference for me. I do t have alot of size choices. With my specs a 13 is too small, a 18 is to big. I'm either a 15.5/16 or a 17 tops depending on what the manufacturer offers.

For the amount ill start out riding I would say better components would outweigh Maintence costs.

mtbr member
    most shops will perform basic adjustments for free as long as you buy your replacements and gear there. even modest repairs might cost$20. get the best bike

mtbr member
    Nov 2008
    Not sure if you already purchased a bike but have you ever considered checking the classified for a used bike? For $700 you can usually find a bike a few years old that originally cost double or triple the price. Some of those bikes listed have old component models anyways. When buying online, I'm not sure how warranties work, but shipping costs may sometimes be more then having a local shop tune or fix an issue. Plus if used, you can at least ask questions take it for a test ride before buying. I'm a firm believer in test rides simply because every company sizes bikes different. Small sizes might be different then the larger sizes, so im basing my info on large bikes ive owned. Currently I have a large frame from giant and niner right now and they are MUCH different. My last used purchase was a giant 2011 Xtc 29er that I paid 600 bucks for...originally cost around $1500. I also sold a 09 trancex full suspension for $850 (and took a while to sell, would have taken less if a buyer didn't come around in time). It was originally $2500! Just for reference purposes.

Or possibly compare those bikes geometries with trek, giant, specialized, jamis, khs, diamondback...whatever your local shops sell. If you can find something with similar geometry, you might be able to cross reference and user proper judgement.

Either way...buying online, Used, new at lbs...they all have pro's and con's. Make sure you choose a bike to fit for your riding style. If you plan on taking the sport serious (riding on a regular basis/several times a week), I'd personally go with the best frame and fork, and lesser quality components. Frame, suspension, and wheels will be the bulk of the cost...but offer the most noticeable improvements. A new rider is unlikely to notice a difference between SRAM x5 vs shimano SLX. When buying a bike with a rockshox dart or XC, or low model suntour...that might be the first component to go. Usually cheaper to get the suspension up front and swap components as needed...and again...why I think you'll get nicer used bike for the same price as new. Ask questions and inspect first...maybe have a trustworthy rider go with yoy. Just my 2 cents! Good luck bud!

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by drz400sm View Post
    Not sure if you already purchased a bike but have you ever considered checking the classified for a used bike? For $700 you can usually find a bike a few years old that originally cost double or triple the price. Some of those bikes listed have old component models anyways. When buying online, I'm not sure how warranties work, but shipping costs may sometimes be more then having a local shop tune or fix an issue. Plus if used, you can at least ask questions take it for a test ride before buying. I'm a firm believer in test rides simply because every company sizes bikes different. Small sizes might be different then the larger sizes, so im basing my info on large bikes ive owned. Currently I have a large frame from giant and niner right now and they are MUCH different. My last used purchase was a giant 2011 Xtc 29er that I paid 600 bucks for...originally cost around $1500. I also sold a 09 trancex full suspension for $850 (and took a while to sell, would have taken less if a buyer didn't come around in time). It was originally $2500! Just for reference purposes. Or possibly compare those bikes geometries with trek, giant, specialized, jamis, khs, diamondback...whatever your local shops sell. If you can find something with similar geometry, you might be able to cross reference and user proper judgement. Either way...buying online, Used, new at lbs...they all have pro's and con's. Make sure you choose a bike to fit for your riding style. If you plan on taking the sport serious (riding on a regular basis/several times a week), I'd personally go with the best frame and fork, and lesser quality components. Frame, suspension, and wheels will be the bulk of the cost...but offer the most noticeable improvements. A new rider is unlikely to notice a difference between SRAM x5 vs shimano SLX. When buying a bike with a rockshox dart or XC, or low model suntour...that might be the first component to go. Usually cheaper to get the suspension up front and swap components as needed...and again...why I think you'll get nicer used bike for the same price as new. Ask questions and inspect first...maybe have a trustworthy rider go with yoy. Just my 2 cents! Good luck bud!
    I appreciate your feed back and thank you for it. I do agree you can get some good deals buying used but I feel i do not know enough about it yet to judge a good deal vs bad deal. I also do not really have anybody I know who is into biking to help me out with a used purchase. I just feel more comfortable at this point buying something new that I know is a decent bike. I can always upgrade stuff later. From reading on this site and doing a little research I think the airborne guardian is the best bang for the buck for me. I'm going to be starting out as a weekend warrior. If i find I enjoy the sport more then riding on the weekend/exercising then i can save and upgrade to something better in the future. I'm also not to concerned with fitment as after doing the sizing calculator and looking at bike sizing for the airborne I only have 1 size to choose from and that's a 16". My specs do fall nicely in the ranges specified. Also most manufactures I have looked at when comparing myself to their sizing charts...9 outta 10 times I am a 15.5"/16" and only a few times I could choose from a 17" if I wanted something a little larger. Sizing for me is fairly easy.

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast