mtbr member
    Apr 2004

Ibis Ripley, or??

Hello fellow mountain bike addicts,

I havenít posted here in many, many years but I thought it was time. Yep, this is going to be another one of those ďwhich bikes should I buyĒ threads.

Itís been a hell of a couple of years, a painful divorce followed by a bitter heartbreak. Things are finally getting back to normal for me, and a good bit of that can be attributed to getting back into riding again.
    I recently moved to Northern California after living and riding on Oahu for 10 years. Iíve been riding a 2012, non-evo aluminum Stumpjumper FSR 29íer decked out with X01 11 speed and Specialized Carbon Control wheels. My rig weighs in at 28.2 lbs, so itís not the lightest nor is it the stiffest bike out there. I have absolutely loved this bike and have ridden it everywhere from Hawaii, to Moab and Vermont. Iíve decided itís time to treat myself. I deserve it after surviving all the crap.

Iíve had my heart (what is left of it) set on an Ibis Ripley for a few years. A few weekends ago I demoíed a V2 LS with the 942 carbon wheels for a few hours. Man it was nice. Fun, great climbing, nimble and fast. Iím 6í4Ē and the XL Ripley seemed to fit me just fine. Iíve heard complaints about the sizing being small, but that didnít seem to be the case. Iíve also heard complaints about the low BB height. I didnít notice that, but the trails I demoed the bike on were not particularly rocky or rooty. I could pick up a used V2 Ripley LS, or go for the new V3 that sports wider tire clearances. Iím liking the new yellow frame color.

Iíve also read a lot about the 2017 Trek Fuel EX. Iíve yet to demo this bike, but Iíve read good things about it. Another possibility would be a new carbon Stumpy 29íer.
    Additionally I have considered the Pivot 429c and the Yeti SB 4.5/5/5.5 c. So confusing...

Iím definitely not switching out of the 29íer camp, the wheel size just suites me and my height.

These days I ride Northern California and take a trip to Moab once a year. Iím not a big jumper and Iím not super fast downhill. I like riding areas that have a good mix of climbing and downhill. I love taking epic long rides to get away from it all, and I love technical twisty single track. I ride the trails up near Auburn, California quite a bit. My main goal in riding is to have fun, as well at the fitness benefits that come with that fun.

Any suggestions, recommendations on what bikes to look at? Any thoughts about the Ibis?
    Last edited by drew777; 05-08-2017 at 01:30 PM.

mtbr member
    Oct 2015
    The Trek is nice, but it needs the shock to do the work to peddle well. I'd rather the suspension keep the peddling good and the shock doing what a shock is supposed to.

On your list the Ibis and the Pivot are your best bet (I haven't tried the new Yeti) I prefer the way Ibis feel on bumps.

mtbr member
    Jan 2012
    You're in a good spot. Picking from some of the best fs bikes. I would demo the Yeti 5.5c and the Ibis Ripley V3. Keep in mind 2.6 x 29 tires are beginning to show up.

mdc
    mtbr member
    I had a first gen Ripley, and a 2015 Trek Remedy ( basically what is now the Fuel EX). The Ripley definitely pedaled better, and gave that "magic carpet" ride, smoothing out small roots etc. IMO the bike was fussy. If things were not torqued to spec, greased etc.etc. It was clicking and clacking all the time. When things were running smooth- the bike was magic. The Remedy, definitely improved my riding skills with a more aggressive geo, excellent downhill chops, and was MUCH lower maintenance. Pedaling was still really, really good- but the Ripley was better. Also the Remedy fit me better with a longer reach etc ( the new Ripley's have probably addressed this, but the first gen. were super short in reach)

I would say demo as many as you can, and pick which one fits best, and which one has a good local shop to work with in the future..

Cheers

mtbr member
    Jun 2014
    Sleeper pick, Salsa Horsethief. Reach #'s fit me better than the Pivot 429T and has a very efficient suspension design.. 'Pony rustler' build kits are a little nicer and you can just swap out some trick 29er wheels you are going to buy just about immediately anyway. As an added bonus IME most Salsa dealers are typically willing to haggle a little on price and the tech support/warranty dept at Salsa/QBP are pretty excellent.

mtbr member
    Feb 2016
    I would add the Intense Primer to your list. They will be at China Camp in San Rafael this weekend with Elevation Bike Company to demo their bikes.

mtbr member
    I live in the same area you do and ride Auburn weekly. I have had an Ibis ripley OG, (got rid of it because it was the noisest bike I have ever had) Specailized Epic 29, Pivot 429trail and a Giant Trance 29er in the past 5 years. I am on Intense Primer now. Biggest difference between those bikes and the Primer is geometry. The Primer is a good example of the new school 29 geo, longer toptube and reach, shorter seat stays, and steeper seatube angle. Before I bought the Primer I test rode the Pivot Switchblade, Santa Cruz 5010 and the Hightower. I loved the geometry of all those bikes. They all seemed to fit and pedal very well and have the new goemetry. I did a search on ebay one Saturday night and and a new primer frame was listed. It has that new school geometry so of course I bought it because it was listed at 1750 buy it now

What you need to do is test ride bikes, figure out what geometry you like. In our area Victory Velo and Mikes bikes has Santa Cruz to test out. The Auburn bike company has Ibis and the Hub in Roseville has Intense. Make an excel spreadsheet of the geometry numbers so you can see how the bikes compare. Go online to the numbers of the bikes you like and of bikes that are in the same category. The newer 29ers are vastly different from 29ers from even two years ago.
    Last edited by rollinrob; 05-09-2017 at 05:20 PM.

mtbr member
    Jul 2011
    Quote Originally Posted by rollinrob View Post
    I live in the same area you doandride Auburn weekly. I have had an Ibis ripley OG, (gotrid ofitbecuaseit was the noisest bike I have ever had) Specailized Epic 29, Pivot 429trail and a Giant Trance 29er in the past 5 years. I am on Intense Primer now. Biggest difference between those bikes and the Primer is geometry. The Primer is a good example of the new school 29 geo, longer toptube and reach, shorter seat stays, and steeper seatube angle. Before I bought the Primer I test rode the Pivot Switchblade, Santa Cruz 5010 and the Hightower. I loved the geometry of all those bikes. They all seemed to fit and pedal very well and have the new goemetry. I did a search on ebay one Saturday night and and a new primer frame was listed. Ithas that new school goemetry so of course I bought it because it was listed at 1750 buy it now

What you need to do is test ride bikes, figure out what geometry you like. In our area Victory Velo and Mikes bikes has Santa Cruz to test out. The Auburn bike company has Ibis and the Hub in Roseville has Intense. Make an excel spreadsheet of the geometry numbers so you can see how the bikes compare. Go online to the numbers of the bikes you like and of bikes that are in the same category. The newer 29ers are vastly different from 29ers from even two years ago.
    His post is a perfect example of why you need to test ride. Like you OP I've always wanted a Ripley, but for a while never ended up with one. Kept reading about how great the 'new long and slack' geo is.

Had several, not for me. I was just screwing around on the web and CC had the OG Ripley marked down to $1850, so I jumped on it, less than 8 hours later they fixed their mistake but honored my sale.

Love it fits me perfectly, but again I don't like the new geo everyone is coming out with. I'm 5' 11'' with a 31'' true inseam.
    Running a large with a 70mm stem.

The simplest way to describe it for me is to say it's a big wheeled BMX bike.

I don't like the way Specialized horst links squat down when they climb, if you liked the Ripley, I doubt you'd like a Specialized. I've read Treks are nice, but as mentioned that magic seems to depend on the shock. Every thread here about Fuel Exs says to step up in models to make sure you get the Reactive shock. I'd prefer not to depend on that.
    OG Ripley v2
    Mojo 3- For Sale
    Carver 420 TI

mtbr member
    Mar 2011
    Various bike sites have bike comparisons/shoot outs so read up on them and see what bikes might appeal to you. Or just see what's available for you to demo. Ultimately you need to demo a few bikes and see which one suits you best. There's a ton of great bikes out each with their own dynamics and personalities.
    Everyone is entitled to my opinion.

mtbr member
    Apr 2004
    Yes, I have demoed a few bikes so far. Loved the Ripley LS, I tried a newer specialized Stumpy carbon and it wasn't too different than the one I am riding. Now I am working on demoing a Yeti SB4.5 or 5.5.

mtbr member
    Apr 2004
    I've been talking to the guys at Auburn Bike Company and they have been super friendly and helpful.

mtbr member
    Jan 2004
    Quote Originally Posted by Cerberus75 View Post
    The Trek is nice, but it needs the shock to do the work to peddle well. I'd rather the suspension keep the peddling good and the shock doing what a shock is supposed to.

On your list the Ibis and the Pivot are your best bet (I haven't tried the new Yeti) I prefer the way Ibis feel on bumps.
    If you know how to pump the shock is also the Trek's strength. I rode Remedy 29 with the shock against an earlier Ripley. Both great bikes but on a test loop where guys swapped top bikes my wanting a DW or VPP bike disappeared when I realized how great the Trek shock is.

To the OP, my suggestion is delay gratification and test bikes. Look for demo events at trails and places where you can rent them. That was really worth it for me. It let me know how many great bikes there are and also shattered what I thought about brands, designs and wheel size. It made it really easy to commit to the purchase with no regrets or afterthoughts.
    ƃuoɹʍ llɐ ʇno əɯɐɔ ʇɐɥʇ

mtbr member
    I have the Intense Primer as well and bought it specifically (as a 29er) to start doing some 30-50 mile non-competitive endurance events. I'm only 5-8 but think I adapted to the geometry so well because my Mach 6 and newer 5010 are similar. I'm very impressed with the Primer so far, especially on techy climbs. I also demo'd the Yeti SB4.5 and liked it as well but I found a deal on the Primer that was too good to pass up.
    2017 Intense Primer
    2016 Santa Cruz 5010
    2014 Pivot Mach 6
    2011 Niner Air 9 (de facto road bike)

mtbr member
    Apr 2004
    The Yeti SB5.5 looks like a real contender. I watched the 2017 bible of bike tests video about it. Seems very interesting. I'm trying to line up a demo, not sure if I'll be able to find an XL to test. Looks like the Yeti would be a bit more expensive than the Ibis, but the switch infinity system is very interesting. The Yeti has more travel than the Ibis but claims to still be a decent climber.

mtbr member
    Jun 2014
    Quote Originally Posted by drew777 View Post
    The Yeti SB5.5 looks like a real contender. I watched the 2017 bible of bike tests video about it. Seems very interesting. I'm trying to line up a demo, not sure if I'll be able to find an XL to test. Looks like the Yeti would be a bit more expensive than the Ibis, but the switch infinity system is very interesting. The Yeti has more travel than the Ibis but claims to still be a decent climber.
    No main triangle bottle cage possibility 😕

mtbr member
    Apr 2004
    That's a bit of a bummer but not a total deal killer for me if it rides better than the Ripley.

mtbr member
    You might want to go check out Victory Velo, they just brought in Yeti a couple of months ago. I know they had them in a month ago for a demo day.

Chris Bling
    If you are including the 5.5c with 160mm of travel, you can leave out the Evil Wreckoning. The Ibis and 5.5c are vastly different bikes meant for different things.

I had a Ripley LS and loved it. I really liked the 120mm platform, but ended up pushing the bike a little too close to its unhappy point. I opted for a Wreckoning to keep with a playful, pedalable bike that would keep me safer doing sketchy trails.

Sent from my SPH-L720T using Tapatalk
    The obsession of wheels fused with the passion of cycling
    Affordable Custom Wheels

mtbr member
    Jun 2009
    It's a surprisingly good climber, and an absolute ripper when pointed down.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

mtbr member
    Apr 2004
    True, the SB5.5 and the Ripley are different bikes. The Rip might be more appropriate for the well groomed trails I seem to encounter in my area. However, the SB5.5 really intrigues me.

mtbr member
    I'd definitely test ride the Yeti, I think a 160mm fork is where you get into the area of the bike feeling a bit too squishy on flats.

My Jeffsy is 140mm, and even being pretty 'poppy' at the expense of not being as plush as other bikes, it's good enough on flats but not great.
    Yamaguchi Cross ē YT Jeffsy ē Salsa Mukluk & Vaya ē Canyon Commuter

mtbr member
    Apr 2004
    Well, I demoed a Yeti SB4.5 today. Unfortunately it was a large, and I really should be on an extra large. The bike felt good, the suspension was quite nice. I felt the Ripley climbed a bit better, but I blame that on the fact that I was on a frame that was too small for me. I think I've narrowed it down to these two bikes. The Rip has a tiny bit more travel, can take a bigger tire and can accommodate a bottle cage in the center triangle. The Yeti SB4.5 seems a bit more plush, is lighter but a bit more expensive at would seem to only be able to take a 2.25 or 2.3 tire on the rear. I don't really care about the bottle cage, and I'm not sure if I care or not about the larger tire clearance of the Ripley.
    If anything, I'm just more confused...
    Ideal I would have like to have tested them both in XL and both on the same day.

mtbr member
    Jun 2009
    The 4.5, and the Switch Infinity platform in general, is one of the best pedaling bikes out there. I love my DW bikes, own a 429T and have ridden almost everything in the Pivot line. The Yeti is just as good, possibly even a little snappier climbing, and still super smooth and active.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

mtbr member
    Feb 2015
    Yeti SB4.5c VS. Ibis Ripley, that is the question...

I own a Ripley V2 OG, never thought I would own a bike with such "outdated" geometry but it's been awesome for me. I was all about mid travel 27.5 trail bikes, until I test rode a Specialized Epic S-Works at a demo event at my home turf. I actually wanted to test ride the new Camber but they were on high demand so my buddy and I rode the Epic instead. I was blown away at how fun a pure XC bike could be at my home trail. After that demo event I bought a OG Ripley. It didn't pedal as well as the Epic of course but it isn't far off. Ripley climbs really really well! For a set-and-forget set up, can't beat the Ripley. And the handling of the OG? FORGET ABOUT IT! Pure joy on that orange beauty.

I recently took delivery of a Yeti SB6C, had only one ride on it so far, it pedal pretty well also. It isn't the rocket launcher like my Ripley, but my Ripley has Ibis 928 wheels + XC tires, and the stock SB6C has Race Face Aeffect-R with Mountain King 2.4 tires. I had high expectation of the SB6C's climbing ability so that first ride didn't surprise me, it climbed as well as I expected it to, which is pretty well, with my rear shock left wide open. I can only imagine how well the SB4.5C can climb.

If tire clearance isn't a major concern, then Ripley V2 could be the winner. With the newly released Ripley V3, all the V2 will drop their value. V2 has pretty good tire clearance already anyway. I highly recommend you test ride an OG Ripley if you can find one.

At the end of the day, you are deciding between two super bikes, Ferrari or Lamborghini, there is no way you will make the wrong decision. NO WAY!

mtbr member
    Jan 2016
    I'm on a Ripley LS right now and my wife is on a Ripley LS V3. The new Nobby Nic 2.6's are around a 1/4" taller than the 2.35 NN. The combonation of the new Addix rubber compound with extra volumn give a noticable incresese in traction and dampining - similar to the feel of a DH casing. The bike feels a little more confient and surefooted as a result.
    I'm supprised with the seemingly small updates to the V3.

mtbr member
    I just got the Yeti SB5.5, and I am stoked. It climbs super well (live in Utah..lots of climbing), and forget about the decents...So sick. You will not regret this purchase.

mtbr member
    Consider the Turner CZAR with a 120mm fork. Will eat Auburn for lunch.

mtbr member
    Keep an eye on Transition's 2018 lineup. Rumor has it they have an updated carbon Smuggler on the way. Of course the current alloy Smuggler is a great bike as it is. I've ridden one for two years now and have thoroughly enjoyed it!