Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast
    dwt
    mtbr member

I "Old manized" my Tall Boy carbon

I've been riding 27.5" bikes for 2 years now. 275 has come out with some great long travel Trail and AM bikes and some svelte racing hardtails, but has been slow to address the 4" XC FS market.

For that reason, I decided to go with a TBc for my latest bike. Don't need or want the LT, just a lightish XC FS for fast and aggressive XC riding.

One reason I held out for so long before getting a 29'er was the question of gearing. The whole "pedal harder" and "suck it up" movement has zero resonance for aging boomers. Like Im suddenly going to gain a bunch of new strength and be able to pedal 29" hoops with gearing developed years ago for 26" wheels? Yeah, right.

Shimano's new 610 crank with a triple option w/ 40-30-22 rings won't be out till 2014. Until then, riders wanting lower gearing have to mix and match and jury rig. When I got the TB, first thing did was swap the 42T for a bash, and ride bash-32-24 with 11-36 ten speed cassette. I have zero need for a 42T ring on a 29'er. Never spun out 32:11. High gears not an issue with wagon wheels. I was fairly happy with the low gears, but still had a hankering for something lower like the 610 groupo.

There is a decent supply of after market 30t rings out there; direct mount spline rings in many sizes are made by e13, north shore billet, and Wolf Tooth. If you want 104bcd, only game in town is Andersen machining. http://andersenmachine.wordpress.com/

Wolf Tooth "will be" offering them later this summer, but they are 1X specific and lack two features of Andersen rings: shift ramps, and threaded holes in the ring. Since I am running 2x, I wanted ramps and ordered the Andersen. Installed it today along with a 22T granny I had lying around. Bash-30-22 shifts fine on the stand, but I won't have a chance to take it out for a real test ride for a few days. Do wonder if 30:11 will be a high enough high; but no doubt 30:36 will be a spinny low.

Two other modifications: replace 70 mm stem with 90; cut 700 mm bar to 610. Don't need AM cockpit on XC bike. Plus I ride tight NE singletrack and 700mm bar would leave me with bruised pinkies or worse, would get caught up on tree and spin my wheel 90 deg. to the trail.
    Old enough to know better. And old enough not to care. Best age to be.

mtbr member
    Jun 2009
    I've got the same setup. Bike and gearing with the Anderson 30t. I never move it from the 30t. But as a bail out I put an action tec 39t cog in the rear I have seen some rear cogs as big as 41t on eBay in case you want to run the 30t only. I Usually never use the 39t rear. I think you'll go fast enough on the trail but if you plan to race the 30t chainring will not cut it. You're really going to like the 30t for everyday use though

Axe
    Custom User Title
    So you did not like the Solo?

NedwannaB
    Quote Originally Posted by Axe View Post
    Solo is not 4" XC. Peaty rides one for cryin out loud!.....
    Wait,who did he tell you that?....

Axe
    Custom User Title
    Quote Originally Posted by JMac47 View Post
    Solo is not 4" XC. Peaty rides one for cryin out loud!.....
    5" is the new 4".

mtbr member
    Jun 2008
    Good post on "old manizing" any 29er. I kind of mongrelized my drivetrain; ordered the bike with XT triple, ditched the big ring for a bash guard, kept the 32 but threw on an old 9-sp 22t. It works but shifting is a little dodgy, so I'll probably get a 10-sp compatible 22 to put on next time I change out the chain. I went up a frame size and put on a shorter stem, got the fit I want. Only issue left is the lower link/rear triangle connection isn't very well-protected by the bash guard. The 22-36 combo works really well for any hill I am capable of climbing, and the rest of the time the 32-10sp cassette combo works for the trails here in the PNW. Next: my old wrists need more protection; has anyone put a 140 fork up front, and how did that work out?

AZ
    banned
    20/30/40 Middleburn rings is my method.

Mulleticious
    Can't see why you'd want to go lower than 24:36 myself. Lower than that you'd be standing still... Maybe I'm not old enough yet :-)

mtbr member
    Jan 2013
    5" is the new 4".
    5'' is the new 4'' indeed!! :-)

dwt
    mtbr member

Quote Originally Posted by BigwheelsRbest View Post
    Can't see why you'd want to go lower than 24:36 myself. Lower than that you'd be standing still... Maybe I'm not old enough yet :-)
    Guess not, but don't worry. You'll get there.

dwt
    mtbr member

Had I known about the Solo, I would have gone for it. When ordered the TB, SC had announced the Bronson, but I don't need that kind if travel, and am not interested in a tank. The SC dealer either didn't know about the Solo, or chose not to tell me. Needed a 29'er for the quiver anyway

mtbr member
    Sep 2011
    Quote Originally Posted by BigwheelsRbest View Post
    you need to work on your trackstands

NedwannaB
    5" is the new 4".
    True, true.

Airborne Flight Crew
    RaceFace will be releasing 30t chain rings soon...

https://www.facebook.com/RacefacePerformance?fref=ts
    Airborne Flight Crew

Jerry Hazard website

dwt
    mtbr member

Quote Originally Posted by jhazard View Post
    RaceFace will be releasing 30t chain rings soon...
    Note that the race face rings are for 1X, as are the Wolf Tooth 30T in 104 bcd. Andersen makes the only ramped 30T ring in 104 bcd for more than 1X.

Another thing to keep in mind with 30T in 104 bcd is that you need to file or grind the ends of your spider so that the chain doesn't hit them. 30T is the absolute smallest ring that can be squeezed onto 104bcd.

If/when I go to 1X, it will be with spline direct mount rings on SRAM X9 cranks. No chain issues; no chainring nuts/bolts. Rings with less teeth than 30 even available. Also, Wolf Tooth rings will have the same tooth pattern as SRAM XX1, so that if you also run a clutch rear der., no need for heavy expensive chain guide.

Airborne Flight Crew
    Quote Originally Posted by dwt View Post
    Note that the race face rings are for 1X, as are the Wolf Tooth 30T in 104 bcd. Andersen makes the only ramped 30T ring in 104 bcd for more than 1X.

Another thing to keep in mind with 30T in 104 bcd is that you need to file or grind the ends of your spider so that the chain doesn't hit them. 30T is the absolute smallest ring that can be squeezed onto 104bcd.

If/when I go to 1X, it will be with spline direct mount rings on SRAM X9 cranks. No chain issues; no chainring nuts/bolts. Rings with less teeth than 30 even available. Also, Wolf Tooth rings will have the same tooth pattern as SRAM XX1, so that if you also run a clutch rear der., no need for heavy expensive chain guide.
    Good point about the 1X stuff.

However, the RaceFace rings are supposed to be spaced inwards - so no filing/modifying the crank arm will be necessary. Also the mounting hardware will consist of bolts only - no nuts on the backside. They will have shims available depending on brand of crank. Not a RF shill, just though it was a keen solution, for the longest time I could only find the Wolf Tooth stuff...

RaceFace 30t ring

Of course, it's moot if one is going to run 2X.
    Airborne Flight Crew

Jerry Hazard website

mtbr member
    Jan 2004
    Quote Originally Posted by TFitz View Post
    Good post on "old manizing" any 29er. I kind of mongrelized my drivetrain; ordered the bike with XT triple, ditched the big ring for a bash guard, kept the 32 but threw on an old 9-sp 22t. It works but shifting is a little dodgy, so I'll probably get a 10-sp compatible 22 to put on next time I change out the chain. I went up a frame size and put on a shorter stem, got the fit I want. Only issue left is the lower link/rear triangle connection isn't very well-protected by the bash guard. The 22-36 combo works really well for any hill I am capable of climbing, and the rest of the time the 32-10sp cassette combo works for the trails here in the PNW. Next: my old wrists need more protection; has anyone put a 140 fork up front, and how did that work out?
    Shameless spam... Here's the solution to the exposed pivot. : Rock protection for Santa Cruz and Niner frames - Buy and Sell and Review Mountain Bikes and Accessories

mtbr member
    If you're old enough, you should remember when bikes had a 28x28 low (26"), harder even than today's middle ring in a 29er (32x36@29" = 25.8")

So suck it up and pedal harder

banned
    Aug 2012
    Kids will never understand, and they have no clue what it used to be like.

Good for you, OP ... If it rocks your boat, go for it !!!

dwt
    mtbr member

Quote Originally Posted by seat_boy View Post
    If you're old enough, you should remember when bikes had a 28x28 low (26"), harder even than today's middle ring in a 29er (32x36@29" = 25.8")

So suck it up and pedal harder
    When 28x28 was the low, I was young and strong enough to suck it up. Luckily more parts are available now that I'm old and feeble. Next year, most 29'ers will come stock with Shimano 610. Mark my words.

P.S. you know you're getting old when you decide it's time to hit from the gold tees and nobody gives you any crap about it.

I should be out riding
    Sep 2004

Re: I "Old manized" my Tall Boy carbon

I figure golf can wait until I'm tfitz's age.

I went with a TBc this year as well. I don't know that I'd have gone with a solo over the tb, but had it been out I'd have certainly given it serious thought (Ripley too for that matter). I went 2x, but did it by using a 3x xt crank and replacing the middle with a 36. So 24/36 x 11/36. I'm happy with it so far. It could be a little lower. I rented a tb with a 26/38 double and realized quickly that it wasn't low enough for me.

Sent from my Nexus 7 using Tapatalk 2

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by Dirty $anchez View Post
    20/30/40 Middleburn rings is my method.
    Yup. Just did this on a recent Vassago build. Works for the creepy crawly steeps as well as fireroads.
    Use it, use it, use it while you still have it.

mtbr member
    Jun 2008
    I love being old & wise

I think age, power output and terrain all matter: where I live and ride, there are many, many climbs that are well over 10% and 30-60 min long. If I lived or rode where climbs were 5-10 (or even 20) min long, I might choose different gearing.

I went though the same thing when building up my new (and first) 29r. First thing I did was to track what gears I used... I had a 26r with 22/32/44 and a 12-34. After keeping track of what I used routinely, I made a gear chart for the 26r and also for the 29r with different combos. I was shocked to see what XX1 w/ smallest chainring gave me: I "Old manized" my Tall Boy carbon-image.jpg

So, while I gave up my lowest gear, I was dropping around 5lbs on the bike and I'm down 5+lbs myself... I realized I was using the "2nd" 19.1" gear a lot. And: I live at the top of a 3.5mi, 9-10% grade road... I like to be able to spin 90rpms up the road and keep hr in my "Zone 2"/all day riding pace. I can always choose a bigger gear.

Verdict? I love it! And I'm glad I put the smallest ring avail (for XX1) on there and kept the low gearing. You can also see I gave up one top end gear - but spinning the current top gear puts me at we'll over 20 mph

mtbr member
    Dec 2005
    Though I read a lot about the lack of a matching drive-train for 29'rs, I never found it a problem.
    Riding 36/22 and 9 speed cassette for about 4 years now.
    Went for this gearing with the Tallboy and the Air9.
    No need for a triple, so I dremeled the teeth from 44 tooth chain ring of an worn XTR 970 crank to form a bash and added a 36 tooth TA ring on the middle position.

NedwannaB
    Quote Originally Posted by Dikkie View Post
    Though I read a lot about the lack of a matching drive-train for 29'rs, I never found it a problem.
    Riding 36/22 and 9 speed cassette for about 4 years now.
    Went for this gearing with the Tallboy and the Air9.
    No need for a triple, so I dremeled the teeth from 44 tooth chain ring of an worn XTR 970 crank to form a bash and added a 36 tooth TA ring on the middle position.
    I have the same crank (36/22) sitting aside to put on when I get tired of my now SS 29r setup. Either that or it will go straight onto a TB frame if I can gather funds to grab one to build up. I think it will be the perfect 2x gearing match for the big wheels and what I ride with them.

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast