mtbr member
    Jun 2009

I was getting a Dakota Comp...

However, since I had a couple of weeks till the big purchase I kept shopping around and eventually decided I liked the 29rs better. I also came across a couple of bikes that i'm torn on and thought maybe some of you guys can help give some insight on which may be better.

One shop has a Q-ball
    http://www.thebicycleescape.com/Imag...llgear_BIG.jpg
    Mechanical brakes but he said they're top of the line... Can't remember the name off the top of my head though. Also comes with an X-9 rear and I believe an X-7 front. RS Reba fork for 1239

Another has a Gary Fisher X-Caliber 09 model
    http://www.fisherbikes.com/bike/archivemodel/471
    Hydro brakes, aluminum frame over steel and costs 1450

Both shops have a good CS department and a good rep from riders i've spoken to. I'm leaning towards the Q-ball because of the specs but noone I know has any experience with the Q-ball frame.

Any suggestions?

Birthday Collector
    Scott Quiring is a good frame builder - makes a great product for the $$ - I see that they sell the frame by itself, and have a "build kit". What was the price on the Jamis? Good bike too as is the Fisher. Ride all three and select the one that feels the best, if the components are similar. How much to upgrade the brakes on the Q-ball?
    R.I.P. Corky 10/97-4/09
    Disclaimer: I sell and repair bikes for a living
    http://www.endlesscyclesonline.com

mtbr member
    Jun 2009
    The Dakota Comp was 1400 but I'm liking the 29rs better. I guess I'm stuck at the two bikes because I'm not sure which is the better deal.

808+909 = Party Good Time
    If you are going the 29ers I would ride both but from what you have written I would take the Q-Ball hands down. Nice bikes those. And those mech brakes would have been Avid BB7's otherwise they are not the top of the line but nice spec on both all the same.

And here is some Q-Ball threads

Q-ball info

QBALL me!

Have fun deciding and riding.

Birthday Collector
    Jamis makes 29'ers also - if that is an option you are interested in, that would work well too - they ride nicely IMO. Still the Q-Ball with BB7's would be a great bike, and US made frame too, if I'm not mistaken!
    R.I.P. Corky 10/97-4/09
    Disclaimer: I sell and repair bikes for a living
    http://www.endlesscyclesonline.com

mtbr member
    Get the Q-Ball. Proven 29er geometry (nearly identical to the very popular Surly Karate Monkey), steel (much more forgiving than aluminum), American/independent manufacturing, and of the highest quality. The build looks good, the price isn't bad, and those brakes are preferred by many riders to even top-of-the-line hydraulic systems. Go for it!

CB2
    Jam Econo
    Q-Ball.
    US made frame for little more than an import, from a respected builder who's been doing 29'ers from the get go.
    I like BB7's better than hydros. Easier to setup and greater pad clearance.

mtbr member
    Jun 2009
    Sounds great, i'm calling my LBS today to have it put aside. It also frees up about 300 in my budget to either sink into gear or get a more expensive bike for my GF... Probably gear

mtbr member
    Jun 2009
    Also, I rode both but only around the corner and in nothing I could really test the bike out under. Both felt very comfortable to me.

mtbr member
    Jun 2009
    Well, I ended up getting the Q-Ball 29r... Paid 1230 for it but by the time I wakjed out the store I had racked up a nice 1800 dollar bill... Took it for a quick ride around town before my dentist appt and quickly realized I have a long way to go to get into shape.

mtbr member
    What did you get for the extra $570?

I hope you didn't do to much before even riding it. The wheels would have been a very nice upgrade for that price.

mtbr member
    Great choice!!! You'll love that Q-Ball I predict!

mtbr member
    Jun 2009
    Tools, roaside pump shock pump helmet hydration pack spare tube etc plus tax

mtbr member
    Jun 2009
    Ih and a car rack

mtbr member
    Jun 2009
    Some pics after my initial road test...Already impaled my calf on the front sprocket! Good times
    Attached Images Attached Images

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by Chayse
    Some pics after my initial road test...Already impaled my calf on the front sprocket! Good times
    Good choice looks great..You did say you grabbed a Camel back right? I'd loose the pump from the frame and just carry inside of the CB..NO chance of it falling off and it will just make the bike look abit cleaner..Just a thought, congrats and enjoy.....CF.

Drinking the Slick_Juice
    single speed it!!!! those are horizontal dropouts right?
    "If women don't find handsome , they should at least find you handy."-Red Green

mtbr member
    Jun 2009
    Yeah, picked up a hydration pack(in the picture) I didn't have a water bottle or cage and when I opened the pump and saw mounts I couldn't resist bolting something

Not really sure what a horizontal dropout is but not sure if SS is for me. Just going on the side streets with the hills I was constantly changing gears... Might be something to look into later once i've got into enough shape to not have to load the ***** gears to get up a hill.

mtbr member
    Awesome Q-Ball!!! Enjoy it.

mtbr member
    Jun 2009
    Good thing I opted for the shock pump... Seems the salseman allowed me to go out the door with the fork having only 80psi in it. Using the tale tell chart on the fork and looking at my weight I should have been set at roughly 140psi. Amazing how much better she rides now

I'm still learning but it's a fun process.

Beware the Blackbuck!
    Mar 2008
    Sweet Qball, I'm a bit jealous. With Scott's reputation, that frame should last you just about forever. I'm going to have to agree with the suggestion to pull the gears off; maybe give it a shot after you've ridden it around a while. I remember riding to work with gears and I would end up shifting lower and lower and lower on climbs until I was barely moving and exhausted at the top. I thought I was in terrible shape. With a SS, I stood up on the climbs, and would be at the top before I knew it, not exhausted, and I'd still have some speed up.

Either way enjoy that thing!