mtbr member
    Mar 2008

I drank the Koolaid and it sucked!!!

Yup I was a victim as many more will be however I'm not ashamed to admit guilt. I dove on the 27.5 after selling my 29er and I had to learn the hard way. What they say is true, you don't miss it until its gone. I have respect for my Santa Cruz 5010 but it can't hold a candle to my Giant Anthem X. Now before anyone goes on the defense, this is solely based on my opinion and the type of riding that I do. Single track, particularly flat with roots and the occasional incline and decline in the terrain. Does the 27.5 have its place within the industry? Absolutely, but to say that its going to replace or that its the best of both worlds, I totally disagree. It's time to take a loss on this new bike and move on. Why would anyone ride something second to what you know is better is beyond me but I'm sure the pocket book would be the first hurdle which is totally understandable. I don't regret my SC 5010 purchase, love the geo and I'm sure this will lead to a Santa Cruz Tallboy being next in my stables. Gotta love the false hype but it sure did work on me. Oh well, you win some you lose some. Thoughts?

mtbr member
    Aug 2013

I drank the Koolaid and it sucked!!!

There is a reason the Anthem X is reviewed so well.....it's just better than anything else out there. If it ain't broke, don't fix it
    '14 Giant Anthem Adv 29
    '13 Giant Anthem 29
    '13 Trek Superfly 29
    '11 Trek 4300 Disc

Never Satisfied...
    Jan 2009
    That bad?

I too sold my Anthem X 29er for the latest and greatest... I picked up an Anthem Advanced 1 27.5

I can't say I'm disappointed, but I did go and get me a full carbon 29er hard-tail last week because I missed my big wheels (I had been on 29ers since 2007)...

I'll ride both I guess... The damn 27.5 wasn't cheap...

Quote Originally Posted by Jubei30 View Post
    Yup I was a victim as many more will be however I'm not ashamed to admit guilt. I dove on the 27.5 after selling my 29er and I had to learn the hard way. What they say is true, you don't miss it until its gone. I have respect for my Santa Cruz 5010 but it can't hold a candle to my Giant Anthem X. Now before anyone goes on the defense, this is solely based on my opinion and the type of riding that I do. Single track, particularly flat with roots and the occasional incline and decline in the terrain. Does the 27.5 have its place within the industry? Absolutely, but to say that its going to replace or that its the best of both worlds, I totally disagree. It's time to take a loss on this new bike and move on. Why would anyone ride something second to what you know is better is beyond me but I'm sure the pocket book would be the first hurdle which is totally understandable. I don't regret my SC 5010 purchase, love the geo and I'm sure this will lead to a Santa Cruz Tallboy being next in my stables. Gotta love the false hype but it sure did work on me. Oh well, you win some you lose some. Thoughts?

mtbr member
    Mar 2008
    Lefty I agree, unfortunately the one reason I got rid of the Anthem X was because of its limitations outside of the XC realm. If it were a semi aggressive XC/Trail demon this thread would have never existed.

Tree Crasher
    the one reason I got rid of the Anthem X was because of its limitations outside of the XC realm
    That's why I have one of each. A 5" Blur 26er, a 4" HiFi 29er. I'm intrigued by the current crop of short chainstay trail 29ers but I'd have to liquidate both and add another $3K. Both of them were bought / built before prices went psycho. Besides, hopping and wheeling a wagon wheel sucks so I'll keep my current setup.

Guess this ain't the thread to disclose which one I have more fun with.
    CRAP... I'm in the wrong gear

mtbr member
    Jul 2013
    Quote Originally Posted by Jubei30 View Post
    ... the type of riding that I do. Single track, particularly flat with roots and the occasional incline and decline in the terrain.
    A 29" bike with Maestro suspension on the back is basically the ticket for that type of riding, even the VPP setups aren't quite as strong for that application (VPP and DW link really shine grappling over chunky climbs more than pedaling efficiency on smoother stuff, which is where Maestro with the right shock setup is unparalleled in my experience)

I'm just riding what I have until some of the trickle-down drivetrains mean that alloy long travel/trail 29ers can use 1x11 drivetrains and be designed around them, and get that compact tail with rearward seat tube angle and be just as fun to ride... not that I'm in any way unhappy with my 5" travel 29er right now, but when hilariously nimble ones in the same travel range come out I might decide to take another look at what's out there.

mtbr member
    Oct 2005
    Quote Originally Posted by rockhop View Post
    That's why I have one of each.
    Yup, horses for courses. I have a 29" HT, a 110mm travel 29" FS and a 160mm travel 650b bike on the way. Each has a clear purpose. If you do not want or can own more bikes than 1, you better make a good choice!

mtbr member
    Feb 2009
    5010 and an Anthem are drastically different bikes.

Some places the Anthem will shine, other places I wouldn't even think about an Anthem on certain trails that I would still rock a 5010 on.

mtbr member
    Mar 2009
    n+1 is the answer--not wheel size.